Traffic intersection at night....LOOK TWICE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Don't want any of the good INGO members here to get in a crash, maybe even hurt or killed, SO....

DEFINITELY LOOK TWICE when going thru an intersection, after dark!!

Just a half hour ago (12:20AM), I was headed up to the local gas station to get my wife's cigarettes*. Was waiting at a green light to turn left. There was one car coming in the opposite direction thru the intersection. Note: whenever I'm making a left turn at a light, I always stop where you would if the light were RED, and then creep forward as oncoming traffic is about to clear.

This time, right behind the oncoming car (I mean right behind, as in 'hugging his rear bumper") was another car; grey in color (matching the wet pavement) and not a single light on. I nearly hit this guy, and would have hit him, if not for braking and turning my wheels to the right, quickly!

Be careful out there folks, make sure to LOOK TWICE, and turn your dang lights on after dark..... waaa2

* I know; "is there any other reason to quit smoking"?

Answer: Yes! Heart. Lungs. Offensive odor. RIDICULOUS PRICE.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm glad you managed to miss him.

FWIW, I have been the guy driving without my lights on. I'm so used to the lights working automatically that it didn't even occur to me to check them. The car had recently been serviced and for whatever reason someone in the shop had switched the light switch from Auto to Off. I had been in a city when it turned dark and the roads I was driving on were lined with enough street lamps that I could see just fine. It wasn't until I got out of the city that I realized I had been driving for a long time without any lights on!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not sure if serious.

This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with a certain AK safety thread would it? Or am I reading too much into it?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not just after dark. I have seen at the intersection of 163 and 63, semis run red lights at full speed.

More of us need to raise hell at INDOT about this or else elected officials. 9/10 of the problem is that the yellow light cycle is too short to afford adequate stopping time and distance. The stock answer is to drive slower. All that does is move the tipping point closer to the intersection. I have recommended extending the yellow light, adding signs like some states have warning of impending change when flashing, or having the yellow flash a few times in tandem with the green before turning. All I ever got from those f***ing regards was "but the book says".

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not just after dark. I have seen at the intersection of 163 and 63, semis run red lights at full speed.
    Hell, try the stoplight at Ronald Reagan and CR100S In Hendricks county. 45MPH posted, semis,cars, trucks, horse drawn buggies, all run it regularly at upwards of 60mph going Northbound, Southbound is even worse as they get a huge head of steam coming off the train overpass.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Not sure if serious.

This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with a certain AK safety thread would it? Or am I reading too much into it?

Are you accusing him of Kirking? Starting a safety thread on stuff we should already know? Should INGO be offended and ridicule the OP?

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I was riding with my friend. We come to a red light and he speeds up and whips right through it. I start freaking out "Hey man, your going to get us killed!" He replies "Relax, my brother drives like this." We come to another red light and he blazes right through. "You're going to get arrested or get us killed!" "Relax this is how my brother drives." We come to a green light he stops dead looking both ways. "Dude, it's green you can go." "Nah man, my brother might be coming the other way."

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I'm glad you managed to miss him.

FWIW, I have been the guy driving without my lights on. I'm so used to the lights working automatically that it didn't even occur to me to check them. The car had recently been serviced and for whatever reason someone in the shop had switched the light switch from Auto to Off. I had been in a city when it turned dark and the roads I was driving on were lined with enough street lamps that I could see just fine. It wasn't until I got out of the city that I realized I had been driving for a long time without any lights on!
    I've pulled out of well lit parking lots, onto well lit streets, and forgot to turn mine on. Only after a few flashes from oncoming traffic did I make the connection.... (thanks mr. Obvious)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I won't proceed through a light once the light turns green without looking both left and right first. Ambulance at a high speed is what caused me to start this. Plus watching teenagers driving habits.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I won't proceed through a light once the light turns green without looking both left and right first. Ambulance at a high speed is what caused me to start this. Plus watching teenagers driving habits.
    I see 2-3 people a week enter an intersection after the light's turned red.
    I learned my lesson as a teenager. I was waiting for another car coming the other direction, so I could turn left onto a street in the dark. I started to turn just as he went past, then had to straighten up pretty fast. He was pulling an empty trailer.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I see 2-3 people a week enter an intersection after the light's turned red.
    I learned my lesson as a teenager. I was waiting for another car coming the other direction, so I could turn left onto a street in the dark. I started to turn just as he went past, then had to straighten up pretty fast. He was pulling an empty trailer.

Yup!

This is the kind of unforeseen danger I was warning about. People will drive way after dark with no lights on, rush thru a red light as they estimate that they can't stop in time, turn left from the center lane, etc.

Top Bottom