Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

We all know that motorcycle sales are in a worldwide slump, sales in the US are worse than in most other area. Very few nations are showing growth.

New riders are simply not making the effort to learn to ride. I have to wonder if some of that is due to the manual transmissions on bikes? Kids haven't learned how to drive stick shift cars in "drivers ed" classes for at least the past 35 years. So now there are parents, possibly even grandparents, of driving age 'kids' who have never driven a stick shift car.

BMW is now offering its clutches EZ shift option on some models, which requires a clutch only in 1st or 1st/2nd gear. Honda offers its DCT (dual clutch) transmission which works as fully automatic, fully manual or a hybrid as the rider sees fit. Harley Davidson's electric LIVEWIRE is clutchless & gearless, as is the entire line of ZERO motorcycles.

Will gearless electric motorcycles, or EZ shift or DCT type transmissions be enough to bring in new riders or are those offerings, which are currently limited to mid-size and larger bikes too expensive for most newbies? I personally think they are all great ideas but I am not sure any are offered on a motorcycle smaller than a 700cc engine size weighing nearly 500 pounds so I'm not sure they are newbie friendly options (yet).

DCT transmissions are getting rave reviews from offroad enthusiasts on Honda's Africa Twin and from the more placid road cruising Goldwing owners. EZ shift from BMW is gaining a lot of traction, but nothing about a BMW is cheap and the bikes just are not parked in front of every Starbucks. Nobody questions the lack of gears/clutches on any brand of electric.

KTM is now offering a clutchless/gearless electric offroad motorcycle aimed at kids. Is that the ticket?

Thoughts?

Master

User Info Menu

My last motorcycle could shift into higher gears without clutching in 3rd-5th gear.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I personally think that the reason there is a slump in riding is distracted drivers. I don't try to sell potential riders and haven't for years for that reason. It's a rare ride that I don't have at least a slight reminder that you really really need to be on your game to ride on today's roadways.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

People need to get off their damn cell phones. It's dangerous enough car on car. Even before I started riding, I kept my distance from bikes but I've noticed people get uncomfortably close. Maybe a spark plug to the windshield will change their ways. 🤔

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tv1217 View Post
    People need to get off their damn cell phones. It's dangerous enough car on car. Even before I started riding, I kept my distance from bikes but I've noticed people get uncomfortably close. Maybe a spark plug to the windshield will change their ways. 樂
    I had a guy close enough I could have slapped his hood. Sadly enough when I turned around and motioned for a little space he flipped me off and stayed the same distance. If you ever thought people werenít self centered a holes, jump on a motorcycle and go for a cruise down the highway.
    I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

User Info Menu

Yeah see, he clearly needs a spark plug installed in the windshield.

User Info Menu

I was thinking a boot installed in a particular crevice of his body, but I just get as far from those clowns as possible.
    I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

User Info Menu

Earlier this week had some asshat tailgating me while on his phone. He was driving a 3/4 ton pickup that could have flattened me. I pulled over to let him by and he fingered me, WTF???

Don

User Info Menu

Oh the choice of words. But I'll leave it alone

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

OK, I'll play devil's advocate...

...There is nothing wrong with pulling over and letting a tailgater by.

I know I really appreciate it when slower drivers/riders of all sort recognize that they are holding people up and get out of the way.

Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast