• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    went to local surgeon apprx. 3 years ago . bone on bone then and still is . condition is slowly worsening . more pain involved the last few weeks . who has been thru the surgery & how did you get along ? what facility & surgeon did you go with ?
    thinking shellbourne knee center or ortho indy . or ? how long were you down & how much pain did you have ? i am 71 & in pretty good condition at 150 lbs. 5' 8" . exercize on a regular basis . would want to return to my part time work asap.
    i know this is a serious operation & would need some help for the days after the operation . comments & opinions from those who have lived out this ordeal welcome .

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I had both done at the same time 10 years ago.

It will take a full year before you are back to what your desired "normal" will be, but I was back to work 4 weeks after my surgery.

Back to work means able to function but sweating bullets.

Let's face it, this isn't like getting a new set of tires on your car. When they replace the joint you will loose all previous sense of the position of your leg.

In other words your muscle memory will no longer be valid and the pressure receptors in the joint will be gone so while standing, at first, you won't know if your leg is straight, locked out or slightly bent. This will need to be relearned.

Every bit of exercise you do will pay dividends. Obtaining and maintaining full range of motion is key. Most go in with the childhood memory of "oh, you had surgery you poor darling. Let's put a band-aid on it, kiss it and give it a month to heal..."

You will be up and walking (highly medicated) the day of surgery. Grown men and women will be pushing down on your knee (pressing it into the bed you are lying on) with all of their weight. A range of motion machine (some doc's use it and some don't) will make your leg flail around like Woody from 'Toy Story'. Those leg exercises that were once so easy now make you feel like you are leaving parts behind.

I make it sound terrible but it is the best medical decision I have ever made. Nothing truly worth having comes easy and you will earn your ability to walk along without having to think about walking.

Do as much as you can of whatever they ask you to do. Give them more than they expect. And as far as pain medicine goes, practice saying in your sleep, "thank you sir, may I have another..."

P.S. I had mine done in Louisville, Kentucky but if you were near here I would tell you which doctor to use. The doctor IS crucial and one is NOT just as good as another in this game. I gave this to you with the "bark on", get your mind around it and you will be fine.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I did not care for Shelbourne Knee Clinic, they wanted to do therapy and I knew the joint was unsaveable. So I went to Methodist and a Doctor named Parr. He replaced the entire joint and had me up walking the next day. Sure, there was pain, but controlled.
    It took some getting used to and it clicked when I walked for a while until it settled in but I can no longer tell it was ever bad and I have no issues with it.

P.S. DR. David Brokaw at Indy Ortho N. put my shattered ankle back together with no after effects.

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I work in Orthopedic surgery and can give lots of recommendations. What’s important to you in regards to surgery? Location? Bedside manner? Experience? Volume of surgeries? The “best” is always going to be subjective and the guys that are known for doing the most aren’t necessarily the best. You can PM as well if you have any specific questions.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've been very happy with all the Docs at Methodist Sports Medicine Carmel. Torn ACL knee and torn Peronius Brevis ankle surgeries (@ ~$30k each, my insurance co hates me). Not quite the same as what you have but they take good care of you + the "in building" rehab people are very knowledgeable.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    went to local surgeon apprx. 3 years ago . bone on bone then and still is . condition is slowly worsening . more pain involved the last few weeks . who has been thru the surgery & how did you get along ? what facility & surgeon did you go with ?
    thinking shellbourne knee center or ortho indy . or ? how long were you down & how much pain did you have ? i am 71 & in pretty good condition at 150 lbs. 5' 8" . exercize on a regular basis . would want to return to my part time work asap.
    i know this is a serious operation & would need some help for the days after the operation . comments & opinions from those who have lived out this ordeal welcome .

Can't help you with a doctor...

But I'm on my 4th set of knees, the first three were round ball versions made for 68 year old grandmas...
    No side loading, over extension issues, step in a depression and you are on your face.

The new elliptical knee is MUCH better, it's heavier built/lasts longer, and it's more natural.
    I hadn't run in 20+ years, not even a jog without hand rails on a treadmill...
    The elliptical knee allows for side loading, and I can jog (other people that aren't 60 pounds overweight) can run on them.

You won't be going cross country flat out, but you can run in the yard without a 1" depression putting you in the hospital.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    im 43 this year, looking at getting both of mine replaced in about a year. steroid shots last about 2 months. im a custodian and walk around 5 miles a day. is there any advice for me over the next year. im going with ortho fw

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    im 43 this year, looking at getting both of mine replaced in about a year. steroid shots last about 2 months. im a custodian and walk around 5 miles a day. is there any advice for me over the next year. im going with ortho fw

If you smoke, stop.

Optimize your weight.

Have your doc doc get you set up with formal therapy for quadriceps strengthening and knee stabilizing modalities. Continue those on your own.

Put it off as long as you can. Your young...not too young by any means....just saying.

Plenty of good Doc’s in Fort Wayne. I trained under several at ONE.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    If you smoke, stop.

Optimize your weight.

Have your doc doc get you set up with formal therapy for quadriceps strengthening and knee stabilizing modalities. Continue those on your own.

Put it off as long as you can. Your young...not too young by any means....just saying.

Plenty of good Doc’s in Fort Wayne. I trained under several at ONE.

dont smoke. do need to loose weight. have lost about 30 lbs in the last 18 months. im bow legged. dad has the same problem at the same age but waited till he was 61 to have his done and passed 6 yrs later. my kids are 16 to 3 so i want to be able to do thinks with them. have a friend that had them replaced at 35. my doc wants me to wait till im 50, i understand y, unless there is something that can be done to put it off ill try.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I know a variety of people who have had knee replacements, all shapes, ages and sizes. For the more medically knowledgeable, other than accidents, what causes it?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I know a variety of people who have had knee replacements, all shapes, ages and sizes. For the more medically knowledgeable, other than accidents, what causes it?

The most common reason for a replacement is osteoarthritis. IE loss of the cartilage surface that covers the bone at a joint. You may here people commonly say “I’m bone on bone (have at it INGO :) ) in my knee or hip or shoulder etc. They are referring to the complete loss of cartilage at a joint. So instead of cartilage on cartilage...you have bone on bone. Bone has a nerve supply...for example you break a bone...it hurts. Same goes for if you rub two of them together.

Top Bottom