• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have an above ground crawlspace and elevated wood floor. Due to a new door there is an edge that was not exposed to weight but now is and seems to have a little bounce at the edge closest to the wall. I'd like to shore it up with a board crossways from the main joists but am not sure what kind of wood to use. Any input?

It's well ventilated but not insulated. Cinderbloxk outer wall, not real moisture or mold although the ground generally stays a little softer than the earth outside.

On that note, who has an insulated above ground crawl? I've read strong opinions both ways but havent been swayed.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Wood in the crawl space

That's the last place I'd want to be with a stiffy.
    Crawling around in the dirt on your belly is bad enough without your antenna burrowing a trench underneath you. For God's sake, go upstairs and take care of business. Then crawl around in the basement.... comfortably. :rolleyes:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That's the last place I'd want to be with a stiffy.
    Crawling around in the dirt on your belly is bad enough without your antenna burrowing a trench underneath you. For God's sake, go upstairs and take care of business. Then crawl around in the basement.... comfortably. :rolleyes:

Huh, I assume crawlspace was a euphemism for something... seems I was wrong.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have an above ground crawlspace and elevated wood floor. Due to a new door there is an edge that was not exposed to weight but now is and seems to have a little bounce at the edge closest to the wall. I'd like to shore it up with a board crossways from the main joists but am not sure what kind of wood to use. Any input?

It's well ventilated but not insulated. Cinderbloxk outer wall, not real moisture or mold although the ground generally stays a little softer than the earth outside.

On that note, who has an insulated above ground crawl? I've read strong opinions both ways but havent been swayed.

I went with the "conditioned" crawlspace. insulation around the perimeter of the space, no ventilation, plastic covering floor and up the walls, register cut into one of the HVAC trunks.

No insulation under the flooring.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A piece of 2x6, 2x8, or 2x10, treated or untreated would be fine. If it was me, I'd try to use the same dimension as the existing joists. Just cut to fit between the existing joists in the place where the floor needs support and nail it in. If you have room on the opposite side of the joist, you can just drive in a few big nails there, or like the other guy said, you can use joist hangers.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A piece of 2x6, 2x8, or 2x10, treated or untreated would be fine. If it was me, I'd try to use the same dimension as the existing joists. Just cut to fit between the existing joists in the place where the floor needs support and nail it in. If you have room on the opposite side of the joist, you can just drive in a few big nails there, or like the other guy said, you can use joist hangers.

:yesway:

Top Bottom