Is a Sherp the coolest off road vehicle ever?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I had seen videos, but I got to off road in a Sherp today!

It's a swamp in the river bottoms, the worst mud you can imagine, drift limbs & trees, creeks & backwaters, and NOTHING stopped it!
    Little Kabota diesel engine, reasonable speed on trails & roads, but was simply unstoppable in stuff that would have stopped any other wheeled vehicle.

I couldn't slap the grin off my face when it climbed down trees that were hung up 2 foot off the ground, random log drift piles, plowed through mud pits that I've never seen a Jeep or truck try.

Quiet, easy to drive, unstoppable, reasonably comfortable even in cool weather & rain, and lots of room for gear storage.
    I was amazed how gentle the ride was, I'm used to getting knocked around by logs, rocks, ruts, this thing just kind of bounced over them with very little effort.

I have a BIG WANT on my wish list now!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    SHERP-ATV-1.jpg

Never heard of it. Didn't realize I needed one until right now.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    We didn't exactly try it, but the sales propaganda says it will float with all 4 tires deflated...
    And you can inflate the tires from the cab anytime the engine is running, it uses exhaust gas to inflate tires.

It's basically a john boat with a hard top, and big honkin' tires.
    We swam it in backwater but didn't try current in the river, it will swim.
    It's slow in the water, but it will get around.

It will walk up 2 foot rock ledges or climb over 2 foot logs with no issues!
    The owner actually climbed up my loading dock! (More than 2 feet, but flat top with traction).

It's rural Indiana, so we have a LOT of lifted 4x4 trucks with big tires, this thing slopped through where the biggest won't tread!
    Guys won't go down there with farm tractors this time of year...
    Just plowed through like it was nothing.

I'm REALLY impressed!
    It was stupid fun for me since I didn't get beat up and it wasn't my $70,000 that paid for it...

Why Rescue, Search & Recovery don't have these is beyond me...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Think I'll wait until the novelty has worn off and the price drops to $5000, or maybe I can find a used one...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm not going to mortgage the homestead for one.... BUT.... I have it on my 'Want' list now!

I saw one parked last fall and didn't know what it was at the time.
    It's SUPER capable, and you wouldn't guess it from the look sitting still.

They were towing it on a little utility looking trailer, supposedly it weighs under 3,000 pounds and they just drive it on/off trailer, never use ramps.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Would have made a better/more competent showing if he actually drove it and controlled it and didnt keep bouncing off the side because he was too busy showing off for the cameras. Drive the damned thing and let it prove itself.

I want one too.

Lots of them were riding the side, something I would consider cheating and a safety hazard.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    This is awesome.. wonder if it was developed by the Russion space agency and the folks that invented the AK?? I really think if the AK was a vehicle, this would be it! :>)

ron

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    These are running $120,000!!!!!!!! Not in this lifetime!!! Some China company is going to make one for $15000 and make a killing!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't know where the $120,000 figure came from, but it doesn't surprise me...

The SEMA show had one with a trailer, roll cage, a bunch of (fairly useless) gadgets last year and they wanted $100,000 for one.

The base model, through a guy in Canada runs about $55,000 USD, it's military plain, no leather interior or external roll cage/winch, etc.
    Imported directly into the US it's about $70,000 USD.
    I saw a couple used selling (asking price) of $50,000 when I searched 'Sherp for Sale', and they were the base model.

There are TONS of add-ons, from exhaust inflation of tires, to extra fuel tanks in the open space of the wheels, to artic insulation packages with diesel heaters that keep you warm when the engine isn't running (looks like an S Bar heater big trucks use),
    To all kinds of add on lights, roll cage packages, winches, even leather interior...

Lamborghini makes a 4 wheel drive SUV... Having seen reviews of 'Rambo Lambos' I'll stick with Jeeps...

Sherp is the only thing I've seen that puts a fairly well built Jeep to shame, which is why it really got my attention in the first place.

Top Bottom