• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    We have a 2 year old natural gas furnace that is making a noise during operation that sounds like a muffled cabinet door being shut from halfway open. It makes this noise every 30 to 45 seconds while it is firing. Once the blower shuts off the noise goes away.

Is this normal or does it need to be checked out? Outside of this noise it is extremely quiet.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    If the noise has been there the past 2 years, it might very well be 'Normal', but it doesn't sound like it to me.

If it just started making the noise, it's not 'Normal'.

Is it a system that has 'Zones', more than one thermostat in the house?

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    If the noise has been there the past 2 years, it might very well be 'Normal', but it doesn't sound like it to me.

If it just started making the noise, it's not 'Normal'.

Is it a system that has 'Zones', more than one thermostat in the house?

Now that I am awake a little bit I may be able to form a more coherent statement. We bought the house last summer so I cannot speak for the past performance of it during the winters of 16/17 and 17/18.

I got into the utility closet a few minutes ago while it was burning and it seems to me it is the burners cycling on and off.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Gas furnaces make a pretty good 'Thump' or 'Whomp' when they light, but they usually don't cycle every 30 to 45 seconds.
    Normally it's one 'Whomp' when they light, and they stay burning until the thermostat shuts them down.
    The air handler will run past shutdown to cool the heat exchanger, that part is normal, but it's not what you were talking about.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    I'm very disappointed in all of you as well as myself. When the furnace failed to fire this morning I looked at the LED diagnostic light. The code led me to the flame sensor being dirty. Since this is my first gas furnace I didn't know that the sensor needs to be pulled out and cleaned every season. I got it pulled out, scrubbed down and now it is a very cozy 72 in here.

The noise was the furnace igniting over and over because the sensor kept causing flame outs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm very disappointed in all of you as well as myself. When the furnace failed to fire this morning I looked at the LED diagnostic light. The code led me to the flame sensor being dirty. Since this is my first gas furnace I didn't know that the sensor needs to be pulled out and cleaned every season. I got it pulled out, scrubbed down and now it is a very cozy 72 in here.

The noise was the furnace igniting over and over because the sensor kept causing flame outs.

OK lets do this. Read post #5 where I asked you if it was indeed short cycling.....All the info. Impossible to diagnose on the interwebs with out all the info.......:nono:
    You should be ashamed of yourself. :cool:

Yes they flash codes.

"BUT".........It should only do this 3 times and then lock out the gas train.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame

Just a bit of advice. When cleaning a flame sensor dont use sandpaper. Use steel wool because sandpaper can leave imbeded residue.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    OK lets do this. Read post #5 where I asked you if it was indeed short cycling.....All the info. Impossible to diagnose on the interwebs with out all the info.......:nono:
    You should be ashamed of yourself. :cool:

Yes they flash codes.

"BUT".........It should only do this 3 times and then lock out the gas train.

You made the fatal mistake of assuming I knew what short cycles are ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't have any steel wool so I used non scratch scotch brite pads. Hopefully I didn't scratch it too badly.

That is OK.

The rad is basically where the board in the furnace (with the blinky light) actually sends a micro-current through the flame. Like water a gas flame will conduct a very low micro current and the board see's it. It will run the gas valve for approx. 3 seconds and if it sees the flame it will stay on. If it does not "See" the flame in that short time it will shut down. Wait for a given time and try again. 3 times is the limit and it should lock out any heat function after that. A hard reset is required to start the cycle again. If the rod gets coated the boards electronics will not "See" the flame.

The coating is anything airborn. If the furnace is in the laundry room the dryer pads and aromatics in the products will actually cause a coating to form after a period of exposier. Hair care products as in sprays etc as well. They are drawn into the burner and into the flame. The rod is glowing red hot. The chemicals tend to stick.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    That is OK.

The rad is basically where the board in the furnace (with the blinky light) actually sends a micro-current through the flame. Like water a gas flame will conduct a very low micro current and the board see's it. It will run the gas valve for approx. 3 seconds and if it sees the flame it will stay on. If it does not "See" the flame in that short time it will shut down. Wait for a given time and try again. 3 times is the limit and it should lock out any heat function after that. A hard reset is required to start the cycle again. If the rod gets coated the boards electronics will not "See" the flame.

The coating is anything airborn. If the furnace is in the laundry room the dryer pads and aromatics in the products will actually cause a coating to form after a period of exposier. Hair care products as in sprays etc as well. They are drawn into the burner and into the flame. The rod is glowing red hot. The chemicals tend to stick.

And if the furnace is in a closed utility closet and that is the only thing in there?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And if the furnace is in a closed utility closet and that is the only thing in there?

Just the air born particles. Ours is in a closet with the water heater. 2 year cycle on the old furnace. The new one hardly ever runs as we heat mainly with wood anymore so I am not sure. Some people never have this issue.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Just the air born particles. Ours is in a closet with the water heater. 2 year cycle on the old furnace. The new one hardly ever runs as we heat mainly with wood anymore so I am not sure. Some people never have this issue.

My furnace is about 12 years old, never been cleaned. In a basement with water heater, washer, and dryer. Probably a good idea to pull it out and clean it before next winter?

Top Bottom