• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    B-52H Nicknamed "Wise Guy" Becomes The Second To Ever Come Back From The Bone Yard

For only the second time in U.S. Air Force history, the service has brought a B-52H Stratofortress bomber out of storage Boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona and delivered it to an operational unit. The aircraft, with the serial number 60-0034 and nicknamed Wise Guy, touched down at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana earlier today [14 May 2019], where it will join the 307th Bomb Wing, the only bomb wing in the Air Force Reserve.

When the 5th Bomb Wing sent Wise Guy to the Bone Yard in 2008, it seems that the personnel from the unit may have a nagging feeling in the back of their minds that the bomber might not be done with its service just yet. Someone left a note on a panel inside the plane that reads as follows:
    "AMARG, this 60-034, a Cold Warrior that stood sentinel over America from the darkest days of the Cold War to the global fight against terror. Take good care of her... Until we need her again."​

More info and pix at the link.

5cdc3736021b4c0cf01f10a4.jpg

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    That one was built in 1960 according to the article. That will make it 60 years in service next year. The article also said there are plans to keep some of them flying until possibly 2050, that would just be amazing for an airframe to last that long considering the conditions they were flown in the past. Whoever designed the Buff sure earned their pay.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Now we just need to bring back the USS Iowa. park that 5 miles off shore in the Straits of Hormuz and it could hit targets 30 miles inland.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I about had a heat attack I thought you were talking about people!

You must still have a service commitment. I saw the thread title and, no biggie. I'm passed the 30 year commitment and I've been retired over 5 years. Things are going real bad if I get recalled to active duty.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, I was hoping you were talking about mothballed equipment, not personnel!
    I couldn't imagine going active again. Woof!!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Yeah I thought WTF is this guess I need to start digging stuff out of the shed.
    Then find out they are talking about 50 year old airplanes that we are going to keep using until we get flying saucers.

I have been retired for more than 5 years but the way my luck goes I could see me getting orders to report to FT Polk, La for a third tour!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Good to know. Barometers are handy.

It'll be space aliens or to avoid initiating a draft. At that point it will be come as you are, three different camo patterns and a bandolier of 00 Buck.

Top Bottom