Why Does Walmart Want To Scan My Receipt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    When I went to Walmart today as I was leaving they greeter replacement asked to scan my receipt. I was taken aback as this has never happened to me before. He also asked to scan the person behind me as well. So does anyone know why they do this? Seems like a waste of resources to me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've not had this happen, but I only go to Walmart every once in a while. They will get a smile and a "no thanks" from me.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    When I went to Walmart today as I was leaving they greeter replacement asked to scan my receipt. I was taken aback as this has never happened to me before. He also asked to scan the person behind me as well. So does anyone know why they do this? Seems like a waste of resources to me.
    Because all your products have a Id in them and they know exactly what you are walking out with. When they scan the receipt it matches it with the transaction

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Because all your products have a Id in them and they know exactly what you are walking out with. When they scan the receipt it matches it with the transaction

Are you implying that there are Mark of the Beast microchips in my box of Twinkies? :):

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

It is a security measure to keep you from "re-using" your receipt. It is in response to a (fairly) common scam, goes like this:

The scammer buys several items legitimately, being sure to get the cashier's attention with smalltalk or flirting (important for later), and leaves the store with the items. A few minutes later the same scammer appears in the same cashier's line with a cart full of the the same items, plus one or two extras...

The scammer then claims that they "forgot to grab" one or two additional items before they checked out earlier, and ask the cashier to ring them up. The scam counts on the cashier remembering the earlier transaction and assuming the items in the cart now are the items she already rang up and collected on. So, the cashier rings up the one or two "additional" items and allows the scammer to walk away with a cart full of duplicate goods. If they get stopped at the door they have a receipt that shows all the items in their possession, so security may be none the wiser. A couple of days later they come back at return the legitimately purchased goods for a cash refund. The stolen goods get used or fenced for additional cash.

Scanning the receipt at the door helps to prevent it from being presented again fraudulently.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    It is a security measure to keep you from "re-using" your receipt. It is in response to a (fairly) common scam, goes like this:

The scammer buys several items legitimately, being sure to get the cashier's attention with smalltalk or flirting (important for later), and leaves the store with the items. A few minutes later the same scammer appears in the same cashier's line with a cart full of the the same items, plus one or two extras...

The scammer then claims that they "forgot to grab" one or two additional items before they checked out earlier, and ask the cashier to ring them up. The scam counts on the cashier remembering the earlier transaction and assuming the items in the cart now are the items she already rang up and collected on. So, the cashier rings up the one or two "additional" items and allows the scammer to walk away with a cart full of duplicate goods. If they get stopped at the door they have a receipt that shows all the items in their possession, so security may be none the wiser. A couple of days later they come back at return the legitimately purchased goods for a cash refund. The stolen goods get used or fenced for additional cash.

Scanning the receipt at the door helps to prevent it from being presented again fraudulently.
    I've read they are also rf ID'ing all their products as well

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    How does it work with Walmart Pay? I don't get a paper receipt, I pay with the app.
    They already have a digital signature of your items. As long as the digital signature that's passing through the sensors matches the digital signature of what was payed for there's no issue.. each rf ID is a hexadecimal number that is so big they can literally ID every blade of grass if they wanted so no 2 items even if the same thing will have a digital ID that is the same.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Theft is such a huge deal to retailers today that many of their procedures relate to inventory control and loss prevention. 50 years ago, when I worked part time at Block's Dept. Store, shoplifting in Marion County alone was believed to be about $1M a month loss. No telling what it is today.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Theft is such a huge deal to retailers today that many of their procedures relate to inventory control and loss prevention. 50 years ago, when I worked part time at Block's Dept. Store, shoplifting in Marion County alone was believed to be about $1M a month loss. No telling what it is today.
    Blocks Dept store... there is a name I have not heard in I cant even remember how long lol

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've read they are also rf ID'ing all their products as well

Ultimately the idea is to rf'id everything in the store; you roll up to the checkout and keep walking right by. They've scanned the items in the basket, scanned your personal chip and you walk out the door. This is something that retail has been working of for several years.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    They’re just trying to do their job... you can not comply without being a dick.

Yeah, exactly like this. :yesway:
    Read up on what all the new 5G network is incorporating into it, everything from self driving vehicles to DNA scanners, print readers, house hold appliances, pet microchips (and yes eventually human microchips) unless you plan to go completely off grid , growing/raising your own food etc.. compliance wont be optional eventually. This isnt tin foil hat crap, this is the future of a technologically connected world.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Read up on what all the new 5G network is incorporating into it, everything from self driving vehicles to DNA scanners, print readers, house hold appliances, pet microchips (and yes eventually human microchips) unless you plan to go completely off grid , growing/raising your own food etc.. compliance wont be optional eventually. This isnt tin foil hat crap, this is the future of a technologically connected world.

Either way, I’ll try not to be a dick unless it’s called for.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Keep walking. You signed no agreement to do this.

Sam's Club is one thing, and you have to let them swipe the yellow highlighter. You signed an agreement to be there...

But anywhere else? **** that noise. Say "no thanks" and keep walking. You are under NO obligation for any store to stop you at the door.

Top Bottom