• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Tell me about your Honda Odyssey please. What trim package do you have?

What do you love about it? What disappoints you?

What year and color is it? Do you like the interior?

Do you love your Odyssey? Why?

I'm in the market for a good pre-owned minivan. After researching them I have decided I think I really want a Honda Odyssey minivan.

I'm thinking I want an EX-L, a touring or a touring elite but then discovered I may even want an SE.

I have narrowed it down to a Honda because I am a single woman without someone to fix any mechanical issues for me. I need to find something dependable and yet affordable.

I work in auto finance. I know how unreliable American and German minivans can be.

Everything I've read convinces me that Honda is the best bang for the buck.

There is big price difference in the various trim packages. I can buy a 2016 SE with less than 50,000 miles for the same price I can buy a 2012 EXL or touring with 90,000 miles.

Are the trim upgrades really that important? Which bells and whistles are worth the money?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Being a certified Honda nut, while I don't have direct info on the Odyssey, I can tell you that Honda's are well known to last forever, but they are built by humans. I want to warn you against 2004 thru 2008 or at least be very careful if you buy one as they were known to have paint issues. I have a 2008 Civic Si and received a letter from Honda extending the warranty due to paint peeling. While I don't have a problem, I have a friend that does. Not all do, but worth a careful look over.

Trim upgrades are nice if you want leather interior or other fancy stuff but most of their base models are really nicely equipped. All upgrades are worth it if they contain what you want. Like an extra row of seats, or rear compartment heating and cooling ability. A newer SE will not have the fancy interior, but the insides are still nice. No leather will buy you a 4 year newer vehicle with less miles. Do you really need leather seats?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a 19 odyssey touring. Its a red'ish color.

I was not willing to pay extra for heated steering wheel, and wireless charger, but wanted the rear entertainment so thats where we landed. Its pretty new, so I'm sure my like's, and dislikes will grow as I have it longer, but

The rear entertainment is great. It has a nice TV that is easy to use. I love the fact that it comes with headphone's, and cabin talk where I can talk over those headphones.

I really like the cabin watch feature. I can watch the kids without turning around.

I like the center console storage. It has plenty of room

I love how you can move the center row seats from side to side.

Dis like's

They are serious about their seat belt bell, but its doing its job because I wear my seat belt to shut it up, and that's something I should do more anyways.

The position able armrest's. I wish they just had 2 position's. I don't ever want my arm at a 45 degree angle, I want the rest up or down.

For me it broke down to Odyssey, or Sienna. Your basically choosing what you want more, 8th seat, or AWD. For me I wanted the 8th seat more because I own a truck, and if its that bad, I will take it.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    We picked up a 2005 with around 120K miles from Craiglist a few months agao.
    priced at under 2500 and in pretty good shape.
    I knew it was going to be a good one when i pulled up to see a brand new Odyssey in their garage.

Any way, it rides and drives exceptionally well.
    It has been perfect for our needs.
    I can see us driving this one till she hits 300K ! (Lord willing).

PS It's perfect for me to get in and out of after back surgery !!! BIG Plus There !

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    We have a 2017. Got it new. It's my wife's daily driver.

Nothing to get too excited about... it's a minivan...

I'd have rather she got a Pilot for 4wd, but she felt she had to have a 3rd row seating.

Ours doesn't have too many features. No nav, no leather. It does have rear entertainment for the kids...

I don't like the user interface on the radio/entertainment/settings screen. Too cumbersome. I can't use it while driving even for what should be simple operations. Very poorly done, imo.

Seats fold down easily, and come in and out easily. Do educate kids about climbing on the seats, leaning over them, etc... there was that kid that died when the seats folded on him while leaning over the 3rd row, and I can easily see how it happened.

Best thing about the car is it really does make great power and is geared well. Even with 4 adults and a couple kids it has plenty of power for passing, or getting up to speed to merge on the highway, etc.

Figure we'll have it 15+ yrs...

