Deck stairs - is this method acceptable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm doing some repair work on my deck today and I just want to make sure the method used is for this section of stairs is acceptable / OK. The sides are solid but the middle part isn't doing much and that may be OK.

Now is the time for me to change it if it needs it, so let me know what you think.

deck.jpg

thanks!
    Clay

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Posts to support the bottom of the stairs will keep it from sinking in a couple years due to weight or erosion. Think of it as part of the deck and needing support, probably more so than the deck. More money and work now, but speaking from experience.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the span is around 40". I didn't throw a tape on it to get an exact measurement, but that's close. The ends are supported by 2x8s.

The deck is probably 20 years old. I actually removed the thread on the stairs because they needed replaced. I'll look into adding a solid center support, it will just take some work to to get it anchored at the bottom side.

thanks!
    Clay

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Yeah, add stringers, risers are not structure. It's a dry read, but has lots of really good info on deck building and structure (includes info on stairs as well). I had to rebuild my stairs last summer and had to beef up a landing where the steps turn. Your stairs should be strong enough to have a dance party on and not have any movement. Page 20 is where the stair info really starts.

https://awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/dca/AWC-DCA62015-DeckGuide-1804.pdf

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Looks like stringers are the way to go. Thanks guys! But like CHCRandy said........ I don't want to cut them LOL. They aren't 'standard' at least not what menards sells which is 7 x 11. These are more like 7-1/2" x 12" so I'll have to custom make them. Yay! :)

Top Bottom