• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Our daughter is married to a Marine, stationed at Twentynine Palms, California. When he deployed to Syria last fall, she didn't want to live there alone, so I flew to Vegas, where she picked me up, and we drove the 30 hours home. Her husband should be returning in the next 4-6 weeks, so it was time for her to go back and move into their new house. The wife and me took off last week to move her and her little mutt back to scenic 29 Palms.

We left Friday afternoon and drove the 6 hours to St Louis to see our son. Had dinner, some beers, and spent the night. Got up at 4AM to beat the forecasted chitty weather. Drove 18 hours across Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico before stopping for the night near the Petrified Forest in Arizona. If you ever make that drive, do it in the dark as much as possible, you won't miss a thing.;)

Sunday we took a slight detour to go up to the Grand Canyon. No way I was driving within 45 minutes of it and not stopping. We drove in the east entrance, which is much less touristy, and has about ZERO guardrails. My daughter's military spouse ID got us in for free, so I don't know what they charge, but I'm sure it's a pittance compared to what you get to see. No words can describe it and they haven't made a camera yet that does it any justice. Made me a little sad that my fellow American tourists were vastly outnumbered by the foreign ones. Not that the foreigners were bad, well, some were. I mean, damn, are all the Asian driver stereotypes true?:rolleyes: It's just a place I wish more Americans had the chance to see, or would just choose to see. It left me kicking myself for all the family vacations we took to Florida sitting on a crowded beach or forking over untold $$$ to that damn mouse.

We left there late in the afternoon and drove the rest of the way to the lovely Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms.

Spent Monday moving her junk from storage to the new house. Tuesday hanging stuff on the walls, moving furniture 37 times until the feng-shui was perfect. Wednesday-Friday, I did NOTHING, and it was all I hoped it'd be. Sat on the patio in the sun, drinkin beers, smoking cigars, and grillin on the son-in-laws Weber.

We did decide to head up to Key's View in Joshua Tree on Wednesday. It's an amazing view looking west and I thought it'd be a good spot to see the sunset. It was 67 and beautiful in 29, but I ditched my shorts and flip flops for long pants and a sweatshirt, knowing the 5000ft elevation at Key's View could be chilly. We made the drive, getting there about 5 minutes before sunset. I went to jump out and the wind almost blew the door shut on me. It was 40 degrees with a howling west wind. If it weren't for the railing on the path to the summit, the wind would have knocked us down. It was a beautiful sunset, but we only managed to stay a miserable 15 minutes.

Saturday my daughter drove us the 3 hours to Vegas to catch a flight back to boring, cold, flat Indiana.:rolleyes:

It was a good trip. Got super lucky on missing some bad weather. And any week away from work is a good week.:yesway:

Some pics...

Key's View Sunset...

XD0D7Ww.jpg

Grand Canyon...

QZtu3g5.jpg

nFX03tZ.jpg

Ah4eEup.jpg

KhfI7zP.jpg

And for as much grief as I give my daughter about her worthless, yapping, 8 pound, $1000, mini golden-labra-irish-cocker-doodle mutt, I have now spent almost 60 hours in a car with that dog and can say without doubt, she's the best passenger I have EVER traveled with. Never whines, never asks, are we there yet? Doesn't need a bathroom break every 2 hours. Just sits in her dog bed on the center console and chills out.

CZZiGlN.jpg

OKsG9at.jpg

And though I am TOTALLY, 100% ready to be empty nesters again, I'm gonna miss that damn dog.:rolleyes:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My favorite Led Zep song.

[video=youtube;PDIz4talyQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDIz4talyQk[/video]

Looks like a fun trip! Beautiful pictures.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Congrats on making the best of a trip to LaLa land! We prefer the Ozarks during the day as there is some beautiful scenery thru there. We went the southern route one trip to OK taking I40 instead of I44 during the fall and the panoramic views as the leaves were changing colors was fantastic!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’ve seen the Grand Canyon and monument valley from the air, but haven’t actually been there, really wanna get to both places someday. We did get to go to Hoover dam while out west, THAT was amazing! Glad you had a good time and made it home safely!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Great trip!

I like you wish more Americans would travel and explore our country! I just cannot believe people do not want to experience the awesome things You can drive and see.
    You also get to experience people from different parts of the country like the “mad max” desert people or the strange hippies of the northwest.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...You also get to experience people from different parts of the country like the “mad max” desert people.

I used to think they were a kinda unique bunch. Then I realized they are really the same as my wife's backwoods, dirt floor, Kentucky, hillbilly family, just in a drier climate.:laugh:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Well... It has beautiful places.

I wouldn't count the 29 Palms metro area among them. But at least you don't have to go far to find them.;)

Back in my motorcycle days, I would say California was about #1 in the lower 48 for incredible roads and scenery. And yes, 29 Palms not included! :laugh:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Back in my motorcycle days, I would say California was about #1 in the lower 48 for incredible roads and scenery. And yes, 29 Palms not included! :laugh:

I'm no biker, but I imagine a ride from 29 to Vegas, through the Mojave National Preserve, would be pretty sweet.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm no biker, but I imagine a ride from 29 to Vegas, through the Mojave National Preserve, would be pretty sweet.

I did Death Valley once, that was very hot, but I did it late in the day and the heat isn't as bad when the sun is low in the sky, and it was a lot of fun. My favorites were the Sierra Passes, Sonora, Tioga, Monitor, Ebbets. Pacific Coast Highway. Many in NorCal as well. The Little Dragon (I forget the highway numbers), not far from Yosemite.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Last summer we went to LA to visit friends of ours. Spent a couple of days in the city, then drove to Kings Canyon NP. We took the scenic route up the PCH before heading up the mountains. If it wasn't California, I think I could live somewhere near the Sequoia NF. It was so peaceful and beautiful.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cleaning out and dumping cell phone pics...

Random 85MPH shot somewhere in AZ

7GKk3PO.jpg

Sunsetting at 85MPH somewhere in New Mexico...

OPXKldH.jpg

Heading down the hill towards base in 29...

uwvhajr.jpg

Top Bottom