• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    My neighbor has a beech tree with much of its branches growing over my roof.
    I contracted a seasoned company to trim up those limbs.
    She called the police on me and the company I hired saying we were trespassing on her property.
    The police officer indicated this was a civil matter and we would have to work this out.
    This person is unwilling to even compromise.
    Has anyone had any experience in this area that provide some suggestions?

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Tried to about a month ago. She just threw f bombs and told my wife and I to get off her property.
    Did all the right things to come to an accord.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have had some questions about this on a few occasions. Thankfully I was able to get the other persons blessings before trimming branches back.

A few years ago a tree (living) on my brother property fell during a storm and landed on his neighbors home and destroyed that guys rickety fence. Both had always gotten along so they just called their insurance companies and both got the same basic response. Nobody can oen a living tree, but if the tree was dead it would have been my brothers responsibility. I always thought odd an insurance co can legally claim no one can own a live tree, yet legally be such an issue between neighbors.

I say trim those branches and sort it out later <- just know I am not a lawyer so take it at your own risk

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes I have to trim my neighbor's overhanging branches. They get on the roof.

Something to keep in mind. Trees or bushes touching your house will rot any exposed wood it touches. Trees are 90% water.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We trim out limbs from the other side of the fence on occasion. If they cross the line they are mine basically. If one falls and causes injury/damage it is on the neighbor so whats the issue. Just do it. Or get a lawyer and bust her foul mouth up. Its not like she is going to like you regardless.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Thanks for this timely thread/answer. I was literally standing in my yard yesterday looking at problem roots from a neighbor's tree wondering what my options are.

Thank God my neighbor is a nice lady.

Now to figure out if cutting that root will do harm to the tree. Not that it appears to be my problem legally. My only problem is if it does, my home is on the leeward side of prevailing winds. So if it blows over, about 1/3 of my house is in its path.

My suggestion to the OP (IANAL) is send a registered letter with the court case details attached to make her aware that she cant do squat so long as its over your property line, then get your trimmers back out there and make sure they are all fully informed that they are allowed to do it legally and not to encroach on her property. And maybe a heads-up to the officers that they may be called again.

EDIT: Luckily for me the worst I have to deal with is my other neighbor, who insists that the leaves and dead limbs that fall from my tree onto their side are still my property, so they "helpfully" pile them next to my house or rake the leaves onto my side for me to dispose of. No huge problem either way because we have a fire pit, and in the fall my kids love to play in the leaves so it all works out, but the original idea of not disposing of what falls onto their lawn and instead putting it back on my side to be dealt with was annoyingly petty.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If it were me, I'd move....

...yeah, not useful, but barring that option, I'd get the limbs trimmed that overhang your land making sure the people who do it stay on your land. Let her do whatever she wants then.

To be clear, this is what I would do, I am not advising anyone else to do this. That's up to you.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had quite literally just moved into a house I had bought when the neighbor came pounding on my door on the first morning we stayed in the house. He told me that if I didn't trim the tree overhanging the fence he would have it done and bill me for it. He went so far as to call code enforcement on me and the city guy told him if he hadn't been such a dick to me in the first place that we probably could have worked it out. Those branches were still hanging over the fence when he sold the place a year later.

I have street frontage on two sides and my other 4 property lines are either unimproved property or neighbors that come walking over with two beers in their hands when there is a problem.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I had quite literally just moved into a house I had bought when the neighbor came pounding on my door on the first morning we stayed in the house. He told me that if I didn't trim the tree overhanging the fence he would have it done and bill me for it. He went so far as to call code enforcement on me and the city guy told him if he hadn't been such a dick to me in the first place that we probably could have worked it out. Those branches were still hanging over the fence when he sold the place a year later.

I have street frontage on two sides and my other 4 property lines are either unimproved property or neighbors that come walking over with two beers in their hands when there is a problem.

I hear so many horror stories about bad neighbors on this site. Makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have good neighbors. My neighbors are great. In the winter time, if I don't get out first thing to clear the snow, chances are he already beat me to it. Nice people.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Both had always gotten along so they just called their insurance companies and both got the same basic response. Nobody can oen a living tree, but if the tree was dead it would have been my brothers responsibility. I always thought odd an insurance co can legally claim no one can own a live tree, yet legally be such an issue between neighbors.

How the heck can an insurance company say no one can legally own a living tree? Does the same go for if your living dog bites someone?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Both had always gotten along so they just called their insurance companies and both got the same basic response. Nobody can oen a living tree, but if the tree was dead it would have been my brothers responsibility. I always thought odd an insurance co can legally claim no one can own a live tree, yet legally be such an issue between neighbors...

Um....no. Someone didn’t feel like doing their job that day...at two companies, apparently.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I hear so many horror stories about bad neighbors on this site. Makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have good neighbors. My neighbors are great. In the winter time, if I don't get out first thing to clear the snow, chances are he already beat me to it. Nice people.

I can appreciate folks that have had d***s for neighbors. Fortunately our current neighborhood is great. Everyone takes care of their property and helps each other out. The way it should be.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't mind when leaves and twigs and such from my neighbor's trees fall on my property. Trees in a neighborhood can increase property values and at least desirability so we all win.

I used to trim my neighbor's branches on his River birch when they started hitting the side of the house. I would trim them about 5' off the house. They still hung over my property line but it wasn't hurting my house and didn't mess up the symmetry of the tree.

Top Bottom