• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Anyone else using this app for audio books? When I started my new job which involves an 80-100 minute commute each way one of my friends suggested I download it since I would hate the radio very quickly. He was wrong for about 2 weeks and then I had listened to every song currently played at least 100 times.

I have consumed more books in a few months than I have in the last 15 years. The book I am currently working on now is 'Can't Hurt Me' by David Goggins. What this guy has dealt with in his life and has still made the decision to not be a victim is truly mind boggling. Just the first 8 years of his life would have broken most people for good.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Goggins has an amazing story.

I don’t use audible, I usually buy audiobooks from iTunes, but my wife tells me that the public library has an app that let’s you listen to any of their audiobooks for free thru the app. I’m going to look into that for my next one.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    How much do you find yourself paying a month? We will close on a house next month and will have a similar commute some days.

I've never tried listening to a book. Is it easy to pay attention to what you're hearing or is it just background noise sometimes?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I like downloaded interviews with interesting people and also news programs.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I recently figured out podcasts through my Jeep BT, I’m sick of radio, sick of Sirius, I think audible would put me to sleep, but podcasts are so far keeping the drive bearable between Indy and SB.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    Goggins has an amazing story.

I don’t use audible, I usually buy audiobooks from iTunes, but my wife tells me that the public library has an app that let’s you listen to any of their audiobooks for free thru the app. I’m going to look into that for my next one.

How much do you find yourself paying a month? We will close on a house next month and will have a similar commute some days.

I've never tried listening to a book. Is it easy to pay attention to what you're hearing or is it just background noise sometimes?

Hoopla and Libby are the two apps I have through the library. Does not cost anything and selection is decent.

Worth looking into.

I am soooo glad I don't have that commute.

Everyone I talked to tried to talk me out of taking the job but once I met the owner and the Senior Managers I didn't have a choice. Plus the compensation package they presented made it a no brainer.

Yes the commute sucks but actually respecting your bosses and knowing that they respect and value you makes life so much more tolerable.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Library uses an app called Overdrive. Books are free and checked out to you for 21 days. Also use an app called Castbox for podcasts. Both of these make the 45 minute commute bearable.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I use overdrive thru the Kokomo library. Selection is not that great, but good enough. Problem they have is they may only have parts two and three of a trilogy. Ran into that a lot.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I've been using Audible since 2006. I joined when I moved and my drive to work went from 15 minutes to 40 minutes. Audio books have been a life-saver to me and my wife.

I tend to listen to action, spy, mystery, and suspense/horror. Nothing that I need to listen too hard to. I tried Mere Christianity by CS Lewis once, but had to give it up. It was something I couldn't give half my mind to. It needed the whole thing.

Needless to say, I'm quite invested in it. I don't think there is anything better out there, but I haven't looked much either.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't do fiction,
    But I use audio books & TED talks to keep up on things I simply don't have time to read.
    Long drives, waits for self important people that aren't on time,
    It lets me catch up on the stuff I'm interested in, which is about everything.

Don't dismiss TED talks if you like non-fiction audio books, some serious ideas and information in TED talks.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I've been a Audible customer for years as well. My wife and I commute together now, and she is getting to hear the "Wheel of Time" series for the first time. This is my second listen through. She also uses my Audible account to listen to things at work. Though she misses a lot of details when listening at work. We tend to listen to Science Fiction, and Fantasy. I occasionally listen to Business books.

I have found I can't listen to a fantasy series, and read a fantasy book at the same time. I start to get the stories confused. So I read Business or Science Fiction books while listening to Fantasy, and then when listening to Science Fiction I listen to Fantasy.

I also use Overcast for Podcasts. Though that is mainly for Bob & Tom, and The Gun Guy.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I actually prefer complete silence driving.... I commute to ch***go daily and my commute varies depending on the job. This might be a little weird, but I use the silence to reflect and center myself. Then when i get home, the only thing on my mind is home (and ingo). At work I use audible extensively. Depending on the job, I usually get to wear headphones (one ear bud only) I go through books like crazy usually 2 or 3 a week if I find one worth listening to. I use the daily deal a LOT. I check every day, and purchase any that sound up my alley.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I use the overdrive app with a couple library memberships that come with both audiobooks and ebooks (free). I can usually find something to listen to or to read.

I don't think I'll ever exhaust those libraries, but if I do, I guess then I'll start paying for audible or something like that.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I use libby app at the marion co library. Free books for 21 days and order online. No need to go to the library. Its awesome at the right price

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Coincidentally, I downloaded an audiobook today - my first. (last time I listened to a book it was a stack of CD's)

Got it from LibriVox, as all the good books are in the public domain. :fogey:

Free downloads, DRM free mp3's - what's not to love?

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I listen to a lot of free audiobooks from Arichive.org. They have a lot of out of copyright books presented by volunteer readers. If you like older books this is a great free service. The LibriVox collection has a good selection. The audio is downloadable in several different options. I use the MP3 option.

https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio

Top Bottom