• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Police department disbands motorcycle unit, turns focus on distracted driving

190220_SPPDDistractedDriving.jpg

Feb 21, 2019

The police department in St. Paul, Minnesota, faced a tough call this year.

Their motorcycle officers and historic equestrian unit (dating back to 1865!) were popular with the community. But new challenges, like the rise of distracted driving and increased injuries for officers on motorcycles and horses, prompted a drastic reorganization within the department. “In an effort to improve efficiencies, effectiveness and better respond to emerging public safety concerns,” the SPPD ultimately chose to end its Mounted and Motors units.

The move affects 12 officers, who will be moved off their mounts and into patrol cars. The SPPD explained the reasons for ditching the bikes and horses. First, calls for service have increased in Saint Paul, and the SPPD mostly needs patrol cars to dispatch these calls, not bikes or horses. Then there’s officer safety. “Mounted and Motors officers are hurt more frequently than traditional patrol officers — and their injuries tend to be more severe,” said Saint Paul police spokesman Steve Linders...

...Yeah, you read that right. The SPPD says it’s too dangerous for their officers to ride motorcycles, and distracted driving is part of the problem.

“We are seeing an increase in distracted driving," observed Linders. “And the consequences can’t be ignored.”...

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I'm guessing there's more to the story...
    The motorcycle and equestrian units aren't used in the winter I would think. So that's manpower used elsewhere for maybe 6 months depending on weather. My guess is that some admin with little love for those historical units has found a way to 'justify' spending those dollars elsewhere.
    But that's my thoughts anyway.

Stay safe

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm guessing there's more to the story...
    The motorcycle and equestrian units aren't used in the winter I would think. So that's manpower used elsewhere for maybe 6 months depending on weather. My guess is that some admin with little love for those historical units has found a way to 'justify' spending those dollars elsewhere.
    But that's my thoughts anyway.

Stay safe

When the weather isn't conducive for motorcycles, the officers do the same job but in a car.

Horses are pretty weather proof, but mounted cops also have a car.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nice looking bikes, I wonder where they will go.

Probably back to Harley... unless, since they are disbanding the unit, some really cool city official will allow them to buy their old rides. Ha! Who am I kidding.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't see a need for any police department to have a motorcycle unit. I can see having an equestrian unit for big cities that see a lot of protests, officers on horseback are good for crowd control.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Whitestown has three motorcycle units. You know, they have quite a need for that type of thing up here in Boone County. Not sure if they roll in tandem with the sheriff’s SWAT unit when they bring the tank out though !

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder if some of the smaller department motorcycle officers are more along the line of them being motorcycle enthusiasts that were able to find funding for their desire to patrol while riding or driving?

A county officer I've spoke to down here gave me the impression it was at his discretion whether he rode or drove. He expressed that he wouldn't choose to ride some of the county hills and curves at night due to the risk of hitting deer.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Nice looking bikes, I wonder where they will go.

Back to the local dealer they were bought through typically. But, with being in the mother land Harley corp may blow them out somewhere. The local dealer would at least know.

Some city’s only lease bikes. Harley of Chicago deals in off lease police bikes. They are great deals. I’ve seen bikes there with under 5k miles 2 or 3 years old. Mostly used for parades and some traffic duties. Not sure about now but Indy used to keep their bikes for awhile and they were well used. The budget to care for bikes is not cheap either. Wonder if that was also part of it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is the same reason I stopped riding motorcycles. I wasn't concerned with my abilities as much as the distracted drivers. I say that technology killed riding for me. Technology as in people playing around with phones, texting, GPS units, XM radio, etc.

I have traveled a LOT in my lifetime of field sales and I have seen too many bike accidents. The one constant: the bikers never win.

Top Bottom