• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I mean, not only the track, for it was like watching a bunch of women mud wrestling but Maximum Security lead the whole race and because, maybe he may have been touched by another horse they disqualified him even though he was clearly in the lead.
    Now, I watched it on TV and they had excellent visual coverage up until the point where they say they touched, isn't that convenient?

Well, I have lost interest in any future Kentucky Derby and unless they can produce undeniable proof of a intentional infraction, I'm through with horse racing.

Anyone care to chime in?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    As with anything else nowadays it's about the money. I didn't see it but saw a headline about the "controversy"; my first thought is that somebody somewhere had been "Dissed". Glad to see it was an actual race issue, horse not otherwise.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Oh, I saw a replay this morning and their saying he was blocking two horses that couldn't catch him, what a farse.

Don't try pulling that crap at Daytona.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is a mess. Race number 145 and you decide to do this?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Oh, I saw a replay this morning and their saying he was blocking two horses that couldn't catch him, what a farse.

I'm with you on this one; I don't know anything about "horse" racing but the replay I saw was a race. I didn't see any dirty pool, no jockeys whacking at other jockeys, etc. Of course with any "epic" event there comes certain "expectations". Wish I'd had a hundred on the announced winner.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Yep, it was a pretty chicken poo ruling. I feel bad for both jockeys. One knows he won hands down, the other knows he was given something he didn't earn.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Thoroughbred racing ain't Nascar buy any means, the infraction was simply done in front of millions and millions of folks that understand horse racing.

A foul, according to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, is “any action by any jockey or driver that tends to hinder another jockey or any horse in the proper running of the race.”“A leading horse when clear is entitled to any part of the track,” the rule states. “Except in a straight-away racing, every horse must maintain position as nearly as possible in the lane in which it starts. If a leading horse, or any other horse in a race, swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with or intimidate or impede any other horse or jockey, or to cause same, it is a foul; if a jockey strikes another horse or jockey, it is a foul. If in the opinion of the stewards, a foul alters the finish of a race, any offending horses may be disqualified by the stewards.”

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The video Shown after the race clearly shows the lead horse changing lanes and cutting off two other horses close enough to touch them and entwine their feet, thereby taking any chance those horses could have made a last stretch move. These are not cars, yet many of these comments imply they would respond similarly, they do not, they are flesh and blood and can dig deep to fight for a win, something a car cannot do.

If if that is the rule then I am glad they did what they did, and not like other sports where clear rule violations like travel and fouls are not called because of the fans...

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If a horse goes down, there’s a high likelihood the animal must be destroyed. This came very close to happening yesterday and although it may have been unintentional Maximum Security appeared to impede other horses running behind, even resulting in jockeys having to check up to avoid entanglement and a possible fall. It’s a bad situation all around unless you had money on a 65 to 1 horse. Maximum Security’s jockey said his horse was “just a baby...” and may have been spooked by the crowd but he might have referring to something that happened further down the homestretch.

Oh, and I’d much rather see “the big one” in NASCAR than in horse racing.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Quote: .”“A leading horse when clear is entitled to any part of the track,” the rule states. “Except in a straight-away racing, Unquote :

We'll they clearly did not touch and the jockey could not see behind him and the jockey cannot steer a horse like he would steer a vehicle.

There was no (clear) intent demonstrated.

The jockey did not look or glance back, so no clear intent demonstrated. The horse may have drifted in a turn but it was not intentional and he was in the lead and he was free to move anywhere he wanted.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am absolutely outraged!! That’s it, I’m indefinitely continuing my now 38 year tradition of giving zero s***s about horse racing.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Quote: .”“A leading horse when clear is entitled to any part of the track,” the rule states. “Except in a straight-away racing, Unquote :

We'll they clearly did not touch and the jockey could not see behind him and the jockey cannot steer a horse like he would steer a vehicle.

There was no (clear) intent demonstrated.

The jockey did not look or glance back, so no clear intent demonstrated. The horse may have drifted in a turn but it was not intentional and he was in the lead and he was free to move anywhere he wanted.

Intent has nothing to do with it,
    If a leading horse, or any other horse in a race, swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with or intimidate or impede any other horse or jockey, or to cause same, it is a foul;

Top Bottom