• ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    We've all been there,
    The guy describing great amounts of time (say, continental drift) in terms of 'Light Years',
    Or his new job as a 'Quantum Leap' from what he used to do...
    The guy that shows you his new 'Gun' muzzle first, pointed at your guts,
    The guy that's wrecked 6 cars in 3 years but claims he's a good driver and wants to 'borrow' your car...

How exactly do you deal with people like this?

Deep breath and a 10 count?
    Avoid at all costs?
    Politely dismiss yourself and run?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've dealt with number 4. NO!

He used to brag about all of the cars he's totaled and gotten away with. Then gets pissed when I tell him "No you can't borrow my new truck" or anything else I own for that matter.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You forgot the guy who knows more than the engineers and manufacturers that design and make certain electrical products.

I won't speak for issues with electrical parts...but automotive parts ummm yeah I could certainly give an engineer or manufacturer some ways to improve some products. They should have tonwork on somenof the BS they design and put together

Mostly just tell people no or depending on the setting just nod politely at their ignorance

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I won't speak for issues with electrical parts...but automotive parts ummm yeah I could certainly give an engineer or manufacturer some ways to improve some products. They should have tonwork on somenof the BS they design and put together

Same for me. I think engineers should have to work in the field for at least 2 years before they actually get to design something

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Mostly just tell people no or depending on the setting just nod politely at their ignorance

Same for me. I think engineers should have to work in the field for at least 2 years before they actually get to design something

Some of this criticism may be misdirected at the engineers. If they are told they have to engineer an installation for the alternator in a location behind and basically underneath the exhaust manifold, is it really their fault that it's a ***** to change? And if they're not allowed sufficient budget to make that installation sufficiently resistant to overheating and/or moisture and dirt kicked up by the tires, is that truly on them?

If engineers made all the design decisions, it would be perfect - but it would still be on the drawing board, too :)

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Some of this criticism may be misdirected at the engineers. If they are told they have to engineer an installation for the alternator in a location behind and basically underneath the exhaust manifold, is it really their fault that it's a ***** to change? And if they're not allowed sufficient budget to make that installation sufficiently resistant to overheating and/or moisture and dirt kicked up by the tires, is that truly on them?

If engineers made all the design decisions, it would be perfect - but it would still be on the drawing board, too :)

Yep. I've talked to an ex engineer for GM. His department would design a component to function flawlessly for life and send the specs to the purchasing department. They wouldn't accept that design because thee cost would be say $10 and they wanted it to cost $2. The engineers would then have to redesign the part to cut the cost back somewhere.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Ok, for automotive I'll give you that.
    But I work with natural gas. most of the engineers I work with don't even go look at the job site, they google earth it.
    I've had more than one engineer tell me " Why cant you put that fitting there? the book tells me it will work"

Top Bottom