• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Mods, please feel free to move this, I'm unsure the best place for it.

So I have kind of a whim of a thought that I may want to pursue.

I think it would be kinda cool to work at a gun store. I feel like it could be a neat experience, and a great opportunity to learn more about guns,ammo, shooting , the whole bit.

If I were to look for an opening it would need to be part time.

However, I don't know what kind of qualifications a person would need to look for that kind of work. It's a bit out of my wheel house since I've been in IT since ~04.

Does any one have any pointers or know what gun stores tend to look for in potential candidates and what the typical pay scale is? Is it flat hourly or commission or both?

Thanks!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Its sales.

It might not be commission, or high pressure sales, but its still sales. You will need to be someone who can comfortably hold a conversation with a complete stranger. You will need to be able to ask them questions to try to match them with the product that is right for them. You will need be be capable of processing information quickly, being strategic - always thinking a couple steps ahead, and be able to make a convincing sales pitch.

I've worked in a gun store. It was fun. But its not all about just talking to guys like you who also like guns. Its a sales job. The gun store is in business to sell guns and make money. So if you aren't looking for a sales job, dont go looking to work at a gun store.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LGS owners (at least the ones I know) tend to hire people they know pretty well. One has hired customers as part time help and help for gun shows. There is a lot of trust involved in this line of work.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    A tee shirt that says, "I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood... I have no problem with going out the same way..." is a must.

Or how about one that says, "Sure, the background check came out ok, but until I see you eat bacon it's a no sale..."

Just thought you would want to plan ahead.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When I mentioned to the elder MR. Blythe years ago that I might like a job at his gun store, for the reasons you stated, he said, bluntly, "I do not want people who like guns, I want people that like to sell."

End of conversation.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thick skin and the patience of Job.

Not enough good customers to make up for the jerks.
    Not talking about the stoopids or rudes either.
    There are worse.

I like not working in a gun shop. I visit, and when people honk me off I can leave.
    But on rare occasion I stay and speak my mind.

The few idiots that got an ear full, are still idiots.............but the staff found the events entertaining (they my audience).
    ;)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    1. Sales skills
    2. Customer relations/rapport
    3. Product knowledge

In this order. Shoot point blank ads say "no firearms experience necessary".. There's nothing you can do in the store without firearms experience but I assume that the they are of the opinion they can train you.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    A tee shirt that says, "I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood... I have no problem with going out the same way..." is a must.

Or how about one that says, "Sure, the background check came out ok, but until I see you eat bacon it's a no sale..."

Just thought you would want to plan ahead.
    I have seen that T-shirt.
    Edit; That was a little harsh.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I've 30-06 cases fired in a 8x57 after the gun shop goof behind the counter sold them to the customer that wanted to use their range.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A mental attitude that every gun is unloaded and it would be unpossible to be harmed by being swept with a gun.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    1. Don't steal. Don't help others steal. Don't ignore it if you see it.

QUOTE=rhino;7885406][2.] Sales skills
    [3.] Customer relations/rapport
    [4.] Product knowledge[/QUOTE]

Nitreoxide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2016
    Morresville
    The stories are great, you learn real fast that every customer has shot at least 1000 yards, have killed deer at 350 yards with a smooth bore 12 gauge or used to be a sniper. The 100 year old rumors or misconceptions about firearms seem to get stronger. Also everyone has been to tactical training or been in a real tactical situation. Oh and ever gun over 60 years old is worth thousands.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The stories are great, you learn real fast that every customer has shot at least 1000 yards, have killed deer at 350 yards with a smooth bore 12 gauge or used to be a sniper. The 100 year old rumors or misconceptions about firearms seem to get stronger. Also everyone has been to tactical training or been in a real tactical situation. Oh and ever gun over 60 years old is worth thousands.
    I thought that was also the employees :):

Top Bottom