Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post
    “Laid it down”... never the answer.
    Yup.

Metal and plastic on asphalt has a poor friction coefficient compared to rubber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

I had previously cut and welded my wife's kickstand to shorten it.

The weld on one side cracked when the bike got dropped ON THE GRASS while I was teaching our foreign exchange student to ride. It looks like I can fix the crack while the kickstand is still attached to the bike. Obviously I didn't do a great job of welding the first time.

I know there is an electrical safety switch on the kickstand to prevent the bike from shifting in to gear while the kickstand is down and am wondering if the welding can screw up the electrical system if I leave the kickstand on the bike while doing the repair? Mig welding runs electricity through the metal. Would disconnecting the bike's battery be enough? Or do I even need to do that? Or do I need to remove the kickstand from the bike?

Master

User Info Menu

Finally great weather temperature wise to ride and all it does is rain. At least the grass is going good again.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrehautian View Post
    Finally great weather temperature wise to ride and all it does is rain. At least the grass is going good again.
    Mine has been stuck at the shop for the past week. Plus I have to work all weekend. No riding anytime soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    I had previously cut and welded my wife's kickstand to shorten it.

The weld on one side cracked when the bike got dropped ON THE GRASS while I was teaching our foreign exchange student to ride. It looks like I can fix the crack while the kickstand is still attached to the bike. Obviously I didn't do a great job of welding the first time.

I know there is an electrical safety switch on the kickstand to prevent the bike from shifting in to gear while the kickstand is down and am wondering if the welding can screw up the electrical system if I leave the kickstand on the bike while doing the repair? Mig welding runs electricity through the metal. Would disconnecting the bike's battery be enough? Or do I even need to do that? Or do I need to remove the kickstand from the bike?
    I would disconnect the battery to isolate any electronics. Current through the frame won't hurt a mechanical switch but it may generate damaging heat. So the best and probably simplest solution is to remove the kickstand from the bike. That's what I would do. Good luck and lets us know how it goes.
    I can make a bomb with toilet paper and a stick of dynamite.........

Master

User Info Menu

Is the kickstand real metal or cast crap? Cast doesn't hold a weld very well unless done with a metal warm up and very slow cool down.
    Local tribal warlord

I am Asher's son.

User Info Menu

I'm going stir crazy in my apartment lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    The article says there was damage to the RIGHT SIDE of the truck. Wouldn't it be on the left if he was turning left??

Don
    At least I'm not the only one who noticed that.
    The "if I pull my gun I am shooting" mindset can be dangerous.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I got work caught up, so time to ride came just this week.

Going through the prelims, I rolled the bike forward to move the valve stems appropriately.

Of course, I dropped the bike in the garage. Hopefully that gets the bike dropping out of the way for this year anyway. Top heavy bike gets dropped +/- once a year. More often in the gravel driveway.

Couple hundred miles in a couple days. Once I get on the bike, it's hard to get off...
    Last edited by bwframe; 1 Week Ago at 14:44.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    I got work caught up, so time to ride came just this week.

Going through the prelims, I rolled the bike forward to move the valve stems appropriately.

Of course, I dropped the bike in the garage. Hopefully that gets the bike dropping out of the way for this year anyway. Top heavy bike gets dropped +/- once a year. More often in the gravel driveway.

Couple hundred miles in a couple days. Once I get on the bike, it's hard to get off...
    That sucks! Any damage? I dropped my RC51 once because I didn't get the kickstand locked down. It pinned me against the garage wall and I almost had to call 911 to get out!

I can make a bomb with toilet paper and a stick of dynamite.........

Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 LastLast