• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been in Sundance, UT since Monday afternoon and have been driving in to Provo and Orem during the day. This is far and away the most beautiful piece of God's green earth I've ever seen. I love my homestead and little piece of property but I will be thinking about this place for the rest of my life.

P1V34pQh.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There is some beautiful country on this continent! I've got a lowlander heart but we've talked about a summer road trip that would take us through every state west of the Mississippi.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yep, it's awesome heart aching lovely.
    Go north too up towards Idaho and Wyoming.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Utah is so beautiful. I remember the scale of the landscape out there, everything is so huge, I remember feeling very tiny! My wife and I are planning to take some vacation time later this year and we will be spending it in Utah and Arizona. She's never seen the western US before so I'm looking forward to showing it to her. We've already talked about moving out that way when retirement time comes.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I thought the same thing last year driving across Utah on the way back from Vegas.

This was the view from a random rest stop...

k9L9s1o.jpg

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    The southwestern desert part of Utah near Escalante/Boulder is my favorite place on earth. Love to hike and rock climb there and plan to retire there. Escalante is the only place I have ever been where the grocery store owner asked if I wanted to start a tab. Apparently most locals run a tab and settle up at the end of the month. I never even imagined that was still a thing.

Dirty Steve

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was in Salt Lake City for work a few months back... while talking to my wife one night I told her I was going to leave my resume w/ the company I was visiting. She got all huffy thinking I was serious. well of course I wasn't... after hearing her reaction. lol.

Visited Antelope Island and Alta Ski resort and did some hiking.

-rvb

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not sure what kind of free time you have, Phylo - but if you have the occasion to be further south, check out Cedar Breaks a bit east of Cedar City. It's like a vest-pocket Brice. Brian Head is also a beautiful spot near there, but I wouldn't recommend going up there before the snow melts even in Avis' car (Cedar Breaks is up around 10000 ft, Brian Head Peak about 11300)

View attachment 76103

View attachment 76104

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I thought the same thing last year driving across Utah on the way back from Vegas.

This was the view from a random rest stop...

k9L9s1o.jpg

I have that exact same picture somewhere around here, minus the panorama.

I remember thinking "This rest area scenery is more awesome than anything in Indiana."

But hey, we've got Indiana Beach. :):

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The whole drive on I-15/I-70, from Vegas to Denver beats anything in Indiana. Probably beats anything east of the Rockies. Amazing country.

We are going to Vegas in June for a friend's birthday. I'm pushing for a day trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Been lucky enough, whether in the Army, hunting or on family trips, to have seen A LOT of the American West. With EASE................ I could find a spot out there for sure. From Mexico to Canada, from the Black Hills west to thru the Rockies, we have so much beautiful country out there. Truly loves SE Arizona/SW New Mexico - Sierra Vista, Tombstone, Bisbee, Demming, Lordsburg, Socorro area; All the National Parks - Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion, Arches, Glacier, Devils Tower, Tetons, Rocky Mtn NP, etc.; The area around Grandby and Kemmering COLO; The cities of Butte, Bozeman, Livingston, Gardiner, and the"ghost towns" of Virginian City & Nevada City in Montana; Cody, Buffalo, Sheridan, Ten Sleep, Sundance, Moorecroft, Hullett in Wyoming; And the Black Hill's area of S. Dakota, especially Deadwood, Custer, Lead, Spearfish.... So many good memories from these visits and views out there. Can not wait to go back this fall hunting again. And should a lottery fall my way, my new address will be in/near one of those ares I listed above. Maybe like RVB, w/ or w/o my wife... hopefully she visits. I know my sons would follow in a heartbeat.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have that exact same picture somewhere around here, minus the panorama.

I remember thinking "This rest area scenery is more awesome than anything in Indiana."

But hey, we've got Indiana Beach. :):
    There’s more than corn in Indiana.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have spent most of my life in Indiana and love this state, however; for the past 10 years we have been doing 2 week long vacations out west and if I could convince my other half I would move out there in a minute. It is beautiful for millions of acres, from Mexico to Canada, and west of Missouri. I love this country, we are blessed with a wonderful variety of topography.

Top Bottom