• Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Today is Vietnam Veterans day.

You guys all have a special place in my heart. My father & uncles served in vietnam during the war.
    You were never done right on many levels (putting it mildly) but you paved the way for veterans of my generation and others & I/we owe you so much thanks on that level but also for your service to our country. Thank you for your sacrifices, you will always be Honored & remembered!

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Today is Vietnam Veterans day.

You guys all have a special place in my heart. My father & uncles served in vietnam during the war.
    You were never done right on many levels (putting it mildly) but you paved the way for veterans of my generation and others & I/we owe you so much thanks on that level but also for your service to our country. Thank you for your sacrifices, you will always be Honored & remembered!

I approve of this message. My Dad and Uncles were too old for Vietnam, and my brothers and myself were too young. I did live through the sixties and seventies, though, and witnessed the ****show that was Vietnam. That doesn't take anything away from you who lived it, and I salute you. I do have an employee who's husband was there, and got doused with Agent Orange and Malaria, and he has paid a heavy price. It does seem he's been able to get better healthcare these last few years, and can go to private care versus the VA, so I hope that trend continues. Best wishes to all veterans here.

Steve

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a first cousin that was in the Marines and was a Vietnam combat vet. Received a purple heart. :patriot:

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    GOD Bless every Vietnam Veteran! Thank you for your service. You walked the walk and stood the post so America could sleep sound at night.

jhparsons78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    West Lafayette
    My father served in the Corps of Engineers from 70-71 near Pleiku. We lost him in Nov, 2017. He never talked much about his service, not many of them did. Hard to believe the way they were treated. Whether you support the war or not, they’re our sons and daughters fighting for us.

Thank you Dad, miss you everyday.
    5c38032be01d5e11d00d8f446fb2e9d4.jpg
    3a557c5603130b87bddfc385d8a708e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My grandfather and Uncle both served in Vietnam, Grandfather was almost a Dog Handler (dog died during training, my understanding is that was a good thing as the handlers were regularly shot first in an ambush) , Uncle was Dust Off. I have huge respect for these guys and what they did, I just recently watched the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary (absolutely fantastic documentary) and how hard these guys were ****ed over is astounding to say the least.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Many thanks and eternal gratitude are in order.

You all were put in a tough position back then and suffered the ingratitude by many but this is now and your service will not go unrecognized.

Thank you all.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A couple thoughts. When I think about the Vietnam Veterans who I worked for over the years, there are three things that come to mind: know your stuff, take care of business, look out for your troops. Early in my USAF days I can remember three Senior NCOs from that era. A good part of who I became was from working for these men.

As the years passed the Vietnam Vets retired. There were several retired USAF/civil service Vietnam Vets I worked for/with as well. One who comes to mind was first assigned to Bunker Hill (later Grissom) AFB, Indiana. His second base was Ubon Air Base, Thailand with the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing. His Wing Commander was the legendary Robin Olds and the Vice was former Tuskegee Airman Chappie James. Tony had been out of uniform for 17 years when I first worked for him. Know your stuff, take care of business, look out for your troops are things that never go away.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A couple thoughts. When I think about the Vietnam Veterans who I worked for over the years, there are three things that come to mind: know your stuff, take care of business, look out for your troops. Early in my USAF days I can remember three Senior NCOs from that era. A good part of who I became was from working for these men.

As the years passed the Vietnam Vets retired. There were several retired USAF/civil service Vietnam Vets I worked for/with as well. One who comes to mind was first assigned to Bunker Hill (later Grissom) AFB, Indiana. His second base was Ubon Air Base, Thailand with the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing. His Wing Commander was the legendary Robin Olds and the Vice was former Tuskegee Airman Chappie James. Tony had been out of uniform for 17 years when I first worked for him. Know your stuff, take care of business, look out for your troops are things that never go away.
    I think you and I are of similar age. Most of my senior NCOs were Vietnam vets. I have no cool names to add to the mix like Robin Olds, or Chappie James, but...

In 1984, my First Seargent was a skeleton of a man. He was a badass MF. Hell, I'm ashamed to say I don't even remember his name, but I'll never forget the man. He was Top, agent orange killed this man before most of his troops were probably out of grade school. He will never be famous, but he gave his life for the cause. And trained a lot of troops to carry on in his shadow.

Heres to all the unnamed guys that stood up. They made it happen.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think you and I are of similar age. Most of my senior NCOs were Vietnam vets. I have no cool names to add to the mix like Robin Olds, or Chappie James, but...

In 1984, my First Seargent was a skeleton of a man. He was a badass MF. Hell, I'm ashamed to say I don't even remember his name, but I'll never forget the man. He was Top, agent orange killed this man before most of his troops were probably out of grade school. He will never be famous, but he gave his life for the cause. And trained a lot of troops to carry on in his shadow.

Amen

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My grandfather and Uncle both served in Vietnam, Grandfather was almost a Dog Handler (dog died during training, my understanding is that was a good thing as the handlers were regularly shot first in an ambush) , Uncle was Dust Off. I have huge respect for these guys and what they did, I just recently watched the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary (absolutely fantastic documentary) and how hard these guys were ****ed over is astounding to say the least.
    That documentary is excellent. I couldn't even begin to imagine what these guys went through and to get treated so badly when they came back to the U.S.

Thank you, Vietnam Veterans.:patriot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Both of my uncles suffered the same fate. They served almost the entire conflict. Rangers. Bad asses in the truest sense of that phrase.

The agent in Orange they used to call it. Took them both just took a long long time in doing it.

My hat is over my heart to all who served.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The army trained my brother to be a fixed wing mechanic. He could fix anything which was good because they sent him to a base with nothing but Hueys and Chinooks. BOOM! Overnight he was a helicopter mechanic. Never touched a fixed wing there. Standard army SNAFU. :n00b:

He was in Hue just in time for tet. He survived all that only to battle that orange crap for years after returning and he eventually lost. I still read his letters he sent from there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was at a swap meet in Columbus O a few weeks back and at one of the tables I stopped to do some business with was a gentleman sitting quietly among the wares. He had on a Viet Nam Veteran's hat. I had been talking to his son I guess about a purchase but when I noticed dad I excused myself from junior and let the wife take over the wheeling a dealing (it worked great she ended up paying so I didn't have to). I stepped back to talk to the vet and asked him where he had been and he told me a place that I hadn't heard of before and he saw my loss so he followed up with Chu Lai, 66-67. My dad was there 69-70 and as we made what **** chat I could about the topic he stopped and quite literally with tears in his eyes thanked me for stopping and recognizing him. Well of course at that time a side door on the building blew open and blew a bunch of dust in my eyes so I had to excuse myself and move on.

It doesn't take a lot to take a hardened combat veteran and turn him into a soft sentimentalist does it?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    There was a VV Memorial Bike ride in Huntington on Sunday. My wife and daughter participated in it.

Top Bottom