• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    It looks like my next job might be taking me to to Illinois. Not too happy about it, but it’s a great opportunity. The plus side is my territory crosses into NW Indiana, and I might be able to swing coming back and living in a Indiana. I used to live in Fishers a few years ago and we loved that state.

I’ll be heading as far west as Peru, IL, and as Far East as Michigan city. Is there anywhere along the border of Illinois that is a really nice place to live? Willing to look at all options!

thanks!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do whatever you can to KEEP your Indiana residency. See if you can become a Remote Worker. Do whatever you can to have a domicile in Indiana and live there at least 1/2 of the year, even if you have to rent a room from someone. If there's any way possible to take the job and live in and pay Indiana taxes, do it.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I’m actually not in Indiana now, I moved to Ohio a few years ago. And the worst part is I have a form 4 pending for the last 7 months!!!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    South Lake County, around Cedar Lake is right on the border and an easy commute to IL.

What kind of commute would you consider? I live is very rural and moderately sane Porter County and drive to Hammond every day, 70+ miles round trip.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    You'll save up to 10k on property taxes by living in nwi in an average house. I work in ch***go but live in nwi. The drive sucks, but an extra 6hrs a week of driving and saving 10k... its like getting paid anot$30/ hour fir for commute. Indiana also credits you fir state taxes paid to your state of employment..

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    South Lake County, around Cedar Lake is right on the border and an easy commute to IL.

What kind of commute would you consider? I live is very rural and moderately sane Porter County and drive to Hammond every day, 70+ miles round trip.

Im not worried about commute to much, example I live in Columbus and make the 3 hour one way drive to Youngstown a few times a month. I’m an area manager so my job is spent driving from store to store.

i also set my own schedule so I can pretty much avoid rush hour most days.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In that case, all of south Lake County and even into Porter County may be options. The Hebron area is close to I-65.

I live in Morgan Township in Porter County just south of Valparaiso. I have 2.5 acres on a private road that is quite secluded. I do not shoot firearms on my property (I go to a range), but I do archery and air rifles regularly. The people who live around me are sane and conservative.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i grew up in Crown Point and if i had to move back, it would be south lake county, hebron or even kouts. my mom is still in cp and when we visit, i can see how much it has changed for the worse (in my opinion). Good luck.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    It looks like my next job might be taking me to to Illinois. Not too happy about it, but it’s a great opportunity. The plus side is my territory crosses into NW Indiana, and I might be able to swing coming back and living in a Indiana. I used to live in Fishers a few years ago and we loved that state.

I’ll be heading as far west as Peru, IL, and as Far East as Michigan city. Is there anywhere along the border of Illinois that is a really nice place to live? Willing to look at all options!

thanks!

Peru has a real some real nice state parks near it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Depends where in Illinois. I live in Munster, and the ramp to 80/94 is less than a mile from my driveway, easy access to the pit next door. Munster is Exit 1 on 80/94, so it's basically on the state line. Great for commuting to work in Chicago. My company's home office is in downtown Chicago, so it makes it about as convenient as it can get without actually living in a Communist country.

For convenience to work it's the best, can't get much closer to Chicago unless you want to live in Hammond or EC, which are still in Indiana and slightly less commute time to Chicago, but not the best of communities.

The advantage to living in a little further south (say Crown Point or Cedar Lake) is that your closer to rural Indiana, which is better for recreational activities. But you can add at least another 30 to 45 minutes each way for commuting to Chicago from those locations, and even longer times if traffic is hosed, which it is quite often, especially on 80/94 and I-65.

Last edited:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    My wife works downtown Chicago 3 days a week, and I'm in IL occasionally for work. We are in Crown Point on the East side of town and its a great location to get almost anywhere. We can get on i65 in about 2 min, and take 65/94 all over the state. Great schools, great community, and close to everything. We have family in Munster, Portage, and Hobart, as well. I would have preferred Porter Co, but the only place with this kind of accessibility in Porter Co would have been Chesterton which is a bit smaller of a town.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    In that case, all of south Lake County and even into Porter County may be options. The Hebron area is close to I-65.

I live in Morgan Township in Porter County just south of Valparaiso. I have 2.5 acres on a private road that is quite secluded. I do not shoot firearms on my property (I go to a range), but I do archery and air rifles regularly. The people who live around me are sane and conservative.

I live same area south of division on Sager rd. You should come over sometime I shoot in the backyard lol.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Working in IL is one thing, but there's no possible chance I would ever live there and contribute massive amounts of my money to Chicago. Nope.

I'll also toss it out there that unemployment is the lowest it's been since December of 1969 and wages grew by 4% year over year. There's plenty of good opportunities out there that are not in IL. Even if it's a 1 in a 1,000,000 job, there are dozens more.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Wow we have plants down south that cannot run at maximum capacity due to personnel shortages. Unless one is vested in a retirement or it’s a job you always dreamed of like grooming unicorns no reason to move to IL.
    I would not understand a move to IL it’s a failing state that is going to fail, paying the 2nd highest property taxes in the nation to ensure government employees can have the six figure retirements.
    https://www.weeklystandard.com/andrew-ferguson/illinois-is-a-mess-heres-why

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow we have plants down south that cannot run at maximum capacity due to personnel shortages. Unless one is vested in a retirement or it’s a job you always dreamed of like grooming unicorns no reason to move to IL.
    I would not understand a move to IL it’s a failing state that is going to fail, paying the 2nd highest property taxes in the nation to ensure government employees can have the six figure retirements.
    https://www.weeklystandard.com/andrew-ferguson/illinois-is-a-mess-heres-why

Hey, he might check with CM. He might need a good groomer for his unicorn!

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Newton County is OK. Live in the country and close enough to make a city wage.

I wouldn't expect alot out of the schools though. And you basically deal with alot of trashy people down here. I avoid gas stations and grocery stores down here...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom