• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I'm getting a bit bored playing chess, backgammon, and bridge on my computer. I want something different and I'm not finding it. Here are my criteria.
    No shooting/killing, blowing sh*t up.
    No joystick.
    No fantasy, no characters, no role playing.
    No 50 page manual.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the old SimCity, a board type game I never played. Strategy is important, good graphics are not. Sports would be OK. I did enjoy Madden back in the early 90s.

My favorite all time computer game is Empire, developed in the 70s, converted to PC with EGA graphics around 1990. I've been playing it since 1992. It's a strategic game of conquest based on RISK.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for your time.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Hnefatafl, also known as The Viking Game, The King's Table or simply Tafl, is one of the rare breed of games with two unequal sides. The defending side comprises twelve soldiers and a king, who start the game in a cross formation in the center of the board. Their objective is for the king to escape by reaching any of the four corner squares. The attackers comprise 24 soldiers positioned in four groups of 6 around the perimeter of the board. All pieces move like the Rook in chess and pieces are taken by "sandwiching" i.e. moving your piece so that an opponent's piece is trapped horizontally or vertically between two of yours.

Just recently discovered this game and am enjoying learning the strategy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I used to play the Sims a lot, before a lot of the features were offloaded to DLC or expansion packs. I liked Sims 2 the best. I would do various perverse things to my people. Older versions are available on ebay.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Don't know if it's on PC but I'm loving Happy Glass. It's in the mobile platforms. Angry Birds is always a good choice too.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks much for the responses. I've researched some of these and they're spot on for what I'm looking for!

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I'm guessing you don't get invited to many parties. :):
    LMAO ! So true. I just got back from kayaking the Everglades. Whenever I tell people I go on vacation to get away from people, I get blank stares.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Tropico 4.

Yes, the current version out is Tropico 6, but Tropico 4 is the best in terms of gameplay and the graphics are pretty good. (And it's pretty cheap now!)

As a dictator, you must manage your tiny island and keep each faction and world superpowers happy. This means planning your city and constructing building for farming, housing, tourism, etc.

[video=youtube;bliaRiFNVX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bliaRiFNVX4[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also, Zachtronics makes some really good logic based games will an emphasis on electronics. Some are free, some are for sale on Steam.

Age of Empires II, while pretty old, is still a really fun way to burn through a couple of hours.

And then there's the Total War franchise, a very well detailed historical battlefield simulations - you command an army, so you never have to pick up a gun (or spear) in those. Prices vary by age of the games.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Try one of the Civilization games.

Those are typically more involved - games can take days, even weeks.
    Civ 4 arguably the best, but Civ 5 is much more simpler (aka accessible).

There's also a FreeCiv, which is free and based on Civ 2, I think.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Civilization is the next thing up from Empire.

Personally I prefer real-time strategy games to turn-based stuff. I've been playing the Age of Empires series off and on since 1998 or so.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Tic Tac Toe

Shall we play a game?

8201420665_9da758efe6_b.jpg

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've been playing Civ IV Beyond the Sword for many years now and haven't ever felt the need to upgrade. Every game is different and there are so many options of what to play and how to play it that I've never gotten bored with it.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Leisure Suit Larry! lol

Ahem... my wife and I enjoy a game on East of the Web called Eight Letters In Search of A Word. Basically, a word jumble where you are timed to come up with as many words as possible from eight letters. The eight letters always have at least one eight-letter word and sometimes several. Addictive and no shooting/blowing **** up. (ETA: Or walking into a bar with your studly little shuffle to pick up sleazy women :-P)

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    ll_021.png

I thought that looked familiar. LSL ! I'd forgotten all about it. Reminds me of the Space Quest series.
    I'd forgotten about Civilization. THX everyone, great suggestions! You've given me enough to keep me busy for years.

Top Bottom