• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thinking of relocating. I'm looking at starting in one of the Honda plants in Ohio shortly. Planning on saving up then seeing about moving somewhere south, I hate the cold, I don't care for Ohio much either so I don't plan on staying any longer than necessary. It would still be at least a year though.

I know there's a Honda plant in Lincoln Alabama (east of Birmingham). It's a small area, which if fine, I don't want a big city. It looks like Alabama's gun laws are similar.

Anyone have any experience down there? Hows the weather, political climate, bugs & critters, etc?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    1973 memories in a Pylmouth fury 3. Hotter then hell. Lots of cotton, and lots of BA working the fields. I hope it has changed since then.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The company I work for has a plant in Florence AL. I really like that area. Great weather, food and people. College town so you tend to get a more stable economy and it helps keep you young.

As far as Lincoln, it would depend on how far east of Birmingham. To me, Birmingham is a cesspool. If I had to travel there for shopping, entertainment or services then it would be a no go for me. I want to live in a city large enough to have the amenities I desire, but still stay under 100K population.

Alabama is strong when it comes to shooting sports. Lot's of opportunities to get into various events and competitions.

And bonus; you are an easy drive from some nice coastline along the Gulf if you so desire.

And bonus+; housing cost can be very reasonable.

Oh, and I will add, several auto mfrs are building plants down there in the next couple years and the employment pool is already strained. If you are in automotive (God love you for that), there will be plenty of opportunity.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I like Alabama from our tourist travels. Hot summers though. People seem solid

Agreed. My son goes to UA (RollTide). Even though I'm originally from FL, apparently my blood has thickened up a bit from being in IN for the last couple of decades, because it is smoking hot down in AL in the summer.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I lived west of Trinity for a while. One day got the call to come to the office, bring my birth certificate and get going. It was nice country. Me and Wampus

lived in a house on a ridge that had a booger in it. She would stare up at it and sometimes growl when it was around.

If you like to hunt and fish, camping, outdoors in general it's a wonderful place to be. There's quite a few deep lakes created by damming up hill country rivers. And of course there's the Gulf of Mexico and the redneck Riviera. The costs of living have always been suppressed in Alabama because you can't charge people more than they can pay. So there's good and bad like everywhere.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I lived 12 years in Huntsville. Nice area and lots to do outdoors. If you like to hunt and fish it's awesome. The summers are hot and humid. My plan was always to tolerate the Summer and enjoy the other three seasons which are very mild. If you are looking to live in a smaller community you will find that some of the people will always consider you an outsider (yankee) no matter how much you have in common with them.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

I'd love to have the ability to head down there THEN start working. Not in the cards though. I'd have to save a bit more and also be assured I would have a job to go to first. That's why I was wanting to work at the ones in Ohio for a year or so first, then see if I can transfer or just simply apply down there. It's not really set in stone as a location either. It is on the list of possibilities though.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thanks to everyone that has chimed in so far. I don't mind the heat, I'd rather have that than the cold, I hate the cold. The little town that has the Honda plant looks to be about 40 miles east of Birmingham. I have no desire to live in or near Birmingham, probably not even visit. I've been looking in about a 30 mile radius around Lincoln (besides toward Bham.) Housing looks decent, and not too expensive. I grew up in Winchester, and currently live close to it as well, small towns don't bother me as long as they have a store. I'd probably be good with anyplace that has 15k people max.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have spent about a year of my life at the now closed Ft.McClellan around Anniston, Al. It’s OK as mentioned it’s a kinda closed social system not the same as Indiana’s very poor and not the best in local government and services.
    Have you considered southern Indiana? Milder climate than where you are located and much nicer society than the “dirty south”.
    Toyota in Princeton,IN is hiring?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I have spent about a year of my life at the now closed Ft.McClellan around Anniston, Al. It’s OK as mentioned it’s a kinda closed social system not the same as Indiana’s very poor and not the best in local government and services.
    Have you considered southern Indiana? Milder climate than where you are located and much nicer society than the “dirty south”.
    Toyota in Princeton,IN is hiring?

Anniston is one of the places I was looking at. I haven't looked into Toyota yet, sounds like they should be on the list as well.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've never lived there but have driven through a few times on the way to and from vacation locations. About the only thing I can tell you is that they are pretty infatuated with boiling peanuts down there!;)

Top Bottom