Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pleurisy

User Info Menu

Pleurisy

I have pleurisy. It hurts like hell. It's an inflammation in the lining of the lungs. In my case, the pain is localized to a spot on the right side of my back about the size of my fist. It's very hard to take full breaths, and it feels like I'm being stabbed in the back with a knife every time my lungs get about 50% full. Oh boy, it sucks.

Doc put me on a mega dose of anti-inflammatories, and they are helping A TON. Inflammation is down, pain is down, I just have to rest now. Back to a kind of normal life with a bearable amount of pain at this point.

WHY AM I TELLING YOU THIS? - Because there is good news. If you find yourself in a huge amount of pain out of the blue, don't automatically panic. You may not be having a heart attack, you may not have burst your appendix/gallbladder/whatever, it may "just" be pleurisy, which is treatable with anti-infammatories and rest. And the sooner you talk to your Doc, the sooner you will get back to normal life and feel better.

That is all, carry on.

User Info Menu

I "feel your pain", I had pleurisy about 15 years ago. Unfortunately mine was located in the center of my chest, and put a lot of pressure on my heart. My girlfriend (later wife, later later ex-wife) thought for sure I was having a heart attack. I was on prednisone for a while, and had to wear a mobile EKG for a few days until the swelling went down. Definitely kick back, relax, and take it easy until your back to 100%.

User Info Menu

I've had that numerous times. For a while I think it was latent with me like cold sores or something, stress would bring it out. The first time I had it, I learned it was a mistake to use the word chest and the word pain in the same sentence in a medical facility. It's been a while since I had it, and I don't miss it.
    Geeking out on ancestry; 17th great grandson of Geoffrey Chaucer, and a bunch of dukes, knights, princesses, kings and stuff. Of course, once you turn over a rock and one king crawls out, you're pretty much infested with them. And what did I tell you? Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Charles "The Hammer" Martel, and a truckload of others. This is getting better: "The Bonny Earl O'Moray" was an ancestor, and the origin of the term mondegreen: They slew the Earl O'Moray and Lady Mondegreen

User Info Menu

I felt your pain but knock on wood, not now.
    There's one spot to the right of the left nipple that just acts up sometimes.
    Semi funny story...
    I'd cleared a thicket with a double bit axe and stacked the burn pile about twenty years ago and started getting this pain in my chest.
    When I told the doctor about it she just looked at me kinda said "you got a pain, and how old are you"?
    That was my duh moment heads up on the realty of aging.

User Info Menu

From your description, I'm thinking I'm glad it was my gall bladder. Once that was diagnosed properly, a quick operation and the little bastard hasn't bothered me since.

Good luck with your treatment!

Shooter

User Info Menu

It's also an issue when you badly break ribs or collar bone, and the chest wall gets punched through inside towards the lung.
    Blood gets in between lung & chest wall and the lug sticks to the chest wall.
    It literally feels like you are being torn apart every time you try to breathe.

I badly broke a collar bone, shoulder blade in the military, the doctor put me on oxygen so I didn't have to breathe deep, but that actually dried the lung out worse, and gave me strong pain killers, which made me sleep deeply, but I got slid down in the bed and couldn't sit up or roll over...
    And couldn't yell for help, felt like I was suffocating & being ripped apart at the same time.
    REALLY bad feeling.

Hydrate, anti-inflammatory, pain killers but not the super high powered kind so you pass out and get into my situation...

I took a bullet in the right lung, cut about 1/4 of the way around on the right side to fix the lung, a chest tube when I work up, and all those muscles cut through, and the rib spreaders didn't hurt like pleurisy did (better care in post-op & better pain killers, chest tube sucks blood out).

This sounds counter productive, but they told me if you lay on the effected side the surfactant (lubricant) pools from gravity.
    I personally couldn't tell a difference, but that's what they told me.

K_W

User Info Menu

I've been getting random stabbing chest pains when trying to breath since I was a kid, but they'd last only moments and may be months apart... never mentioned it to a Doc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    This sounds counter productive, but they told me if you lay on the effected side the surfactant (lubricant) pools from gravity.
    I personally couldn't tell a difference, but that's what they told me.
    Good tip, and worth a try.

And holy cow, THANK YOU for your service in the military. Honestly, thank you very much. Both of those recoveries sound awful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K_W View Post
    I've been getting random stabbing chest pains when trying to breath since I was a kid, but they'd last only moments and may be months apart... never mentioned it to a Doc.
    Not pleurisy. This BS is constant on every breath.

User Info Menu

It's important to try to take deep breaths intermittently, slowly as to minimize pain. Failure to take deep breaths can cause what they call atelectasis (closing of tiny air sacs in the lung); which can lead to other complications including pneumonia.
    Last edited by Ziggidy; 04-15-2019 at 16:28.
    NRA - Life

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast