• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The ex got me a McDuory digital antenna for Christmas.
    Just now got it up and running.
    Back to three channels. Sigh.
    LOL, not really. I mean it really is 3 channels right now, but the antenna is lying on top of my lp's in front of the picture window, inside the house. And the picture is crystal clear. Thanks, dear!

Last edited:

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    So, I have been looking for a new antenna. I am about 40 miles from all the towers. Which one do I need? I can put it on a tower about 30 feet high.
    Most of the towers are west of my location. I would hate to buy the wrong one and waste my time.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    we have a 30 or more year old antenna on our house, we get the 5 from fort wayne and a few from south bend, which are the same as fort wayne. it works good

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    So, I have been looking for a new antenna. I am about 40 miles from all the towers. Which one do I need? I can put it on a tower about 30 feet high.
    Most of the towers are west of my location. I would hate to buy the wrong one and waste my time.

I have had good luck with the Model 4228 from Channel master.
    Their preamp has an LTE filter to get rid of neighboring Cell phone signals.

(My day job is babysitting TV transmitters)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have this one in my attic, so it’s about 20 feet off the ground.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/antenn...or-hdtv-antenna-black/5894080.p?skuId=5894080

We are about 45 miles from Chicago and 55 miles from South Bend. I have the antenna pointed between these cities, which is not optimal, but I get all the channels from both places. I also run an amplifier as the antenna is over 70 feet from the TVs.

About 70 channels in total, but there are Spanish channels and several repeats. I would guess that there are about 25-30 different channels that we would watch.

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    Type in your address at TV Fool to get an idea of what type of antenna you need. Antennaweb is another site but I have heard it's less reliable.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have this one in my attic, so it’s about 20 feet off the ground.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/antenn...or-hdtv-antenna-black/5894080.p?skuId=5894080

We are about 45 miles from Chicago and 55 miles from South Bend. I have the antenna pointed between these cities, which is not optimal, but I get all the channels from both places. I also run an amplifier as the antenna is over 70 feet from the TVs.

About 70 channels in total, but there are Spanish channels and several repeats. I would guess that there are about 25-30 different channels that we would watch.

That is an excellent antenna. I had the smaller version before moving to Indiana and it served me well; had it on my 2nd story balcony. Picture quality was much better than cable.

Since I moved I have one Channel Master Smartantenna+ on my balcony door and get about 40 or more channels, excellent quality. In my bedroom I have a cheap $17 flat antenna and picking up maybe 30 channels. I live in an apartment and these serve me very well.

FYI, I also have the Channel Master DVR+ that allows me to record, pause, rewind OTA television. I use Roku for internet streaming (Netflix and such).

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I'm using a Winegard 7694P which has very good gain on both VHF and UHF without being a monstrosity. I'm using it to pick up Indy stations from about 50 miles away. It's mounted outside about 12 ft above ground and I'm using an RCA preamp at the antenna.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    That is an excellent antenna. I had the smaller version before moving to Indiana and it served me well; had it on my 2nd story balcony. Picture quality was much better than cable.

Since I moved I have one Channel Master Smartantenna+ on my balcony door and get about 40 or more channels, excellent quality. In my bedroom I have a cheap $17 flat antenna and picking up maybe 30 channels. I live in an apartment and these serve me very well.

FYI, I also have the Channel Master DVR+ that allows me to record, pause, rewind OTA television. I use Roku for internet streaming (Netflix and such).

I had looked at Channel Master but wasn’t thrilled that it doesn’t support streaming for Netflix or Amazon Prime. So are you saying you just switch back and forth between the Roku and the Channel Master? Just grab the other remote, change the inout on your TV, etc?

I don’t like that Ux if that’s the case but not sure what other options there are. TiVo seems to do it all but is more expensive and requires a monthly fee for their service.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    TiVo is more money. The remote that comes with DVR+ also works the TV. The only switch is with the input, which is on the remote. Then yes, I need to use the Roku remote. It’s a simple set up. I have an external HD for the DVR+. All together for everything is still cheaper than TiVo. TiVo does have a couple advantages.... but negligent to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have had good luck with the Model 4228 from Channel master.
    Their preamp has an LTE filter to get rid of neighboring Cell phone signals.

(My day job is babysitting TV transmitters)

I also have the channel master just hanging on my garage wall. I had planned to install in the attic but it works just fine on the wall.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had looked at Channel Master but wasn’t thrilled that it doesn’t support streaming for Netflix or Amazon Prime. So are you saying you just switch back and forth between the Roku and the Channel Master? Just grab the other remote, change the inout on your TV, etc?

I don’t like that Ux if that’s the case but not sure what other options there are. TiVo seems to do it all but is more expensive and requires a monthly fee for their service.

Yep. Convenience has a cost.

These remotes help. You use your PC to program them. No more sitting there endlessly plugging in 25 different codes and testing each one. You tell the software exactly what model TV, DVR, DVD, etc you own (including things like Lutron wireless dimmers) and it sets it all perfectly.
    And you can even set activities like "watch a movie" and it will turn on your TV, switch to the correct input, turn on the DVD, etc. Back in the day I had my home theater setup so it would also dim the lights too.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-universal-remotes

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I bought this 30 mini “tower” antenna. Plugged it in, oohed and ahhed at the pretty blue lights, no I get 48 OTA channels, albeit a lot of repeats, (who knew WfYI had 4 different channels?)but it works decent, and is about 7’ AGL. Wonder what I’d get with one on a tower outside?

Top Bottom