• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son will graduate from college in May and has accepted a job doing web design and development in the Petersburg/Hebron area.

He worked in that general area for the last 2 summers and lived with some friends of family, but what does he really need to know? He'll be getting an apartment initially, but obviously will want to buy a house when he's ready. Where is a good area to be? I don't even know the right questions to ask because, while I have visited there a couple of times, I haven't lived there.

Is there any advantage to living in Indiana rather than Kentucky? He thinks he'd prefer to be closer to Florence, does that make sense? He's not interested in Ohio.

Coach us up.

Thanks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That whole area is dominated by Cincinnati so everything will revolve around the city. Going northwest back into Indiana you get into rural hilly woods pretty quick. excellent deer hunting country, with the bonus of the Whitewater river. Can't speak for the ground around the airport in Kentucky as I've only been in and out of there by air.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Eastern Kentucky is absolutely beautiful.. It's further from Chicago, yet still a under a days drive home to Valpo... and the state is going full Constitutional Carry. Win/Win/Win

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My only experience with Kentucky is as a visitor, or just passing through.
    That said, I do have a little insight, albeit 40+ years old...
    I had the opportunity to visit Corbin Kentucky back in the late 1970's. It is located in the southeast corner of the state.
    Much to my surprise, Corbin County Kentucky is (was) a dry county.

We wanted beer while we were there.
    You had two options.
    You could either drive 40 miles to the county line (next county over was wet) or, and this was the fun part, you waited until after dark and drove to "Kirby's Used car lot in Corbin.
    Pull around behind the building, shut off your headlights, and give two short toots on your horn.
    There was a travel trailer behind the main building. When your horn sounded, an old geezer would poke his head out of the travel trailer and ask what you wanted.
    In the late 1970's, we paid $12 for a case of Strohs, of all things. It was the cheapest brand, and everything was warm!

That area of Kentucky was, at that time, absolutely beautiful. Teaming with lush forests, and replete with redneck locals.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My only experience with Kentucky is as a visitor, or just passing through.
    That said, I do have a little insight, albeit 40+ years old...
    I had the opportunity to visit Corbin Kentucky back in the late 1970's. It is located in the southeast corner of the state.
    Much to my surprise, Corbin County Kentucky is (was) a dry county.

We wanted beer while we were there.
    You had two options.
    You could either drive 40 miles to the county line (next county over was wet) or, and this was the fun part, you waited until after dark and drove to "Kirby's Used car lot in Corbin.
    Pull around behind the building, shut off your headlights, and give two short toots on your horn.
    There was a travel trailer behind the main building. When your horn sounded, an old geezer would poke his head out of the travel trailer and ask what you wanted.
    In the late 1970's, we paid $12 for a case of Strohs, of all things. It was the cheapest brand, and everything was warm!

That area of Kentucky was, at that time, absolutely beautiful. Teaming with lush forests, and replete with redneck locals.

Ha!

Great story, but a particular dry county (or not) is unlikely to be an issue for my son.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ha!

Great story, but a particular dry county (or not) is unlikely to be an issue for my son.

Not an issue here either, but some folks LIVE for liquor.
    It very well may no longer be a dry county, but the story still brings back fond memories every time I recall it...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Northern Kentucky takes on a Cincinnati kind of feel the same way Southern Indiana takes on a Louisville feel......I remember camping at Butler State Park when I was a kid and the kids from Northern Kentucky kind of making fun of my "Kentucky" accent...The cost of living is good and the riverfront around Covington is really nice and when I was a kid it really wasn't.....What's neat about living there is he can be in the mountains in Kentucky, the bluegrass region, central Ohio, West Virginia, rural southeast Indiana etc...in no time at all...A very good base to be at for weekend getaways.....Rising Sun Indiana is right close...Rabbit Hash Kentucky is just downstream...Their Mayor is a dog....City living with rural life a short bit away....

rabbit-hash-today-500x332.jpg
    540x360.jpg

Maysville Kentucky is a neat, historical place as well...

Website-Banner-City-1.jpg
    Contemporary-riverfront-photo.jpg

My mom's ancestors came down the Ohio river on a flatboat before the War of 1812, stopped at the Falls and were one of the first families to settle Floyd County....I've lived on the river my whole life...There's something magical about a river town Hough....History everywhere and a certain cadence in language and life...

Last edited:

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Indiana = lifetime LTCH. :)

True, but Kentucky is on the verge of becoming a constitutional carry state: https://nationalgunrights.org/resou...ucky-legislature-passes-constitutional-carry/

Indiana's a good option depending on how far your son wants to commute to work. Living in IN and working in the Hebron area means he's going to have one bridge to traverse every day. Construction and accidents near the bridge can make that trip miserable.

Indiana's income tax is lower than Kentucky's, but Kentucky has a lower sales tax and lower property taxes in general.

To me (as a 40 year resident of the cincinnati area) the biggest drawback to living in northern Kentucky is the airport. Hebron and Florence are both fairly close to it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My mom's ancestors came down the Ohio river on a flatboat before the War of 1812, stopped at the Falls and were one of the first families to settle Floyd County....I've lived on the river my whole life...There's something magical about a river town Hough....History everywhere and a certain cadence in language and life...

He's a regular old Robert Frost some days, ain't he?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Which is great, but it's useless when traveling to other states. What's KY's plan for licensing for reciprocity purposes?

I assume living in that area he'll be in KY/OH/IN routinely.

No idea concerning what KY will do, but he could always get a Florida non-resident to cover him in IN and OH, and many others as well.

Top Bottom