• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I plan on adding 3 or 4 more can lights in my kitchen. Currently there are 5 lights on the circuit I want to add to. The current lights are controlled by 3 separate switches. I was planning on just tapping into one of the current lights and daisy chaining off of it to add the lights. However I don't know where the power comes in at, switch or light. Does this make a difference? I plan on having a buddy that knows more about wiring than I do to help but thought I'd check with INGO experts as well.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    If you have 3 switches controlling this I want to see the diagram. I have done the 2 switch thing but not 3. Interesting.

It’s the same as how you wired the 2 switches but having a 4-way switch in the middle. 2 wires run from 1 switch to the 4-way and then from the 4-way to the final switch. Those wires are known as travelers.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Ws6guy daisy chaining off of your other can lights is the way to go as long as your not maxing out your circuit. A 20 amp breaker should only have 16 amps max on it.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    If you have 3 switches controlling this I want to see the diagram. I have done the 2 switch thing but not 3. Interesting.

Yea I don't know how it's wired. It's pretty ridiculous that I have 3 switches in a small kitchen, 2 would've more than sufficient. I've only used the 3rd switch maybe once or twice in 7 years living in the house.

I did find out that the current lights have square boxes instead of round and no way of accessing the junction box without cutting a hole in the ceiling.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    If they are can lights, you shouldn't need to cut any holes to get to the boxes. The cans will come out through the hole they are in. Just need to back out a few screws.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    If they are can lights, you shouldn't need to cut any holes to get to the boxes. The cans will come out through the hole they are in. Just need to back out a few screws.

Negative, they are square boxes with a round part that protrudes through he drywall. Not even a screw inside the box. Did notice this label in the box, not sure if that means that no more than 6 lights should be chained together.

1zgqa2v.jpg

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Ws6guy daisy chaining off of your other can lights is the way to go as long as your not maxing out your circuit. A 20 amp breaker should only have 16 amps max on it.

There are a total of 7 lights on this circuit and I don't believe there is anything else. It's a 15 amp circuit so I should be good there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It’s the same as how you wired the 2 switches but having a 4-way switch in the middle. 2 wires run from 1 switch to the 4-way and then from the 4-way to the final switch. Those wires are known as travelers.

I figured this out after I posted the question. I have never done it but it was easy to find on line.

Thanks.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I've got 3 switches for my family room light, not sure if it was installed correctly or not but they are a pain in the butt. You pretty much have to turn them on with the switch you turned it off with. Otherwise you have to go around and start flipping switches till it comes back on. And it's ridiculous, there is maybe 15 ft between all 3. Two are maybe 5-6 ft apart.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Negative, they are square boxes with a round part that protrudes through he drywall. Not even a screw inside the box. Did notice this label in the box, not sure if that means that no more than 6 lights should be chained together.

1zgqa2v.jpg

That label is talking about junction- box fill per code requirements. Meaning you can’t take more than 3 romex cables in to make joints in a 90 degree environment. You can tie as many lights as you want but cannot exceed 80% of you breaker size.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'd say you have a jumper wire wrong. My upstairs hall lights have 3 switches as well. A couple of years ago I replaced the almond color switches with white. If I remember correctly I had the same type of issue and I think it was a jumper wire hooked up wrong.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    There should be a way to access the junction box through the hole with no need for extra cuts.

I wish but the box is mounted solid and there are no access panels, screws, or anything else inside the box. I do have lights in a bulk head so I can cut into the side of that so at least I won't have to patch the ceiling.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Have fun, you'll need to find the switch leg off of the last 3 way or you're going to create yourself a troubleshooting nightmare. I followed behind someone that didn't understand 3 and 4 way switches once. It wasn't fun. Remember that when you add more lights to the circuit your light output from the original lights will dim somewhat, may not be noticeable in your situation. Might want to consider upgrading to LED's.

And before someone goes throwing the calculations out there I've seen it in the real world, too much load and the output suffers.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've got 3 switches for my family room light, not sure if it was installed correctly or not but they are a pain in the butt. You pretty much have to turn them on with the switch you turned it off with. Otherwise you have to go around and start flipping switches till it comes back on. And it's ridiculous, there is maybe 15 ft between all 3. Two are maybe 5-6 ft apart.

They've probably got the travelers on your 4 way on the wrong terminals.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Have fun, you'll need to find the switch leg off of the last 3 way or you're going to create yourself a troubleshooting nightmare. I followed behind someone that didn't understand 3 and 4 way switches once. It wasn't fun. Remember that when you add more lights to the circuit your light output from the original lights will dim somewhat, may not be noticeable in your situation. Might want to consider upgrading to LED's.

And before someone goes throwing the calculations out there I've seen it in the real world, too much load and the output suffers.

Yep, already have the LED's. Any idea how I find the switch leg?

Top Bottom