-rvb

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I think they are very good vans, my grandmother (who worked for Delco and retired from there) only buys them at this point , she gets the EX-L and it's a nicely appointed van. My only suggestion would to be stay away from the 8 speed transmissions as I have heard they have a lot of problems. My grandmother has has 3 of the Vans at this point (she trades then in at 95k) and not a single major issue with any of them so far. Just have to find one that fits your budget.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am not a Honda "guy" ... I am Chrysler "guy" .....

That being said, everything is a "package" deal .....

What you are calling a trim package, is really an "interior" deal also .....

I bought a 2005 Dodge Caravan, brand new .....

I knew nothing about the se, lxi, touring, etc.

What I knew I wanted, was power rear "wing" windows .....

I ended up buying an sxt, to get the power windows .....

It turned out to cost me more Insurance, for some reason .....

so, you have done your research, good on you .....

investigate, if one "package" is gonna cost you more insurance,

Decide on what "features" you want, and BUY !!!!!

Good Luck, and keep on doing the research .....

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm sure you have.... But you owe it to your wallet to also consider the Toyota Sienna. Hondas, new and used, are going to cost you more than a Toyota. Are they better? Perhaps. At the vehicles in MY price point (Accord vs. Camry - the Camry won out due to the regular automatic transmission)

That said, used Toyota Siennas aren't inexpensive.

Don't be afraid to search dealerships in Ohio. I found that, for some reason, all the Toyota dealerships I shopped recently were less expensive than the ones in Indiana. Sometimes significantly so.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    sorry cant help as i have a dodge grand caravan that i bought used and have had no issues with. the body will rust away before the motor goes but if it last me 3 more years i do plan on getting another minivan and have heard good things about the honda.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I'm sure you have.... But you owe it to your wallet to also consider the Toyota Sienna. Hondas, new and used, are going to cost you more than a Toyota. Are they better? Perhaps. At the vehicles in MY price point (Accord vs. Camry - the Camry won out due to the regular automatic transmission)

Don't be afraid to search dealerships in Ohio. I found that, for some reason, all the Toyota dealerships I shopped recently were less expensive than the ones in Indiana. Sometimes significantly so.

It's funny you should mention the Sienna, I've been looking at those as well, but typically it looks like the Sienna's are more expensive than used Odyssey's.

I'll have to look some more. I'm not even real familiar with what they look like. I have chosen either a Honda or a Toyota because of their dependability, not because I actually know anything else about them.

I live near the Ohio line so I have been looking at both Indiana and Ohio. I have my search set within a hundred miles of me.

I do know that I will pay higher sales tax in Ohio then I will in Indiana so I'm factoring that in as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ohio Sales tax on vehicles is 5.75%. Indiana is 7.00%.

You'll pay 5.75% in Ohio if you buy, then 1.25% at the BMV when you register in Indiana.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I am not a Honda "guy" ... I am Chrysler "guy" .....

That being said, everything is a "package" deal .....

What you are calling a trim package, is really an "interior" deal also .....

I bought a 2005 Dodge Caravan, brand new .....

I knew nothing about the se, lxi, touring, etc.

What I knew I wanted, was power rear "wing" windows .....

I ended up buying an sxt, to get the power windows .....

It turned out to cost me more Insurance, for some reason .....

so, you have done your research, good on you .....

investigate, if one "package" is gonna cost you more insurance,

Decide on what "features" you want, and BUY !!!!!

Good Luck, and keep on doing the research .....

My dad was always a Chrysler / Dodge man. It's all my parents drove. My mom purchased a 2005 Grand Caravan new. I bought it when she went into a nursing home. Because I drive a lot (work) car, I let my van sit for a couple years. The terminal rusting process quickly began.

I had the basics replaced and had it serviced. But it will never be dependable transportation again. It did okay for a couple years but now has overheating problems.

My 6 months of insurance and plates are already worth more than the van. I cannot rationalize dropping more than a couple hundred bucks in this van. So a search for a reliable replacement is on.

Between my own rusting experience and what I've seen with the Chrysler / Dodge minivans at the shop, I would only buy one if it were pristine, fully loaded and less than $2,500. I would never want to finance one.

