• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    So I haven't been to PB in a long time but I purchased a shotgun recently and wanted to fire 6 rounds through it and study the results.

It's a sxs 20 ga Stoeger and I wanted to shoot two #6 shot, two #3 buck and two slugs just to be sure it functioned correctly and see if it shot to POA.

Like I said I haven't been there in a while so of course I had to renew my info to shoot on the range, no problem. So then I pick out 4 target sheets, two boxes of slugs and hand the counter guy my free range pass from long ago and I mention the shot shells and he says I'm not allowed to shoot shot shells, only slugs. OK, then why am I here? So I put the slugs back on the display and pick up my gear to leave and the counter guy doesn't offer me my range pass back so I went ahead and left.

My first question is, what is wrong with shooting lead shot shells on their range?

The second is, where can I shoot 6 shots on a still board or target range?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    My guess on the shot shells is, there is a lot of idiots out there and with the spread it hits other peoples targets. I don't know of any indoor ranges that allow shot shells.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My backyard.... I can shoot anything I want at anything I want. That’s exactly why I chose this piece of property. Being within a few minutes of the interstate and local convieniences was also a plus.

And everything the OP mentioned about Point Blank is why I will never grace their doors.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I don’t know what kind of trap/berm they have at point blank, but the system at our range gets clogged up from the shotgun waddings and doesn’t collect the lead dust as efficiently, which means we have to pay someone a lot of money to unclog it. We used to allow slugs and 00 buck, but had to ban it because of the maintenance issue mainly, but also partially because at least 8 out of 10 people can’t accurately fire a shotgun without hitting our target carriers or ceilings, and that’s with an RSO standing over them. Add those issues with the recent short pistol grip shotgun craze and I’m surprised any indoor range would allow them.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I believe the main problem is damage to the target carriers/cardboards. The short barreled "other" shotguns/firearms operators tend to shoot the ceiling also. I can't give you the official reason but that's the problems I've noticed when I RSO. One misplaced shot above where you are aiming can take down the cardboard hanger disabling that lane and unless you are pretty tall it's impossible to change without calling the range cold. Since the RSO can't be everywhere I imagine they decided it was best to just limit shotguns to slugs only.
    Where Parabellum is concerned they do allow it the last time I checked but they will also charge you a substantial sum (justifiably) if you disable your lane with poorly aimed fire from anything. Ranges and range equipment are expensive so a lane taken down costs them money. I makes perfect sense to do everything you can to try to keep all the lead going into the backstop and all the lanes running if it's possible.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So I haven't been to PB in a long time but I purchased a shotgun recently and wanted to fire 6 rounds through it and study the results.

It's a sxs 20 ga Stoeger and I wanted to shoot two #6 shot, two #3 buck and two slugs just to be sure it functioned correctly and see if it shot to POA.

Like I said I haven't been there in a while so of course I had to renew my info to shoot on the range, no problem. So then I pick out 4 target sheets, two boxes of slugs and hand the counter guy my free range pass from long ago and I mention the shot shells and he says I'm not allowed to shoot shot shells, only slugs. OK, then why am I here? So I put the slugs back on the display and pick up my gear to leave and the counter guy doesn't offer me my range pass back so I went ahead and left.

My first question is, what is wrong with shooting lead shot shells on their range?

The second is, where can I shoot 6 shots on a still board or target range?

Kinda wondering about the efficacy of shooting two rounds each of #6, #3, slugs to determine POA ? I guess it would depend on what distance you are wanting to determine the gun is shooting POI (?). At most, I would think the indoor ranges will provide a max 15 yard distance to shoot. Few, if any, shotguns demonstrate much of a pattern distinction at that range. A big part of the pattern, I would think, would be determined by the choke constriction. BIG difference between cylinder and full choke. Even to the POI of the slugs. I’m wondering if the intended purpose is a self defense weapon or other ? If the gun is intended for self defense purposes, generally a shotgun is a short range weapon. If so, pellet pattern and density would seem to have little, if any, variability at short range.

I guess determining if the gun went boom each time you pulled the trigger is a valid exercise. The remainder - uh, perhaps not so much ?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I called PB HQ when they changed their rule about full auto. It's the same reason as shot shells. Idiots can't stop themselves from shooting the lane trolleys. PB has to open a support ticket to get the lane fixed and are out revenue until it's back up and running. They have run into delays getting parts. Not sure why because most parts are available from a hardware store. Stupid yes but at least they called me back.

A buddy runs a full auto rental shop inside of Wilshire Guns in OK. They have shooters trash the trolleys all the time and have them fixed in no time.
    https://www.wilshiregun.com/okmg

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I went back to Point Blank today and bought those targets that I wanted to shoot and I mentioned that they had kept my free range pass so they were good enough to give me another one.
    I guess I'll go to MCFG to shoot my 6 shots.
    Oh, and it's fixed choked I.C. and MOD.

As to POA, I just wanted to get an idea of where the two barrels were shooting. Side by side shotguns do not always shoot to the same POA.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Last time I asked, Parabellum didn't allow it. Their concern is the trolly cable. Or they said if you hit the cable, you bought it. Something like that.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    OUCH!!!!! I forgot that I have had a very sore shoulder for the past week but I remembered the instant that I pulled the trigger.
    Yeah, I finally got to shoot the new Stoeger 20ga Coach gun today and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.
    I looked straight down the center rib and put the brass bead right over the X and fired, taking out the X-ring with the right barrel which is I.C. WOW!
    So then I fired the left barrel and hit right beside the first shot in the 10 ring at 3:00. This was all at 25 yards. Now you can't beat that and I don't care if you do.

So I tried the #3 and #6 shot at 10 yards on a 24 inch circle and the shots were well centered and contained within the circle.
    I checked the primer hits and they were good and solid and so far have had no problems with it.

So, other than a very sore shoulder I had a great afternoon.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I was in Top Guns a few days ago. Some newbies had rented a AR & a AK. The 2 guys were challenged enough, but the girls were clueless. One girl was apparently told to just put the front sight on the target. So she held the buttstock under her armpit, looking across the front sight with the gun at about 30 degrees on a target at 5 yards. The RO was jumping back & forth between the two shooters, he did a great job of preventing the carrier from being shot to pieces.
    This is why a lot of clubs don't allow "day pass" shooters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I called PB HQ when they changed their rule about full auto. It's the same reason as shot shells. Idiots can't stop themselves from shooting the lane trolleys. PB has to open a support ticket to get the lane fixed and are out revenue until it's back up and running. They have run into delays getting parts. Not sure why because most parts are available from a hardware store. Stupid yes but at least they called me back.

A buddy runs a full auto rental shop inside of Wilshire Guns in OK. They have shooters trash the trolleys all the time and have them fixed in no time.
    https://www.wilshiregun.com/okmg

Having spare parts on hand for a forseeable situation is only good business. Cable, hangers and hardware etc. I guess they are not that switched on.

And yes, the general shooting public is, well, you already know.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I stopped going to my local indoor range because every time I was there, I saw some person who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Every time they would hit the carrier, track, lights, etc. I would think, "I'm going to have to fix that". It's easier on my blood pressure to remain blissfully ignorant.

Top Bottom