• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Ran across a 2016 Colorado pickup. It has a Duramax 2.8L diesel engine in it. Don't know much about this engine and can't find much about it online. Look like it was introduced into the US in the 2016 model.

Any INGOer have any experience with this engine? Either as an owner or mechanic.

Thanks.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I'd research dpf/def/egr delete kits first. You're going to want to get rid of all that.

In stock form they are constantly breaking down dude to the emissions.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Not an owner or mechanic of one, but have a friend with one that we drove out to western KS for pheasant hunting. Got very nice mileage and has sufficient torque to tow with, but just doesn't get to speed quickly. He's had it several years and haven't heard him complain about any problems.
    --Rick

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A co-worker just bought one but he's not a car guy so all he knows is his son told him he HAD to have a diesel. He trades every two years so I'm not seeing him enjoy at least some of the benefits of them ie last forever. It was quite a bit noisier than I had expected though, you definitely know you have a diesel under the hood when driving it around.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had one for a few years. I liked it fine, we got rid of it because we didnt need 3 diesel trucks (my beater truck, and business truck are diesels).

I had a few issues with it, and all were emissions related, so I'll echo the "plan on deleting post". Its kind of a catch 22. Deleting voids the warranty, but you really only need the warranty to fix stuff you would have deleted.

I never really pulled with it because I have bigger better options. I'm sure I pulled a 2k pound lawnmower trailer or something like that, but not heavy enough to speak on it. It got incredible mileage. We were always north of 30.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I had one for a few years. I liked it fine, we got rid of it because we didnt need 3 diesel trucks (my beater truck, and business truck are diesels).

I had a few issues with it, and all were emissions related, so I'll echo the "plan on deleting post". Its kind of a catch 22. Deleting voids the warranty, but you really only need the warranty to fix stuff you would have deleted.

I never really pulled with it because I have bigger better options. I'm sure I pulled a 2k pound lawnmower trailer or something like that, but not heavy enough to speak on it. It got incredible mileage. We were always north of 30.

A friend of mine has driven full size trucks with diesels for years and keeps prompting me to get a diesel every time I get ready for a new-to-me vehicle. I do have a 3K flatbed trailer. He thinks it will tow that trailer with ease. A long time ago I had a diesel VW Rabbit. I loved the gas mileage.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    A co-worker just bought one but he's not a car guy so all he knows is his son told him he HAD to have a diesel. He trades every two years so I'm not seeing him enjoy at least some of the benefits of them ie last forever. It was quite a bit noisier than I had expected though, you definitely know you have a diesel under the hood when driving it around.

The "lasts forever" aspect of diesel is appealing. I tend to keep my vehicles until they almost drop dead. I've got 227K on my 2006 Jeep. Gave my Buick to my daughter with 157K on it. Got rid of my previous Jeep with 222K on it after rebuilding the tranny twice.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A friend of mine has driven full size trucks with diesels for years and keeps prompting me to get a diesel every time I get ready for a new-to-me vehicle. I do have a 3K flatbed trailer. He thinks it will tow that trailer with ease. A long time ago I had a diesel VW Rabbit. I loved the [STRIKE]gas[/STRIKE] fuel mileage.

FIFY

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A friend of mine has driven full size trucks with diesels for years and keeps prompting me to get a diesel every time I get ready for a new-to-me vehicle. I do have a 3K flatbed trailer. He thinks it will tow that trailer with ease. A long time ago I had a diesel VW Rabbit. I loved the gas mileage.

I'm sure it will tow a 3k pound trailer without issue, but to be honest, more any truck will. If I remember correctly, the 2.8 canyon I had was rated for 10k lbs. I dont think I would put that behind it unless it was a short distance with minimal hills, and no other option. Personal opinion, but I think you will be fine south of 5k-7k. I've seen pics of guys towing backhoes with their 2.8 talking about how it did great, but thats just stupid (14k-15k). Just because it will move it doesnt mean it can stop it, or is a good idea.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm sure it will tow a 3k pound trailer without issue, but to be honest, more any truck will. If I remember correctly, the 2.8 canyon I had was rated for 10k lbs. I dont think I would put that behind it unless it was a short distance with minimal hills, and no other option. Personal opinion, but I think you will be fine south of 5k-7k. I've seen pics of guys towing backhoes with their 2.8 talking about how it did great, but thats just stupid (14k-15k). Just because it will move it doesnt mean it can stop it, or is a good idea.

Yeah. You need a dully to do that.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a 2016 diesel Colorado.

I like it. Fuel economy is great. The only thing I did not like was it being sluggish from a stop. I flashed the TCM as part of a tune and it completely changed how it drove. I ended up deleting it and am happy with the new found power and drive ability. I can see 700 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

I never had any problems directly related to the diesel emissions other than a check engine light after a recall for a sensor replacement.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Baby Dmax Colorado/Canyon is rated for 7700lb tow capacity as a crew cab 4x4.

I previously owned a 2016 3.6L Colorado, it did “okay”

e28d979d6e5e5e81efb9ef59a30d8047.jpg

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    OP, I can't speak for this EXACT engine, but I can speak generally with my knowledge of diesel engines. I looked into these heavily, but decided the price and time wasn't right.

Now, here's what I CAN tell you. As others have stated, the whole emissions thing is an absolute pain in the ass. DEF, sensors, etc are just idiotic. You won't win any races with this Dirtymax. I've heard it's a turd from a full stop, but that to be expected with a diesel. One thing you need to look into, Duramax engines have a tendency to absolutely eat fuel injectors. We ran a 2007 Duramax at work, and we ended up offing it for a 5.9 Cummins because my boss was spending $1200 every month to replace the injectors. Now, pretty much every diesel engine is hit or miss outside of the 5.9 cummins and 7.3 PowerStroke, but the Max's in particular are known for the injector problems. Other Duramax issues we had where coolant actually leaking INTO the engine, battery life issues, and oil pressure problems. Again, not dumping on Duramax, these are just known issues and issues we had when running them.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    OP, I can't speak for this EXACT engine, but I can speak generally with my knowledge of diesel engines. I looked into these heavily, but decided the price and time wasn't right.

Now, here's what I CAN tell you. As others have stated, the whole emissions thing is an absolute pain in the ass. DEF, sensors, etc are just idiotic. You won't win any races with this Dirtymax. I've heard it's a turd from a full stop, but that to be expected with a diesel. One thing you need to look into, Duramax engines have a tendency to absolutely eat fuel injectors. We ran a 2007 Duramax at work, and we ended up offing it for a 5.9 Cummins because my boss was spending $1200 every month to replace the injectors. Now, pretty much every diesel engine is hit or miss outside of the 5.9 cummins and 7.3 PowerStroke, but the Max's in particular are known for the injector problems. Other Duramax issues we had where coolant actually leaking INTO the engine, battery life issues, and oil pressure problems. Again, not dumping on Duramax, these are just known issues and issues we had when running them.

Cummins for the win.

Top Bottom