• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Apologies if this should be in the outdoor section. Noticed this ad in our local paper today. Wondering if anyone has tried to grow morel mushrooms ? If it’s possible, would sure be a lot easier than tromping around a chigger infested woods looking for them. Seems too good to be true. If it was easy I would think everyone would be doing it.

Attachments

• 0CFC78C1-2802-421A-96C8-4B678FF5E690.jpg
      0CFC78C1-2802-421A-96C8-4B678FF5E690.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 44

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I am suspect for a couple of reasons. First off, morels are fungi and do not propagate by "seeds".

Second, if it was as easy as this they wouldn't sell for $50lb or more when in season. The free market would have flooded the market with morels.

However, if these guys have finally figured it out and are the first maybe it's true? Why don't you order and let us know how it works?

https://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/growing-morel-mushrooms.html

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Sounds like the advertisement for the “Foolproof Natural Method for Killing Flies". Just send in your $25, and you get 2 blocks of wood with a couple of carriage bolts. Just put the fly in there in and tighten down the bolts. Works every time.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not saying anything about this particular add - but gathering / selling spore-rich soil to sell is nothing new.

It CAN work - as long as you get enough good "starter" and have optimum conditions where you deposit your starter.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Someone posted this here a few years back. I never tried it myself.

[video=youtube;lTFugHA2WaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI[/video]

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    A little research will provide you with a recipe for a nutrient rich base, drop in a couple of dried out mushrooms and run it through a blender. I add a little karo syrup to mine along with ground grain, and several different grains work.
    Fungus grows on grain quite easily once it's cracked in a blender.
    The FRESH water (before salt water wash) is full of spores, wash in a bowl of fresh water & keep the water for your slurry.
    This will distribute the spores through your base, and then slosh it around in partly shaded areas.
    I get the most from a rotting down brush pile.

If you have ever seen a ginsing grow, that's what you are looking for, shaded, damp ground with lots of leaf & wood decay.
    These aren't 'Farmed' mushrooms with the washed out taste, these are full on mushrooms.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    WOW!
    I just watched the video and I never thought of pot ash or adding wood chips.
    I knew it grew better on the brush pile (wood chipper throws into that pile) but nothing like he's getting!
    The guy obviously has an education in this... Uses the correct terms and knows exactly what to add.

I think my next batch is getting pot ash (caustic, pushes pH to the alkaline) and he uses molasses instead of karo syrup...
    I have avoided salt, but he adds it, so I might try that also.
    The aeration is new to me, I'm going to try that also it's the season.

If you watched the kids, they pinched off the mushrooms, and that is proper, leave the roots!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I may or may not have known someone that grew mushrooms in a large trash can many years ago. But they weren't morels. :whistle: It was a pretty slick setup though, with controlled humidity, etc..

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have such a kit reposing in the crisper drawer of my refrigerator, for installation in a shady portion of my landscape later this spring. They claim great success. We'll see how it performs.

Top Bottom