• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm very sorry to hear this. I actually had the honor of meeting Dick Cole about 5 years ago, couldn't hardly believe he was in his late 90's at the time. He seemed much younger, sharp as a tack, and such a nice, humble, guy to talk to.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    About 10 years ago, I went on a school field trip with my daughter to the Air Force Museum. The date just happened to coincide with the Doolittle survivors reunion. I had the honor to shake several of their hands, and thank them for their service. As cool as the museum is, seeing them was the highlight of the trip. True American heroes!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    How many of today's generation would volunteer for such a mission? I'd like to think there would still be enough. Of course, the MSM would get wind of it and that would be that.
    RIP, sir.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The final cup will now be turned over. RIP hero!

Indeed. As a USAFA cadet I walked past the display of those cups many, many times. I believe the display was moved from the Academy to somewhere else. NOt sure where it is now?

I'm pretty sure the last two guys opened that bottle of cognac or there was a ceremony to that effect a few years back when then the 3rd last Raider passed.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Indeed. As a USAFA cadet I walked past the display of those cups many, many times. I believe the display was moved from the Academy to somewhere else. NOt sure where it is now?

I'm pretty sure the last two guys opened that bottle of cognac or there was a ceremony to that effect a few years back when then the 3rd last Raider passed.

The display was moved to the Museum of the AF in Dayton, I saw them there last summer. At least they decided to tap the bottle they'd saved and toast those gone before before they were all gone.

We fly in the purple twilight, we fly in the silvery dawn, with smoke trails following after to show where our comrades have gone. So, stand by your glasses ready, don't let a tear leave your eye, Here's to the Dead already! And hurrah! for the next man do die. For we are the boys that they send out to fly, a bosom buddy a boozin are we, we are the boys that they send out to die, a bosom buddies a boozin are we.

God speed Col Cole.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That's right. Come to think of it, I think I saw the display at WPAFB when we were there several years ago.

We'll be going back this summer with a group of Trail Life boys, so I'll tell my Doolittle story then. (We were the "Doolittle" class of Academy graduates; insert your own joke).

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Its in the U.S. Aviation/Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB at Dayton Ohio. Free admission although they do appreciate donations.

They have a very good display to honor all of those heros. And thats what they were too. They believed they would all die or rot as POW's but they volunteered anyways putting country first. And it became a rally cry after Pearl Harbor.
    That museum is just terrific and everyone should make the trip to see its history inside. You can even walk on the same Air Force One that brought President Kennedys body back to D.C. and Lyndon Johnson was swore in on. Just too many things to mention.
    They even have machine guns ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom