• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Does anyone here use the USPS Informed Delivery service? I signed up for it yesterday and got my first notification of what was to be delivered to me today. Thing is, the mail it said would be delivered today was the mail that they delivered yesterday. That doesn't seem very helpful. I just wondered if that is the norm, or whether there is some "catching up" time involved until it becomes current. :dunno:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds about right a day or two behind.

You mean always, or just because I only signed up yesterday? I can kind of understand a little lag time (being new to the service), but the whole purpose of the service is to let you know what is coming... not what came the day before.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Ours is pretty consistent; in the morning we get the notification for the mail to be delivered today.

The USPS has been scanning almost every piece of mail as it comes through their system for a while, just recently making it available to consumers. I wonder what they did with the information before?:shady:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay good. Hopefully they'll be caught up by tomorrow. We've had some mail theft on our street, and when I didn't get any mail Monday or Tuesday (not even junk mail - almost unheard of), I thought it'd be a good idea to sign up for it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I wonder what they did with the information before?:shady:
    Nothing, I sent 10 G43 mags to Montana 2.5 years ago, USPS priority box, it scanned at the PO I dropped off, scanned that it was sent to the Indy facility, scanned enroute, and has never been seen again.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Does it give notice of the first, second, or all deliveries for the day? Our carrier has many days where they'll forget a package or two for our street and make a later mad dash by the house to make up for their error.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Does anyone here use the USPS Informed Delivery service? I signed up for it yesterday and got my first notification of what was to be delivered to me today. Thing is, the mail it said would be delivered today was the mail that they delivered yesterday. That doesn't seem very helpful. I just wondered if that is the norm, or whether there is some "catching up" time involved until it becomes current. :dunno:

I've had it for a couple years. Moved here last year and it followed me just fine. Every now and then they lag for a day or 2 but 98% of the time they are very good. I get a daily email, unless there is no mail.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    One to two days late all the time .UPS on the other hand is dead on even if the post office is the last leg. Priority is normally better.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ours is pretty consistent; in the morning we get the notification for the mail to be delivered today.

The USPS has been scanning almost every piece of mail as it comes through their system for a while, just recently making it available to consumers. I wonder what they did with the information before?:shady:

Yep, been signed up for a while now. I get the email in the morning for the mail I will receive that day. If you do not receive something you can go to the dashboard and click the didn't receive button for that particular item. Not sure exactly what that does, but have done it a couple of times and that piece of mail then showed up the next day typically.

The dashboard also has the past days info and info on packages, etc.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Does it give notice of the first, second, or all deliveries for the day? Our carrier has many days where they'll forget a package or two for our street and make a later mad dash by the house to make up for their error.

It gives you images of what has been sorted to be delivered for you that day. If it was sorted and ready for the carrier that day, and it is of a size that they can get an image, it should be included.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    It gives you images of what has been sorted to be delivered for you that day. If it was sorted and ready for the carrier that day, and it is of a size that they can get an image, it should be included.

Also seems like some of the junk mail doesn't get scanned, either.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Where I live, I wouldn't trust the USPS any farther than I could throw them against the wind.
    In fact, I'll gladly pay extra and do everything I can to avoid EVER having an order shipped to me by the USPS.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mine is a day behind more often than not. Yes, sometimes its accurate, but typically I open the email and see pictures of the envelopes that are already sitting on the table next to me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had a package from Amazon delivered USPS recently, I saw the guy pull up in the driveway so walked out to save him a few steps. Before I got back to the front door I had received a text message saying the package had been delivered!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Where I live, I wouldn't trust the USPS any farther than I could throw them against the wind.
    In fact, I'll gladly pay extra and do everything I can to avoid EVER having an order shipped to me by the USPS.

That's not what this is about. Informed Delivery is a service that scans the mail that is to be delivered to your house each day and sends you the scanned images of the actual mail. I assume you still get mail from the USPS, yes?

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been getting the emails ever since I moved here in december and I didn’t remember signing up for it, but it usually is what coming that day for me at least.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got a response from USPS Customer Service:

Dear DoggyDaddy,

Thank you for contacting the USPS® Internet Customer Care Center.

You recently informed us you have not received your notification emails.

Equipment maintenance or other issues can occasionally affect the processing of images and delivery of notifications. Any of these issues may result in images not matching the actual mail delivered that day.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us again.

Thank you for emailing your Postal Service™,

USPS Internet Customer Care Center

Top Bottom