• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, not for shooting. For a homeschool science demo/experiment. I've had this cool thing in my back pocket for years. Now that my kids are old enough, its time to make it. And I'm going to invite a bunch of other homeschool families along. Hell, if you wanna join us, you can. It looks pretty cool.

https://www.noao.edu/education/peppercorn/pcmain.html

Ideally, the span would be on a slight incline so you could see the entire distance from anywhere along the path. But as long as it is more or less flat, That is good enough. It just cant have dips and hills that would obscure parts of the model from various points along the path.

Any suggestions?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Bump to help a guy out.

And if you can do this quickly enough - you MAY be able to take advantage of a school ground while they're on spring break.

Also - you're probably also allowed to utilize some parts of a school grounds after like 5:00pm on school days, too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bump to help a guy out.

And if you can do this quickly enough - you MAY be able to take advantage of a school ground while they're on spring break.

Also - you're probably also allowed to utilize some parts of a school grounds after like 5:00pm on school days, too.

Sadly, I cant find any schools with green space with slightly over a half mile line of sight.

I may actually go to my boyhood neighborhood in extreme NE Hendricks county. Mom still lives there and I have a mile to work with of we put the stakes along the side of the road. And there is little traffic so walking along the road isnt overly dangerous.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You may have to halve your model.

I did a model solar system on the sidewalk outside the school when I student taught. Just had to fiddle with the proportions based on the length of sidewalk I had to work with.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You may have to halve your model.

I did a model solar system on the sidewalk outside the school when I student taught. Just had to fiddle with the proportions based on the length of sidewalk I had to work with.
    I'm already dealing with planets the size of the ball of a straight pin. Would prefer not to have the students bring not only binocs to see prior planets during the walk, but also magnifying glasses to see the planet they are standing next to. :):

I think either my old street or one of the rail trails might work.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think thats a good option. We could park at the CoC and head southeast.
    Yep. Either direction should work. Less foot traffic to the west. There is a bit of a dip/rise that direction, too, where you might be able to see the next "planet" if you put out markers of some sort (balloons work well). There is a little parking lot on the east side of SR267, and Frazee's doesn't typically mind if you use their lot.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    South side of Indy. Where at in Columbus?

There's an abandoned airport that Cummins now owns and uses as a test track. If you were interested in making it an "event" for home schoolers, or even include elementary schools, I'm guessing Cummins would get on board with the idea.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Closest 1000yd range I know of in Indiana is Youngs Long Shot. I know its not "close" to Indy but thats the only 1000yd range worth going to Ive found. Its in Wolcottville. Its a cruise but worth it.

It has bunkers & steel targets from 100yds to 1000yds.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Closest 1000yd range I know of in Indiana is Youngs Long Shot. I know its no "close" to Indy but thats the only worth 1000yd range going to Ive found. Its in Wolcottville. Its a cruise but worth it.
    It has bunkets & steel targets from 100yds to 1000yds.

Yeah, I don't usually waste my time reading the previous posts either.

No judgment here.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

Yeah, I don't usually waste my time reading the previous posts either.

No judgment here.

Judge all you want, its a great place for a group and awesome place for some father/son time. Might have misunderstood, was just tryn to give the best that I personally knew of for a possible choice. Ive looked for and tried as many as I ranges I could find and found them to be the best for a safe 1000yd range.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Judge all you want, its a great place for a group and awesome place for some father/son time. Might have misunderstood, was just tryn to give the best that I personally knew of for a possible choice. Ive looked for and tried as many as I ranges I could find and found them to be the best for a safe 1000yd range.

Edit - ok i misread nvm carry on apologize for the wrench.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Not sure if Southern Johnson County is convenient or not, but Johnson County park is very flat and has a lot of straight, infrequently used roads. Here's one example @ ~3060ft long. Lots of parking all around too.

https://goo.gl/maps/oWWj8a8ANmv

The road to the East of the highlighted one is one of the main roads down to Atterbury, so it's pretty heavily used. But all the side roads in Johnson County park are lightly used, unless there's an equestrian event going on.

I7dxiOem.jpg
    I7dxiOem.jpg
    h3877128178
    JC Park.JPG

Top Bottom