CIVIL IRRELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: All things Atheist and Secular.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Since PAULF was kind enough to start a thread to discuss Christianity civilly, I thought I would return the favor and start this thread.

Here are a couple of articles to start it off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion

Irreligion (adjective form: non-religious or irreligious) is the absence, indifference to, rejection of, or hostility towards religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_secularist_organizations

Secularist organizations promote the view that moral standards should be based solely on concern for the good of humanity in the present, without reference to supernatural concepts, such as God or an afterlife, any desire to do good for a reward after death, or any fear of punishment for not believing in life after death. The term secularism, as coined and promulgated by George Jacob Holyoake, originally referred to such a view.[SUP][1][/SUP] Secularism may also refer to the belief that government should be neutral on matters of religion, and that church and state should be separate. The term here is used in the first sense, though most organizations listed here also support secularism in the second sense.

Have fun.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Is it bring a thread vack from the dead if the thread was never really alive? Is there a god? I don't know but im skeptical. Grew up in a church and was told what to believe most of my life and ever since i was about 15 i started asking questions that were not always welcome. I would say im an athiest in the skeptical way.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Is it bring a thread vack from the dead if the thread was never really alive? Is there a god? I don't know but im skeptical. Grew up in a church and was told what to believe most of my life and ever sincei was about 15 i started asking questions that were not always welcome. I would say im an athiest in the skeptical way.

That makes me a sad panda.

Ever since college, and then later working with college students, I've always been delighted to discuss people's questions. Of course, getting fellow Christian to value knowing, understanding, and having a reason for their faith is often an uphill battle.

Of course, this is the atheist thread, but you're welcome to come to Christianity thread and fire away. ;)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Is it bring a thread vack from the dead if the thread was never really alive? Is there a god? I don't know but im skeptical. Grew up in a church and was told what to believe most of my life and ever since i was about 15 i started asking questions that were not always welcome. I would say im an athiest in the skeptical way.

Are you me? Did the same thing at the same age. I wouldn't call myself an atheist tho, I describe myself as an apathetic agnostic. Basically don't know, don't care.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    That makes me a sad panda.

Ever since college, and then later working with college students, I've always been delighted to discuss people's questions. Of course, getting fellow Christian to value knowing, understanding, and having a reason for their faith is often an uphill battle.

Of course, this is the atheist thread, but you're welcome to come to Christianity thread and fire away. ;)

I might just do that. I've been hesitant to because of how quick some simple, in my mind, questions have turned into emotionally charged responses and lots of stubborn, circular, illogical arguments.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I might just do that. I've been hesitant to because of how quick some simple, in my mind, questions have turned into emotionally charged responses and lots of stubborn, circular, illogical arguments.

Try us - we're a pretty easy going bunch. You really can't say or ask much we haven't heard - or thought ourselves in the past.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    And the same can be said for most of us atheists.
    I tell my friends: "I'm a recovering Catholic."

Over all i can definitely say that the athiest community has been more accepting than the theist community ever has been. I do have to applaud the gentlemen in the Christianity thread for being open to questions in a way that is far beyond what my previous experiences have been. It is difficult to ask religious questions in an educational manner (to seek understanding of their beliefs and their god) when you have the point of view that there's no proof or good evidence for a go at all, let alone their god. I started over there with questions about exodus 21, slavery and the morality of owning another person as property. They gave many insights and a few references to research about the times and culture that i will look into but at the end of the day i still can't see myself changing my mind on the issue. I do appreciate the open conversation they are willing to have and continue.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Don't feel lonely about getting the guff from mainstream Christianity.
    Non-mainstream Christians are treated to pretty much the same.
    :)

Top Bottom