• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I just ran across a new movie that's supposed to debut on Netflix at the end of March: The Highwaymen

Kevin Costner as Frank Hamer, Woody Harrelson as Maney Gault.**

Kind of interesting to have Woody playing a Texas lawman, given the history.

[video=youtube;q8odfavYNzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8odfavYNzU[/video]
    More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highwaymen_(film)

*OK, I stole that from a YouTube comment. Might have been a .35 Remington Model 8, but hey, that don't swing.

** Texas Rangers. Sorry Kirk.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Colt Monitor in the trailer, if I remember correctly he actually finished off B&C with a Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem. fitted with a large capacity magazine

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A Hoosier connection:

Woody Harrelson was born in Midland Texas, but when he father disappeared in 1968, his mother, a Presbyterian, moved back to her native Ohio, which led to Woody attending Hanover College in Indiana, graduating in 1983. A couple of my childhood chums from Brown County also attended Hanover at the same time and knew Woody. Ergo, me and a couple other members of this board have Harrelson numbers of 2. :)

Mike Pence...yes, that Mike Pence...also attended Hanover about the same time and according to Wikipedia, he and Woody knew each other. Don't know of my pals knew Pence or not.

(edited to correct a goof).

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My shift Lieutenant is the nephew of Frank Hamer. He’s mentioned “uncle Frank” a few times and I was all wide-eyed every time.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Ok, the connections deepen: One of my friends who knows Woody and Mike has friends who worked on "The Highwaymen."

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Colt Monitor in the trailer, if I remember correctly he actually finished off B&C with a Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem. fitted with a large capacity magazine

Correct...I posted this in the what to watch on Netflix thread...I'm a huge Frank Hamer fan from way back....It looks good...
    SellingGuns-18.jpg
    fhgrips.jpg
    153841d1490231542-frank-hamer-texas-ranger-bar-posseg.jpg
    fhrem.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Woody Harrelson was born in Midland Texas, but when he father disappeared in 1968, his mother, a Presbyterian, moved back to her native Ohio, which led to Woody attending Hanover College in Indiana, graduating in 1983. A couple of my childhood chums from Brown County also attended Hanover at the same time and knew Woody. Ergo, me and a couple other members of this board have Harrelson numbers of 2. :)

Mike Pence...yes, that Mike Pence...also attended Hanover about the same time and according to Wikipedia, he and Woody knew each other. Don't know of my pals knew Pence or not.

(edited to correct a goof).

He talks about it....

[video=youtube;5LwdV3fOZSc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwdV3fOZSc[/video]

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Turns out they did, so my Pence number is 2. Hanover had only about 1100 students.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I just ran into Tickle from the tv show “ moonshiners” a few minutes ago, if I had seen this thread earlier, I could have asked him if he knew Woody or Mike.
    Is he a drunken idiot like he portrays on the show?

Sent from my ONEPLUS Bad Arse Phone using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Is this a Netflix movie or is it just making it to Netflix? I don't do well with Netflix produced stuff. Most of it bores me but this looks interesting.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Correct...I posted this in the what to watch on Netflix thread...I'm a huge Frank Hamer fan from way back....It looks good...
    SellingGuns-18.jpg
    fhgrips.jpg
    153841d1490231542-frank-hamer-texas-ranger-bar-posseg.jpg
    fhrem.jpg

Very few guys like him. In 1948 he broke up two groups of armed rowdy men in a Texas election dispute simply getting out of his car and saying "git". Takes quite a reputation to pull that off.:draw:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't know how, but I've never heard of or seen a Colt Monitor before I saw this post. That is one of the meanest looking guns I've ever seen. Google Images is making me drool.

aaaaaand now I'm watching the forgotten weapons video on it...

Basically a shortened and lightened BAR, Colt promoted it as a way to deal with bandits in the 30s. A rare NFA item. I seem to remember a SA version either planned or run in recent history. They remind me of the FN model D BAR.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom