• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    any of you that know me know that i have a passion for firearms, that go's all the way back about 40 years, i remember the marlin model 60, i remember the smell of hoppes #9 as we cleaned it after, i remember the yellow plastic box of 100 remington bullets, but most of all i remember the man who took me. i remember buying my first gun, a ruger p85 that i still have, i remember letting him shoot it, and a few days later him showing me the p85 that he bought, i remember him selling me a star arms firestar in starvel finish, and i remember selling it back to him, and then saying if you sell it again call me first (he did and i didnt have the money to buy it), i remember shooting trap with him, i enjoyed it so much he bought me a reminghton 870 so we could shoot together,i remember him saying we should take a break from trap shooting when i got so mad at missing the last bird, i remember telling him call me before you sell any guns, all because he sold a smith and wesson 686 midnight black edition that i wanted (black satinless steel revolver), i remember calling him (and him calling me too) and saying talk me out of buying this gun, and he did, and he didnt, i remember taliking about ar 15's and him saying i think the mini 14 is a better gun, and then him saying (after i shot it (the mini14) better than he did) him saying i think i want an ar15 (he owned 4!lol). i remember wanting a 2.5 in 686 and picking up what i thought was one at a gun show, he said you know thats a 629 right, i put it down, took 2 steps and thought holy s**t that awesome, and turning around and seeing someone else pick it up and say "ill take it". i have so many more memories i could type for days.

the last time we went out i drove us to the range, we were only there for about a 1/2 hour, he said he was tired so we left, on the way home he said "you know its my birthday" i said yes i know (of course i'd forgot) so i said where you want to eat, we (he) ate all you can eat fiddlers and i had a bacon cheesburger (im not a big fish eater), i tried to get him to go shooting after that (many times), but he was always to tired.

on sunday he went to the hospital, he' was week and had fallen, i went to see him, and he couldnt stay awake, so left to let him rest, i went back on monday, and he slept most of the time, i went today, and stayed for awhile, and the neurologist came in and said it was thyroid related and he should pull out of it, and be ok, i came home in a good mood.

about 12.30 i got the call, his heart gave out, and he had passed, i drove to the hospital, met my sister and said goodbye to my dad, my shooting buddy, my best friend, the man who gave me a passion for the shooting sports.

i'll never pick up a gun again without thinking of my dad, im sitting here typing this, i cant sleep, and i cant stop crying, thanks for reading this ingo and hug a loved one cause you dont know what tomorrow brings!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sounds like you had the relationship that many only dream of. Sorry to hear it has changed, not ended because as you said he will always be in your heart whenever you take part in the hobby you both loved.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Sorry for your loss. My dad also introduced me to what I believe is one of the greatest hobbies. I can relate to the fond memories at the range. He is gone but also never forgotten.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I will keep you in my prayers. Thanks for sharing, it made me feel like I knew him a little too.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Condolences and prayers from me as well. Treasure your memories...it is good that you had such a great relationship.

Top Bottom