Need/want new brake calipers on an old car (probably custom job), recommendation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys.

Sorry for the long title. I'm looking to get my old beater in tip top shape again and kind of wanted to future proof it. It needs new pads and rotors anyway, and the old calipers aren't in great shape. The problem is that it's a 1995 jeep Grand Cherokee and the options for aftermarket calipers are basically nil. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with modifying cars or good brake shops in the area that might be willing to fab and mount some different calipers and if I can call them to get an estimate of what it might cost (are my eyes bigger than my stomach). I'd prefer quality of work over price and don't mind driving anywhere in Indy or dropping the car off for work. I'm getting this one in good order for some off roading and daily driving so that I can sell my boring-er car. Any help is appreciated, and let me know if I'm looking in the wrong place or forum.
    Thank you for your time, Ben

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Howdy guys.

Sorry for the long title. I'm looking to get my old beater in tip top shape again and kind of wanted to future proof it. It needs new pads and rotors anyway, and the old calipers aren't in great shape. The problem is that it's a 1995 jeep Grand Cherokee and the options for aftermarket calipers are basically nil. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with modifying cars or good brake shops in the area that might be willing to fab and mount some different calipers and if I can call them to get an estimate of what it might cost (are my eyes bigger than my stomach). I'd prefer quality of work over price and don't mind driving anywhere in Indy or dropping the car off for work. I'm getting this one in good order for some off roading and daily driving so that I can sell my boring-er car. Any help is appreciated, and let me know if I'm looking in the wrong place or forum.
    Thank you for your time, Ben
    I love Baer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Without having specific knowledge of your Jeep, I'd say if you're considering going down that road it might be a good time to just upgrade the front axle entirely. If I'm not mistaken (and I very easily could be), you've got a Dana 30 up front, which isn't great. With the kind of money you're talking about for custom parts and fabrication you can probably stuff a 3/4 or 1 ton truck axle under it and get those giant truck brakes (with their factory replaceable parts) too.

Anyhow... The front of your ZJ shares a lot of blood with the TJs and I remember seeing various "big brake" upgrades for TJs around, so, stands to reason it would bolt on to yours to. You might want to check out the various Jeep forums and see what other guys have done.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Another question would be what do you do with your jeep, what do you have done to it, and what do you want out of the brakes?

OE-equivalent brakes are still plenty available for something like that and will be perfectly fine for a moderately modded street-vehicle and moderate off-roading.

Top Bottom