• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My Samsung Galaxy 5 never held a charge all day, but now it's down to about 4 hours, even with a brand new battery. I don't use a lot of apps or do a lot of streaming.

Any suggestions for a smartphone (preferably Android) that will hold a charge all day and have some left in the evening? I have Cricket but can use an AT&T phone.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've got a first gen Google Pixel that I've had for a few years for work. It lasts about 5-7 days on one charge... but I also rarely use it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    When my iPhone batteries started losing capacity, I found some cases with integrated battery that helped a lot. I don't know if they make them for Android phones but I'll bet they do.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    No recommendation on phone, but I would recommend installingTaskKiller from the app store, as well. It will shut down apps that are not being used, saving battery power.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The newer Samsung phones (S8 and beyond) seem to run a lot longer on a charge than did the previous generations. If you like your phone now, that's an easy choice.

I use my phone a lot. During the busy time (May - July), I will have 40+ calls daily and use 60+ GB of data each month. What I have found works best for me is to spend a little money to put a charger everywhere that you sit down. There's a phone charger at my bed, each of two couches, in each car, on the motorcycle, at my desk (both home and work), and at my work bench.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No recommendation on phone, but I would recommend installingTaskKiller from the app store, as well. It will shut down apps that are not being used, saving battery power.

I think this is the problem with most smartphones. My battery is still at 90% at the end of the day, but all I use it for is phone calls, checking email and texting. DoggyMama has the exact same phone, but she has a crap ton of apps (that I think she got installed by clicking on things she shouldn't have clicked on in Facebook) and hers will be down to about 20-30%. She talks on the phone a lot more than I do, but I think it's the apps, especially Facebook that kill the battery. When I hear about people "gaming" on smartphones, I can't imagine how they do it.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I do a 5S Active and at first it couldn't handle but a few hours before needing a charge. Bought a new battery and set the power saving mode and it lasts 10/12 hours with using Internet and streaming music while out on deliveries for 8 hours. The power saving mode made all the difference for me. YMMV

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have a Moto E4 plus. Nothing fancy but the battery lasts 4 days with my usage. I'm not constantly on it during the day. Do use it quite a bit at night INGO'ing and what not.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My Samsung Galaxy 5 never held a charge all day, but now it's down to about 4 hours, even with a brand new battery. I don't use a lot of apps or do a lot of streaming.

Any suggestions for a smartphone (preferably Android) that will hold a charge all day and have some left in the evening? I have Cricket but can use an AT&T phone.
    Nearly any new phone will do this. The larger phones with larger batteries will of course give you some more. Also depends on your usage. Your other option is of course a case/battery combination to extend the capacity.

This is bad advice and can even result in worse battery life on the current versions of Android. Android has a setting now that allows you to disable background activity on a per app basis. That is the better way to go if you know you don't want an app doing anything in the background.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, I disabled background activity and I uninstalled Tapatalk, since that seems to be the app that hogs the most energy. I don't INGO much from my phone, but if I want to, I'll go to the website through the browser. I took my phone off the charger and I'll see what happens today.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Keep it coming. :)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Exactly this! Restrict app usage (especially background apps) turn off cellular data and location services for apps that you are not actively using. Also turn down the screen brightness. The screen uses the majority of your battery closely followed by either the wifi or cell searching for service and/or constantly communicating. That will help just about any phone.

Top Bottom