• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    We are from southern indiana looking for a short weekend getaway this summer possibly lake michigan. Are there any good beaches to relax during the day that have some nearby bars for some good nightlife?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My wife like Glen Arbor / Sleeping Bear Dunes, but that's a long ways from Southern Indiana.

I guess I'd say Benton Harbor area, but the "region folk" will know more than I.

They'll be along in one hour to answer since they're on Central Time Zone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I thought Benton Harbor was supposed to be good, but found out from a co-worker that lived in South Bend that it's NOT a nice place. St. Joseph is supposed to be nice though.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    We've been to South Haven a couple of times and enjoy it. It can get crowded. Don't know about the night life, but close to Saugatuck.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would go north of Benton Harbor/ St. Joseph. Saugatuck is an artsy-fartsy town. Neat shops, downtown area. If you are homophobic, pass.

South Haven is nice. Holland is nicer. You can go to Holland State Park. Nice large beach area, lighthouse. jettys and the General Store for ice cream. Plus you have Lake Macatawa where you can rent paddleboards, kayaks, whatever.

Nice restaurants out near the park, OBI ( Ottawa Beach Inn) is nice. Downtown, a couple nice bars with food. Holland Brewing is one. Catch Sunday brunch at DeBoors and ice cream again at Captain Sundaes.

If you just want a drink, check out the Itty Bitty Bar.

You might be able to tell I am biased to Holland. My in-laws live there so I am up there often.

I grew up in Michigan and I would say go straight past all that and land in Traverse City, but that is some extra driving though to me it's worth it.

If you want more info, I'm happy to provide. I love the state I grew up in. There is no other like it. But I don't like the city I grew up in, lol.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    South Haven is nice but can get very busy on the weekends. I would go farther north to Grand Haven or Ludington. More beach area and a little more relaxed.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You sound like you're more familiar with Holland than some of the locals are. BTW, I live in Holland and can verify everything that gregkl said.

I would stay away from St. Joseph. Big beach, but they have had some trouble in the past with gang activity.
    Saugatuck has a whole bunch of little bars, but not a lot of beach. Oval Beach there is popular with the large LGBT community in Saugatuck.

Holland State Park is super nice. Hang out by the channel and just watch boats heading out to the big lake. Or walk to the end of the pier and watch the kids jump in the water. Holland is getting a bunch of new breweries in town, and if you like craft beer, it is a great place to be. New Holland Brewery, Hops on 84, Big Lake Brewing, Saugatuck Brewing. Its all a beautiful place to visit, just kinda sucks to live here (Michigan).
    I would go north of Benton Harbor/ St. Joseph. Saugatuck is an artsy-fartsy town. Neat shops, downtown area. If you are homophobic, pass.

South Haven is nice. Holland is nicer. You can go to Holland State Park. Nice large beach area, lighthouse. jettys and the General Store for ice cream. Plus you have Lake Macatawa where you can rent paddleboards, kayaks, whatever.

Nice restaurants out near the park, OBI ( Ottawa Beach Inn) is nice. Downtown, a couple nice bars with food. Holland Brewing is one. Catch Sunday brunch at DeBoors and ice cream again at Captain Sundaes.

If you just want a drink, check out the Itty Bitty Bar.

You might be able to tell I am biased to Holland. My in-laws live there so I am up there often.

I grew up in Michigan and I would say go straight past all that and land in Traverse City, but that is some extra driving though to me it's worth it.

If you want more info, I'm happy to provide. I love the state I grew up in. There is no other like it. But I don't like the city I grew up in, lol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You sound like you're more familiar with Holland than some of the locals are. BTW, I live in Holland and can verify everything that gregkl said.

I would stay away from St. Joseph. Big beach, but they have had some trouble in the past with gang activity.
    Saugatuck has a whole bunch of little bars, but not a lot of beach. Oval Beach there is popular with the large LGBT community in Saugatuck.

Holland State Park is super nice. Hang out by the channel and just watch boats heading out to the big lake. Or walk to the end of the pier and watch the kids jump in the water. Holland is getting a bunch of new breweries in town, and if you like craft beer, it is a great place to be. New Holland Brewery, Hops on 84, Big Lake Brewing, Saugatuck Brewing. Its all a beautiful place to visit, just kinda sucks to live here (Michigan).

You live there? How about a meet and greet at one of those establishments the next time I come up?

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We have boated and camped in western Michigan for 25 years. If you want a family atmosphere South Haven, camp at Van Buren State park and the beaches are amazing. The water gets noticeably colder as you go north.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We are from southern indiana looking for a short weekend getaway this summer possibly lake michigan. Are there any good beaches to relax during the day that have some nearby bars for some good nightlife?

Night life?

Saugatuck.

Saugatuck is fine, even if you're straight. After vacationing there last year I told my son and his friends that they should consider a weekend trip up there. That place is loaded with hot, young ladies that are a seriously underserved population.;)

I cannot recommend these guys highly enough...

SEA SUITES - BOAT & BREAKFAST

Pete and his wife Sally are the owners, they are a hoot. The boat is awesome. Saugatuck has short buses that run all over and only cost a dollar to ride.

We went to Saugatuck Brewing, just down the road from the boat, and made our own beer. It was a blast.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    My daughter lives in Ludington. While the beach and state park are nice, the water is a little on the cold side, even in early August. We actually prefer the beach in South Haven and meet her and her hubby and daughter there at least once a year.

If you like outdoor stuff, there are some nice trails in Ludington State Park, and some trails on the north side of Lake Hamlin that are more secluded and less crowded. That area is called Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area. Also, Silver Lake is not far south of Ludington. Great off-road area for dune riding. You can rent Jeeps and other off-road vehicles in town. Mac Wood Dune Rides is a lot of fun. There are also a lot of off-road trails in the Manistee National Forest just a few miles east of Ludington.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I grew up just west of Michigan City, about 1/4 mile from the beach. The dunes are fun with kids, it will wear them out!

I enjoyed Manistee area, we took our family there about six times, used the beach at Orchard State Park just north of Manistee, not busy and very clean, you can camp at the park too.

Top Bottom