Drilling a hole into a solid surface countertop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m planning on installing a water filter system underneath my sink. And I have a solid surface countertop, with the integrated sink. The filter system comes with its own faucet. And it looks like it requires a 1/2” hole.

So how hard is a solid surface countertop? Will a regular drill bit suffice? Or should I use a carbide tipped drill? I don’t want to chip or crack the countertop.

I have drilled holes into laminate countertops before, but never a solid surface.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Sounds like you will be drilling near an edge. Be careful with pressure to not cause a crack.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Keeps the chipping to a minimum but the sold surface shouldn’t do that. Make sure the bit sharp. Does the faucet have a escutcheon?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What’s the purpose of using masking tape? And how about a hole saw?
    If it were me I'd be using something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-1-2-in-Diamond-Arbored-Hole-Saw/1000448891 Shouldn't need a lot of pressure but be careful when it breaks through that you don't let the drill smack the counter top.

We replaced a stainless steel sink with a composit granite/quartz one and after being told "All you need is a hole saw" by the salesperson I tried a regular hole saw and it didn't go well. The hole saw had no teeth after making only about 1/8" into the sink.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Personally,
    I would run the filtered water to the cold side of the existing faucet and call it a day.

But, that's just me.

Edit:
    If the water pressure was not reduced by the filter.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If it were me I'd be using something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-1-2-in-Diamond-Arbored-Hole-Saw/1000448891 Shouldn't need a lot of pressure but be careful when it breaks through that you don't let the drill smack the counter top.

We replaced a stainless steel sink with a composite granite/quartz one and after being told "All you need is a hole saw" by the salesperson I tried a regular hole saw and it didn't go well. The hole saw had no teeth after making only about 1/8" into the sink.

Yup. Acrylic is a lot gentler than rock. And rock will f*** up a metal cutting tool.

Next time you go to store:
    [video=youtube;IEhHEOIYgMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhHEOIYgMY[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Personally,
    I would run the filtered water to the cold side of the existing faucet and call it a day.

But, that's just me.

Edit:
    If the water pressure was not reduced by the filter.

If it's R/O, that's not practical. An under-sink unit takes about an hour to fill a 5 gallon tank, and the water pressure isn't very high either. The bladder in the tank creates the pressure, so it ain't all that much. But even if you had a huge capacity tank with sufficient pressure, you'd waste a **** ton of water. With a typical under-sink R/O setup, for every gallon of purified water you get out of the tap, about 3 gallons go to waste.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We are assuming by solid surface you are talking about some type of acrylic like Corian, LG, etc and not stone. Though stone is "solid" it is not referred to as solid surface in the industry.

I would use a high quality hole saw and start slow. Masking tape is always good to use whether it is needed or not. It just might prevent some surface chipping or if there is an initial slip of the bit, you may prevent marring the actual surface.

You can keep the bit cooler by building a dam around the area with plumber's putty and adding some water. Or just periodically stop drilling and vacuum up the dust.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yup. Acrylic is a lot gentler than rock. And rock will f*** up a metal cutting tool.

Next time you go to store:
    [video=youtube;IEhHEOIYgMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhHEOIYgMY[/video]

Yes, I should know this by now but every so often they still get me and I wonder why I listened...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We are assuming by solid surface you are talking about some type of acrylic like Corian, LG, etc and not stone. Though stone is "solid" it is not referred to as solid surface in the industry.

I would use a high quality hole saw and start slow. Masking tape is always good to use whether it is needed or not. It just might prevent some surface chipping or if there is an initial slip of the bit, you may prevent marring the actual surface.

You can keep the bit cooler by building a dam around the area with plumber's putty and adding some water. Or just periodically stop drilling and vacuum up the dust.

This. I apparently was not explicit enough. My old man used to tell me to not assume he was stupid when I was 'splainin something. Too much info that he didn't need. 'Round here you get abused if you leave out one jot or tittle.:rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I used the term "jot or tittle" in a meeting at work once. They thought I was being vulgar or something. I had to make them look it up. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom