Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 336 of 392 FirstFirst ... 236 286 326 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 346 386 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 3912

User Info Menu

I once wrote a long memo about how to install toilet paper. It unroll over the front like a cleansing waterfall, never under the back because that would cause people to wipe back to front creating a chance of infection, bla, bla, bla. Nearly a full page, on my supervisors computer. CC'd it to all of his bosses and posted it in our restroom. I would install the TP over the back

He would tear it down every day and reverse the TP.

I would go in and post another and reverse the TP.

I like a boss that is easy.

User Info Menu

Make you password as long as you want, but if they know your first pet's name...

So I was listening to podcast with an interview of a Marine hacker (yeah, they exist) who was infiltrating ISIS - they hit this road block.
    "What?! How the f*** do I know what Mustafa's pet's name is?!"
    The target analyst leans in and says, "It's fifteen fifteen."
    "No, it's asking for a pet name!"
    "The target always uses 'fifteen fifteen' for the answers to those questions."
    "Ok.... We're in!"

I guess I should stop using the same (predictable) obscure keywords for those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post

Often the weakest point in information security lies between the seat and the keyboard.
    Eh...true, but not the problem.

Bruce Schneier, who I'm sure you son is familiar with as an info security guru has long recommended writing down long, complex passwords. You might want to consider a more secure location for the paper like your wallet, though. A newer, highly secure system is password manager software. There are several good ones out there that can help you maintain many complex passwords across multiple accounts and devices.

He (and the NIST organization) also advocate against the password rotation system which leads to lower quality passwords so that they can be remembered.
    About fixing users, Bruce Schneier also says this:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7676198
    I have spoken.
    If you’re woke you dig it.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    Sorry, but the user was absolutely the problem in the picture. No security practice can stop that kinda stupid (publicly posting your SSN).
    Which office does Carter Page go to to get his reputation back?

Cogito, ergo porto.

User Info Menu

Sorry, but the user was absolutely the problem in the picture. No security practice can stop that kinda stupid (publicly posting your SSN).
    I think if I answered, it would either be with the published SSN of that dude from LifeLock, a few years ago, or I’d say, “How wealthy would I be? Several hundred million and change. (Which the OP will be also, until he gets caught for identity theft from everyone giving him their SSN.....That’s a hint and a half, folks....)”

Thanks for your help in keeping this a great forum!
    Forum Rules#######Classifieds Rules##############?!?! wait...what?

Master

User Info Menu

I'd simply brag and list my SSN as $999,999,997.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post

About fixing users, Bruce Schneier also says this:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7676198
    Having trouble reconciling:

1) Create passwords you can't remember, and store them all in one electronic cache (because you can't remember them)

2) Anything connected to the internet can be hacked, eventually
    Who knew liberty would contain so many stems and seeds

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    Having trouble reconciling:

1) Create passwords you can't remember, and store them all in one electronic cache (because you can't remember them)

2) Anything connected to the internet can be hacked, eventually
    Congrats. You are paying attention and thinking.

In answer, there is no such thing as 100% security. You can only use "best practices" and setup security in layers. While post-its on your monitor stops hacking over the web, it does nothing top stop your secretary/co-workers/janitors/etc from hacking your account. Moving that same post-it to your wallet adds a second layer of difficulty in getting your info. This same concept applies with physical security- there is no one perfect solution.

Having 100s of thousands or millions of accounts for any web site means that people can do bulk hacks rather than hacking individuals- much more attractive targets. Any good password manager uses both high-end encryption and takes extreme measures to avoid having your login watched and compromised. I use two-factor authentication with mine which greatly increases hacking difficulty. Even this won't protect my info in 20 years, but I expect to have moved on to some new generation solution by then.

User Info Menu

wait a sec.... so art has been tax evasion this whole time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    wait a sec.... so art has been tax evasion this whole time

That's a neat scenario and all, and I'm sure it worked. Once. Maybe.

​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.