• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am way beyond my limit to make and remember passwords to everything. Do you have recommendations/experience with password management software? I want to make random character passwords and have it stored in a vault and then just 2FA my way into things or however thes services work. Just had my dominos account hacked and am tired of it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Lastpass for me too. I went Premium years ago.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I let my apple manage all my passwords. I think you have to use safari, but I get to use them on my iMac and my iPad.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I use Password Agent. It's free if you keep 20 or fewer accounts per file.

I keep it on my work laptop and server at home. And email the files to family. Since the files are heavily encrypted, it's GTG.

I'm old school. I keep them in a notepad file.
    I strongly advise getting a free program (see above) that keeps those in an encrypted format. If for no other reason than to can back them up. Or take them with you on a USB drive and if you lose it, then the finder can't access them.

Second advantage is that it generates large random passwords instantly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Been thinking about LastPass. Our IT guys thinks it's the best one going right now. I'm still a little leery of using one but what Iv'e heard, if it's true, is that even if someone hacks LastPass, they won't be able to get all your "real" passwords.

I wish people wouldn't try to steal from us...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have heard good things about lastpass. I'll have to look at some demo videos about how it actually works. I am to the point of repeating passwords (but never my INGO pwd of course...) and that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Notepaper, scratch pads, stick ems, post its all clipped together...... It's up to about an inch thick now days. :n00b:

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    LastPass for web related users and pw's.

KeePass for local devices like firewalls, routers and switches.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Do you guys use those password companies for your banks and credit cards too?

I use LastPass for those. I use really long passwords for the banking sites. The fill forms or notes for cards are secured with a secondary passcode over and above the Master password.

Master passcode is changed four times a year. I also backup the entire vault to a CSV file, stored on a couple USB keys and those are stored in a safe. They are updated every time the master passcode is changed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If it's a password, and losing it or having it stolen would be bad, then it goes into the "electronic vault".

It's not really a "password company", it's a program that stores a database of passwords securely.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Lastpass has an excellent track record. Even their incident record shows that they are very responsible and handle problems quickly and effectively. They do not have access to your account info, but do provide a "cloud" repository so that you can access your password info from anywhere.

That said, I'm even more paranoid and use Keepass/KeepassX. It is open source, well respected and the data doesn't go out to any company at all. That means that data backups and remote access to account info is up to you to setup.

Good choice to get a password manager. Make sure it covers all of the platforms you are interested in (desktop & phone OS). Secure it with a good password and ideally a second factor authentication item (2FA) and make sure you have backups as losing access to all those credentials is very nasty. I don't know most of my own passwords. They are generally 20+ gibberish characters.

I trust Keepass with that and more. Some of my medical info, my lock combinations, etc. These apps take data security very seriously and you'd have a hard time finding something better. Just one of many examples: when you ask it to automatically type in your userid/password on a web site, you can specify that it be obscured. That means that the characters will be filled in in a semi-random order (ex: first two characters, last three characters, insert remaining characters) using two different data channels. That means that even key logger malware (which monitor everything you type) will have a hard time successfully interpreting your info.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom