Operation 'Varsity Blues' - FBI uncover massive fraud in college entry exam scam

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Huffman's daughter is said to have taken the test in December 2017 and received a 1420 on the test, a 400 point improvement from a previous test."

Flj6.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm kinda shocked that straight up $500k can't buy your way into those colleges anyway. How bad were the students that they couldn't get in with that kind of advantage WITHOUT actually cheating!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Actresses Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman among 40 charged in college exam cheating plot

The alleged scheme focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the indictment unsealed in Boston.

The plot involved students who attended or were seeking to attend Georgetown University, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale, according to federal prosecutors.

In all, 44 people, some of them college coaches, have been charged thus far.

Prosecutors said the scheme was masterminded by William Rick Singer, the founder of a for-profit college preparation business based in Newport Beach, California.

I'd probably put the kids of the people involved on suicide watch. To find out (if you didn't know already) that your parents bought your way into your school would be a major shame

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There's no indication that the schools were involved in any of the wrong-doing.

From 2011 to last month, parents paid Singer roughly $25 million to bribe coaches and university administrators to "designate their children as recruited athletes, or other favored admissions categories," according to the court papers.

Um...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm kinda shocked that straight up $500k can't buy your way into those colleges anyway. How bad were the students that they couldn't get in with that kind of advantage WITHOUT actually cheating!

That surprises me as well, I guess the costs of everything at colleges is going up, including payoffs and bribes.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wish they'd hurry up and release the names of the other people.

Probably giving the really big ones a chance to buy their way out of it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I'd probably put the kids of the people involved on suicide watch. To find out (if you didn't know already) that your parents bought your way into your school would be a major shame

That's a good one...:):

Wait...you're not serious, are you?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wait maybe this is it

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme

What's Jimmy Kimmel's wife's name...

Charged by Complaint
    Defendant Charges
    Gregory ABBOTT
    Marcia ABBOTT
    Gamal ABDELAZIZ
    Diane BLAKE
    Todd BLAKE
    Jane BUCKINGHAM
    Gordon CAPLAN
    Michael CENTER
    I-Hsin “Joey” CHEN
    Amy COLBURN
    Gregory COLBURN
    Robert FLAXMAN
    Mossimo GIANNULLI
    Elizabeth HENRIQUEZ
    Manuel HENRIQUEZ
    Douglas HODGE
    Felicity HUFFMAN
    Agustin HUNEEUS
    Bruce ISACKSON
    Davina ISACKSON
    Michelle JANAVS
    Elisabeth KIMMEL
    Marjorie KLAPPER
    Lori LOUGHLIN
    Toby MACFARLANE
    William McGLASHAN
    Marci PALATELLA
    Peter Jan SARTORIO
    Stephen SEMPREVIVO
    Devin SLOANE
    John WILSON
    Homayoun ZADEH
    Robert ZANGRILLO

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    For $500K you would be able to attend some very prestigious schools for the full 4 years and then some. Of course you would have to meet the admission requirements and then do the work. Apparently some in Hollywood think you can buy anything, and they have the money to try. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I guess rich kids sometimes aren't so better off for it all, not if that's the kind of values their parents are teaching them. Money may not necessarily rule out virtue, but sure can't buy it either.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder if that Robert Zangrillo is the guy with Dragon Global, a tech investor.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Meh!

Rich people’s problems!

Some of the people I have worked with in my life with degrees from so called “great schools” definitely did not get a good value for the money!

Money doesn’t equal intelligence!

Education doesn’t equal intellectual ability!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Meh!

Rich people’s problems!

Some of the people I have worked with in my life with degrees from so called “great schools” definitely did not get a good value for the money!

Money doesn’t equal intelligence!

Education doesn’t equal intellectual ability!

More to the point for these people: a degree from a prestigious college does not necessarily equal big money....but it don't hurt.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ... Apparently some in Hollywood think you can buy anything...

Wait... You mean... You can't?

OJ bought an acquittal. MJ bought years of silence. Robert Blake, Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner, Robert Downey Jr., Lindsay Lohan, etc, etc, etc...

$$$ buys you preferential treatment in our legal system, why should college admissions be any different?:dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    On a slightly different tangent, I think most parents who had a degree of difficulty in their youth want things to be "easier" for their kids. I think that's natural.

Its also the problem.

I think the more appropriate attitude is that I want things to be better for my kids: better opportunities, better insight at how to succeed with the opportunities, better choices overall. That is not the same as "easier." In fact, sometimes, it is the exact opposite.

Top Bottom