• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Found a smokin deal on a 2014 Honda Accord with 11,600 original miles on it. Have been going back and forth with the current owner with questions, etc.

today i I asked for the VIN to get a Carfax and he disclosed that it had previously been stolen but still carries a clean title.

He sent pictures if the title which shows the mileage is actual and that it was issued AFTER the theft. He also sent a picture of an affidavit letter from Geico insurance stating that they were requesting a clean title from the BMV due to the car being recovered and in-tact.

Mileage in the affidavit is it is lower than mileage on the title so I’m assuming the title was issued after the affidavit was sent to BMV so I’m assuming there are no issues with that.

FWIW the car is in Illinois. I’m just looking to pick the collective minds of my INGO brethren.

Is this car something you would still pursue if you cane across something like this and it was a great deal? (Great deal but not TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE).

Would i I be able to finance, plate, and insure this vehicle as normal?

Thanks in advance.

juyd0l.jpg

ip9vgw.jpg

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If it is a good price, I wouldn't think twice about it. Without a salvage title, there should be no insurance or financing issues.

On the Carfax, do all of the mileages line up? No inconsistencies? If it's fine, no problem.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Did you get the Carfax? Does it show theft recovery? Only reason I ask is for consideration of resalabilty (if that's a word). Potential buyers might see it as an albatross but other than that it sounds like you found a pretty good deal. Basing it on our own Honda experience you should see many happy motoring miles with it. Our Civic was purchased new in '06 and has ~160k miles on it and the only unexpected problem we had with it was self inflicted when the wipers froze to the windshield in a vertical position over night and she turned the key in the morning causing the motor shaft to strip out.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Did you get the Carfax? Does it show theft recovery? Only reason I ask is for consideration of resalabilty (if that's a word). Potential buyers might see it as an albatross but other than that it sounds like you found a pretty good deal. Basing it on our own Honda experience you should see many happy motoring miles with it. Our Civic was purchased new in '06 and has ~160k miles on it and the only unexpected problem we had with it was self inflicted when the wipers froze to the windshield in a vertical position over night and she turned the key in the morning causing the motor shaft to strip out.

Yes, it shows theft recovery but to be honest I’m not too worried about it. I tend to keep cars for a long time. My current jeep is at 184,000 and just getting to the point it isn’t reliable enough transportation with 3 kids. So I plan to drive it into the ground basically. Which from what I’m reading will take a while with the 4 cylinder and 6 speed manual.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    It’s a 2014 Accord sport with 11,600 miles and he was asking $14,500. I’ve got him to $13,500 just through email. Seems like a deal too good to pass up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a 1990 GMC S-15 Jimmy that was stolen-recovered with low miles and a clean title. I bought it from the dealership where I worked. We replaced the back glass and the broken out column (ah, the ease of stealing that era GM cars) and all was good. I had it until 2003 and sold it with 188,000 miles on it. I saw it around Portage for the next few years. I've also owned cars with salvage titles. I never had any insurance issues, and I drove them until they had little value, so all I ever did was save money.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Latest info from the current owner. Car was stolen in 2015 from previous owner and “hidden”. Recovered in 2018. And bought back from insurance company by the original owner. New owner bought it with insurance affidavit from original owner. It sounds like a heck of a deal on a good car but I’m just apprehensive due to the amount of time it sat.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Have you actually saw the car in person? Dont get to excited about it until you see it........

ive not seen it in person because it’s 3.5 hours away and I was trying to decide if it was worth it before making the drive. But I’ve seen numerous date stamped pics and a couple videos. Car looks brand new.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Jfed85, I really want to spare you from making a bad decision. Let me buy the car so I can probably dispose of it in my driveway.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    2014, stolen in 2015, hidden until recovered in 2018, apparently sold 1/23/19 to current owner (by the title) and cleaner than a pair of new shoes. I would have to ask why is the current owner unloading it?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I’m gonna pass on it cause my credit union is giving me a hard time about giving a loan on it. If anyone is interested it seems like a legit deal. Here’s the link.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...ew/?aff=tyeminvu&cmp=usedinv&smtrctid=4227367

they want me to drive there inspect the car. Get him to sign a sale agreement. Drive back and give that to them before they’ll even loan on it. It’s 3.5 hours from me and I have 3 kids and a wife that works opposite schedule of me. Just too much BS to make it work.

Top Bottom