• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm in the market for a new ztr mower. I'm willing to spend a decent amount for a decent mower. I have an acre yard that I like to mow tall and often. I want it to last but also don't want to spend nine grand for a big commercial mower. I'm looking to spend $6000 or less.

I think I've narrowed it down to Scag Liberty z or Freedom z and Exmark Quest or Radius. The only reason I'm not sold on the Exmark is they now have their own branded Chinese made engine in the Radius. It has a four year warranty and I've read where plenty of guys are saying they're ok but I'm still on the fence.

Does anybody here have any mid range Scag or Exmark Radius Chinese power experience?

Thanks
    Doug

Last edited:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I bought a cub cadet ZT 15 years ago that my daughter is still using. Never had any problems with it. I replaced it with another one just like it. This one can be bought for around
    3 grand. I mow about 2 acres with it. Also for my property down in southern Indiana I bought a bad boy ZT last year its a bigger mower and more rugged. It cost a little over
    6 grand but this thing is a beast. I mow about 4 hilly, rough acres with it. I really like both of these mowers and would recommend either one.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I bought a Gravely ZTX 42 a couple years ago. It's early but so far it's been a great mower for a residential model. I only have around 3/4 acre that is virtually flat. Flat being important because I've heard that most of the residential ZTRs hydros won't last if you have hills.

The one thing I forgot is that changing the oil on the Gravely is a pain in the butt. When I change it this spring I'm going to try and get some pipe fittings attached to the engine to get the drain in a better location.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    45c9b171-b1fd-4d35-bb8d-e7a283a9ed59_text.gif

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    I've got a SCAG Liberty Z. Mine has the Kohler engine. I wish it had the Kawasaki. Mine has been in the shop twice in the first 100 hours. I won't be buying another SCAG. Others in my area really seem to like them, I just haven't had very good luck with it. I might look into the Hustler or Country Clipper for my next ZTR.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I'm in the market for a new ztr mower. I'm willing to spend a decent amount for a decent mower. I have an acre yard that I like to mow tall and often. I want it to last but also don't want to spend nine grand for a big commercial mower. I'm looking to spend $6000 or less.

I think I've narrowed it down to Scag Liberty z or Freedom z and Exmark Quest or Radius. The only reason I'm not sold on the Exmark is they now have their own branded Chinese made engine in the Radius. It has a four year warranty and I've read where plenty of guys are saying they're ok but I'm still on the fence.

Does anybody here have any mid range Scag or Exmark Radius Chinese power experience?

Thanks
    Doug

We purchased an Ariens Ztr 60 inch deck with a Kawasaki engine. We cut just around the house about 3.5 acres have been very happy with it. Cuts nice.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Not sure if you’ve looked into the hustler brand, but they’re quality mowers worth a look. I bought mine brand new last year, one year old model, so it was discounted. Mine is a raptor sd 48” which is a residential model, but has the Kawasaki engine. I paid like 3300 out the door. So for your budget, I’m sure you could get a commercial grade with a larger deck. Good luck with your search

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Haha yeah that's why I didn't bump any old threads.

I've got a SCAG Liberty Z. Mine has the Kohler engine. I wish it had the Kawasaki. Mine has been in the shop twice in the first 100 hours. I won't be buying another SCAG. Others in my area really seem to like them, I just haven't had very good luck with it. I might look into the Hustler or Country Clipper for my next ZTR.

Dang. So, it was engine problems?

2 years into my used Freedom-Z. No major problems. Pretty happy with it. Next one will either be a commercial Scag or a Ferris.

Good to hear. Does it get grass all over you when you mow? I've read some guys have had it happen.

Not sure if you’ve looked into the hustler brand, but they’re quality mowers worth a look. I bought mine brand new last year, one year old model, so it was discounted. Mine is a raptor sd 48” which is a residential model, but has the Kawasaki engine. I paid like 3300 out the door. So for your budget, I’m sure you could get a commercial grade with a larger deck. Good luck with your search

I may check out Hustler again. The dealer I went to that carried them didn't have any in stock.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    When it comes to ztr mowers every year its a diffrent one that is the one to have on most of the forums im on. I like scag and exmark. Scag more because dealer is 5 min away for parts. Cant go wrong with one or the other. Both are great mowers. Ferris is a good choice. STAY AWAY from new Dixie Choppers not what they used to be my 2002 xw2400 is a champ but newer ones are subpar to what is out now with other brands.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    My son bought a new Exmark Radius last spring and has had no issues at all with the mower. It has the Chinese made engine and it does fine. I have about 1400 hours on my Exmark with the Kawasaki motor and it's developed a small oil leak but I've had no other issues with the motor or the mower.

He doesn't mow nearly as much as I do and I'm sure he will never get close to 1000 hours so I think the Exmark engine will do him fine.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes, both times engine problems. I've always hear the Kawasaki's are the best engines, but the year I bought mine they were only using the Kohlers.

I can't speak to zero turns, but I have a 22 year old JD lawn tractor with a Kawasaki that does 2.5 acres sometimes twice a week without a hiccup and plows the 100 yard long driveway all winter. Good engines.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I would consider looking for a gently used commercial grade Scag, JD, Exmark, or Ferris. Should be able to get into one for around $6k without much difficulty.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I sell exmark and gravely for a living. I also file all warranty claims for my store. In the past 12 months I have filed exactly 2 claims on the Chinese engines. 1 was a fuel pump and one was a starter. Fwiw, gravely is now using the same engine on certain models. Those engines are good to go.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin

thats what I went with last year after buying the new place with 4.6 acres. Ferris was recommended buy a coworker. Castleton Outdoor Solutions had the best price and let me know about a $250 rebate other places never mentioned. Even if you don’t go Ferris, they have SCAG and other brands. Might be worth a phone call.

Top Bottom