• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Since moving away from the suburbs we've noticed that we can only occasionally hear the weather sirens when they test them. I'm confident that we wouldn't hear them when it was really needed so I have to find an alternative. I'm thinking a weather radio would be the way to go and perhaps one with the ability to be hand cranked in the event of a power loss and/or dead batteries. Outside of this I no nothing about them, figured I'd check with the INGO family before spending money on something less than ideal.

Anyone have suggestions?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Several years ago, I bought my mom a red Cross weather radio. She really enjoyed it.

Yes. There are quite a few variations on this available. They can offer multiple bands, weather, multiple power sources (AC/crank/USB/solar) and integrated flashlight. I have two different Etons that I'm happy with. Kaito is another well-known competitor in this space. Don't know enough to recommend a "best" model/brand.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We have a Midland handheld rechargeable and as I recall it was around $35 +/-. Looks like the handheld walkie talkies. You can code in a fairly small locations so you don’t get a bunch of useless alerts. Can hear it throughout out our 1,800 sf ranch. Usually just sits in the charger but has plenty of charge if we take it with us to hideout in our shelter closet of if we had to leave the house.

I have a hand crank radio in my BOB and my impression of the crank is cheap. Not sure how well it would hold up under extended use. For Indiana weather were really talking about short term events (tornado/T-storm). Plenty of charge for a storm or two to blow though. If I were dealing with multi-day events like a hurricane I would get the optional battery pack that held AA batteries. For extended events an AM FM band is nice to have too as you will actually get some news in addition to official announcements.

Your cell phone is an option too but I am too old to learn/rely on such fancy technology. Having a charged battery pack for your phone is a good idea.

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    If you have a smartphone, the myradar app worked pretty well for me for alerts (actually to an annoying degree) on the storm that came through Jackson County last week. While the myradar has a few minute delay on the radar image, I could still plot that the two storm cells would pass just North and just South of where I was just based on movement track.

All that assumes you have either WiFi or cell tower data service in the event though. If you put a big UPS battery pack on your TV/Cable/Satelite/Router, you may be able to keep the live local TV news feed radar updates going even if your house power goes out briefly since the cable service is (usually) on a separate circuit.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    The white Midland countertop ones you see at Kroger or wherever should work fine; set the "filter" for the counties you want and you're good to go.

Sirens are designed for people who are outside, not indoors. Phones have advanced such that now you'll get local severe warnings when you're traveling, versus being clueless because from from away...

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Did you know the Baofang UV5R multiband radio which was a hot topic here couple months back receives weather freqs and comes with a charging stand?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I got my weather radio for free from my county Emergency Management Office. It seems they were given a grant from the Indiana DHS and they used it to buy WX radios to give away to residents that asked. You might call your county EOC and see if they have any. I got a nice Midland radio that I have seen at Kroger for $29.95. BTW when your local cell phone tower gets knocked off the air your weather apps won't be worth much unless they
    are able to use your wifi...assuming your internet is still up and running.

Battery powered WX radios are the safe bet....

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Did you know the Baofang UV5R multiband radio which was a hot topic here couple months back receives weather freqs and comes with a charging stand?

It does not have an alert function though. Good for monitoring while out, but not if you need notification.

It can be tuned to the weather frequencies and left on, when there is an alert they send the EAS over the weather channels. You can also tune to a local weather net and get real time updates during severe weather. If you want an actual radio, I have one that you can have.

Top Bottom