Anyone ever sold a car via Facebook Marketplace?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What was your experience like?

We'll soon have a new car. Old car isn't worth trading in - but IS worth selling on my own. I don't want to deal with the cesspool that is Craigslist. At least FB marketplace has names attached to contact information...

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Sold one last year on it and it was similar to the Craigs list stories. A bunch of people that ask how much and whats your best price along with will you take payments or trade. After sorting through all that BS I was able to sell the car for cash to a pretty decent guy.

Good luck

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I moved my old truck on Facebook Marketplace. Almost pulled it down due to the idiots and the stupid questions. Same as Craigslist as far as I can tell.

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    Agreed. Very similar to Craigslist. Several lowball offers, trade offers, and the "Is it still for sale?" with no further contact after responding that it is still for sale.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I sold one on Marketplace. Went real smooth. Take a lot of good pictures. The lady that bought ours drove up from Peru to buy it. It sold in 2 or 3 days.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not whole cars but parts and other stuff. agree with what others have said.

FYI some ge-nus at failbook HQ set it up so unless you're on a PC and know better, any message/inquiry/click on the ad results in an "I'm interested in this" message to you and seldom any other contact.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't know if I'm gonna have time to even wash the car and get pics taken this week with all we have to do...

I think I need to now ask about what kind of information I need to include in the add in the hopes of cutting down stupid questions.

Year, Make, Model
    Mileage
    Recent and fairly recent work done (IE 30k miles on suspension, new brakes, new crank position sensors, plugs, etc)
    No, I won't take trades
    No, I won't take payments
    We will be meeting at the police station for the sale. Your bank parking lot may also be acceptable
    Cash only - and I will be checking the bills with a marker
    No test-drives (honestly not sure about that one...)
    Sale is final. No refunds
    No warranty, no guarantee. Car is sold AS IS
    The correct date and mileage will go on the Title

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Dealing with lazy rif raf is just a given bonus when marketing anything via the net these days. Recently sold a zero turn via Marketplace within 24 hrs. Of the 11 responses received after allowing the ad to soak four hours, only one inquiry was considerate/ambitious enough to use language other than the default "Is it still available" and also include a phone number for contact. I'm inclined to believe there's a new generation of people responding to ads just to fill a void in their lives while producing what they perceive as social interaction.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    FWIW, most people, myself included, would never buy a car without a test drive. I’d go with “No test drives without cash in hand” or similar.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I listed a boat for sale at 11:30 on a Friday night. Got a contact from a buyer the next day and sold the boat. (Maybe I priced it too cheap). Good communication. As, as was said, you can check the Facebook profile for info on the buyer. No fees. Good transaction. The buyer travelled from Batesville to meet me in Zionsville. I also had calls from Ft Wayne and other somewhat distant locations. Easy to post pics. I would recommend it it.

As a tip - more information and pictures is better than a one line description and a fuzzy pic. (Duh !) Some of the ads are really poorly done.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I bought my 97 T-Bird a few weeks ago off marketplace. I found using FB messenger a PITA. I drove to eastern OH to pick her up. Lots of pictures help the process.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    FWIW, most people, myself included, would never buy a car without a test drive. I’d go with “No test drives without cash in hand” or similar.

Yeah. i've thought about that wording, too. Or "no test drives without me along, must have cash in hand". BUT that opens ME up to issues should there be...issues. I'd certainly hate to have to defend myself.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't know if I'm gonna have time to even wash the car and get pics taken this week with all we have to do...

I think I need to now ask about what kind of information I need to include in the add in the hopes of cutting down stupid questions.

Year, Make, Model
    Mileage
    Recent and fairly recent work done (IE 30k miles on suspension, new brakes, new crank position sensors, plugs, etc)
    No, I won't take trades
    We will be meeting at the police station for the sale. Your bank parking lot may also be acceptable

Yeah. i've thought about that wording, too. Or "no test drives without me along, must have cash in hand". BUT that opens ME up to issues should there be...issues. I'd certainly hate to have to defend myself.

And yes, supervised test drive. sit in the back so you have the advantage. I too wouldnt buy it without a test drive of some kind. How do I know it will even get me out of your neighborhood if I dont?

Only change would be "or your bank parking lot during business hours". I could see some jackwagon wanting to meet you at 7pm or on a Sunday forgetting the fact that the reason for deviating from the station is so they could go in and get the cash.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    And yes, supervised test drive. sit in the back so you have the advantage. I too wouldnt buy it without a test drive of some kind. How do I know it will even get me out of your neighborhood if I dont?

Only change would be "or your bank parking lot during business hours". I could see some jackwagon wanting to meet you at 7pm or on a Sunday forgetting the fact that the reason for deviating from the station is so they could go in and get the cash.

Back seat it is!

Ooh, good plan!

TF, weren’t you in the class where we learned how to choke out the driver from the back seat using the seatbelt? :)

I think both my wife AND I were, yes. But I certainly don't remember that part of the demo. :-(

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Dealing with lazy rif raf is just a given bonus when marketing anything via the net these days. Recently sold a zero turn via Marketplace within 24 hrs. Of the 11 responses received after allowing the ad to soak four hours, only one inquiry was considerate/ambitious enough to use language other than the default "Is it still available" and also include a phone number for contact. I'm inclined to believe there's a new generation of people responding to ads just to fill a void in their lives while producing what they perceive as social interaction.

I found out after complaining on FB about this that the mobile app does this too easily when just viewing the ad unless you know how and specifically avoid it.

Year, Make, Model
    Mileage
    No, I won't take trades

Others have already commented about the test drive thing and where to meet, though I wouldn't be so limiting. I'd also be more concise about some of the items, put them on fewer lines IE:
    -Car is sold as-is, no waranty, all sales final, actual date and mileage will go on title
    -Cash only, no trades, no checks, no payments

50/50 on leaving off the bit about checking the bills. Consider meeting at your bank so you can make an immediate deposit and thereby let them do the counterfeit testing if you're worried about it.

If the car came in more than one trim package or options, include the trim level. Don't bother with the whole "PS, PW, PL, AT..." schpiel unless your marketing a car that may not have them to boomers who will be looking.

As mentioned, good pics. too many people think taking 2 pics from a bad angle at night with a potato is good enough.

Top Bottom