• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    What I'd like to do is be able to keep my VPN on all the time, system wide, except for Chrome. I checked the settings in Chrome and found the Proxy section. It tells me:
    The Google Gods said:
    [FONT=&amp]When running Google Chrome under a supported desktop environment, the system proxy settings will be used. However, either your system is not supported or there was a problem launching your system configuration. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]But you can still configure via the command line. Please see man google-chrome-stable for more information on flags and environment variables.
    [/FONT]

I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
    Using TorGuard VPN & sometimes Proton VPN
    Chrome 72.0.3626.109

I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I don't know how and I'm not finding any solutions in a general search. I only use Chrome on a limited basis for specific work at home stuff. I'm not familiar with the internal Chrome flags and settings.

Any help?

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Who is good with Linux, VPNs & Chrome?

If you setup something like SquidProxy on your computer you could direct http/https traffic to it, but I’m not sure if you can split the traffic or not. I’ve not tried that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    What I'd like to do is be able to keep my VPN on all the time, system wide, except for Chrome. I checked the settings in Chrome and found the Proxy section. It tells me:

I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
    Using TorGuard VPN & sometimes Proton VPN
    Chrome 72.0.3626.109

I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I don't know how and I'm not finding any solutions in a general search. I only use Chrome on a limited basis for specific work at home stuff. I'm not familiar with the internal Chrome flags and settings.

Any help?
    I think your best way, well maybe I shouldnt say best someone else may have a better idea but use a program like firewall builder (comes with about every dist under the sun) then build firewall rules that are based on program and point the firewall rule for chrome to your normal gateway instead of the VPN tunnel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I think your best way, well maybe I shouldnt say best someone else may have a better idea but use a program like firewall builder (comes with about every dist under the sun) then build firewall rules that are based on program and point the firewall rule for chrome to your normal gateway instead of the VPN tunnel.

This might work. I normally don't dink with firewall rules so I forgot all about them. I'll have to look into it. LM comes with Gufw, I know it exists, but that's about it.

I know that Chrome used to have a proxy/network setting. It appears to be gone now though. Firefox still has it, but I use Tampermonkey on Chrome for custom scripts. I like Firefox as my main browser and don't want to flip them.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    This might work. I normally don't dink with firewall rules so I forgot all about them. I'll have to look into it. LM comes with Gufw, I know it exists, but that's about it.

I know that Chrome used to have a proxy/network setting. It appears to be gone now though. Firefox still has it, but I use Tampermonkey on Chrome for custom scripts. I like Firefox as my main browser and don't want to flip them.
    Right, firewall builder is really nice, you can use it to build your iptable then use gufw for starting/stopping/logging etc... if you want but now you mention it, I think gufw has the ability to base rules on applications also

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Redhood
    Top Bottom