Don't get me wrong, I love my van and how comfortable it is. I really like the stow and go seating but I do not like how the body self-destructed.

I'm a single woman, so another Caravan is not going to be dependable enough for me.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Ohio Sales tax on vehicles is 5.75%. Indiana is 7.00%.

You'll pay 5.75% in Ohio if you buy, then 1.25% at the BMV when you register in Indiana.

I'll have to check more into the tax thing. It is kind of tricky.
    That would definitely be awesome if I'm only looking at 7% sales tax.

If I finance a car to an Indiana resident I finance 7% tax.

If I finance a car to an Ohio resident I can only finance 5.75%. When they go to get their plates then they have to pay an additional 1.25 to 2% for their county taxes. Different Ohio counties have different tax rates.

I figured I would have to pay additional taxes depending on what county I purchased the vehicle in. But what you said makes sense. I am not an Ohio resident I'm an Indiana resident.

That definitely levels the playing field. Thanks for the info.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Being a certified Honda nut, while I don't have direct info on the Odyssey, I can tell you that Honda's are well known to last forever, but they are built by humans. I want to warn you against 2004 thru 2008 or at least be very careful if you buy one as they were known to have paint issues. I have a 2008 Civic Si and received a letter from Honda extending the warranty due to paint peeling. While I don't have a problem, I have a friend that does. Not all do, but worth a careful look over.

Trim upgrades are nice if you want leather interior or other fancy stuff but most of their base models are really nicely equipped. All upgrades are worth it if they contain what you want. Like an extra row of seats, or rear compartment heating and cooling ability. A newer SE will not have the fancy interior, but the insides are still nice. No leather will buy you a 4 year newer vehicle with less miles. Do you really need leather seats?

Thanks for all the useful info.

You're right, I really don't need leather seats. However I want my seats to be heated. It's one of those things that I feel like if I'm going to have to pay a car payment I want to be warm in the winter. Heated seats are really nice. from what I'm seeing though, only the leather seats are heated.

I wish the SE's had heated seats. It would make the decision so much easier. If I find a really awesome deal on an SE I could be persuaded otherwise.

It's like the rear entertainment system. I have no young kids or grandkids to haul around. But I have this crazy thought in my mind that it would be cool to camp in the van and maybe watch a movie with a special someone.

I know it's silly, I want a DVD player just in case I meet someone special to go camping with. LOL. It's like a lot of other things, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I truly don't need a minivan everyday. But for the days I do need it, I want to have it. I thought of buying a truck but I have yet to find one that would be fuel efficient enough to buy as an everyday driver.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

Wow you are so right about the Toyota Sienna. Originally when I first started searching I kept seeing higher prices on them now it almost looks like I could get a lower mileage newer vehicle cheaper by going with the Sienna.

Thanks for bringing it up. of course, I almost had my mind made up. Now I have to start over.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    2000 basic Odyssey. Bought new. It's been very reliable. 240k miles on it so far, I think.

If you want a softer ride, get the Sienna. If you want a firmer, sportier ride, get the Odyssey.

They're both excellent minivans.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DoggyMama has a 2006 Honda Odyssey and it's been pretty good, but she is hard on vehicles, so it has had its problems. :): Most have been electrical - side doors not opening "automatically" (although I think I have solved that problem - "kid lock" was engaged) - and most recently, a battery drain that hasn't been tracked down yet. Thought it was grandkid-related from leaving overhead lights on in the back, but that hasn't been the case.

Last edited:

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey EXL in 2007 with 40k miles and when the transmission went out (know issue with that body style) at 250k miles we bought a 2014 with 48k miles on it (same package leather seats and rear entertainment). We like the leather seats. Been easier to clean up after the kids and dogs. We plan on keeping this van till it has approx 250k miles on it. At that point both the kids will be driving age, so we can downsize our vehicle. Our older van only had the front right bearing replaced and shocks/struts. No issues minus the transmission. Hoping this van will be the same. My only complaint is the touch screen controls. but that is minor. I looked into the Toyota's as I have family that love their minivans, but the wife liked the Honda.

Top Bottom