• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have been sick as heck the last couple of weeks. Had neck surgery last week and worked like a dog this week while trying to recover. Seen tomorrow is free fishing day and thought about taking the granddaughter fishing in the afternoon. Just wondering where you can get live bait now days? I am wondering about minnows and crickets mainly. I didnt think about it until I started thinking about going shopping....then I realized we have Wal-Mart and Dicks and that's about it. I miss the days of "that place in Clermont", "Galyan's" and "Avon Bait and Tackle". I am West of Indy.....any ideas of any place close by? Thanks

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Wally World has asst. of worms but no live bait. Dump your worms out on a fishing regulation book first to check them tho. Sneek in the garage part for short walk and quick check out.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Walmart sells Canadian worms, and I think the fish hate them. I have a feeling they taste funny. I was on the look out for some grubs (bemoths, maggots, whatever) as I know they are like candy to certain blue gilled fish around here. I'd like some crickets too....can't seem to find a bait store around here anymore....and I don't spend any of my money at Dick's.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, and May through September "time of the locusts" comes later this far north so the grass hoppers aren't volunteering for bait duty yet.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would have said Westside Bait and Tackle, but I believe they closed up. That place had every kind of live bait imaginable. Not sure if there is another place in that style of things or not.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks guys. Times have sure changed. Use to be bait shops everywhere. As a kid I would love going in them places almost daily. Maybe Amazon will bring me a few dozen minnows...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not as common now, but they can still be found. Google bait shops and the area you're going fishing in.

Here is a search for Hendricks county. If you go to the link and click on more places several more will pop up.
    data=xNrQRCiwztFD32n0uNx1rpITVGKdbKUMFIu-4vPhzqgMCwMF7VNvUSUlJxbmhuw9iYa6E_ezA6ZkL1qnZJkEFVAcE3um1iPfeFGR_oe6ualdFgJW8e4AXdZAdh5tUgvmsOk6BRQgz7pV0YE6Gu0hZZC9NKiX2eX2mcLt2eTgM8Tuca2XJIAyqD4qqByMuxhByLhslIKW2K14n_vAFrCA9bDCv0EK3M4B4W8OiOCbI4W8sPLs7fDEucK1yW5KmbCwG8fN-70ppCZkUEkTb7TJXSWkbfWG1FwphHWzu0XfLoc_VdQMqclGFihV5BkJVntojCMKOpTs9m3Lk10pNgUm4Oy6lJzbuGnzs_lqxZmNH36PJO7Mj7J3k-G9Tc18PIplEaeOAC5x_4M1Q7NNwGzIOf4IjXS06liwi6EsEev36hgOWPytVGvbqsjr49SBQbirmqUOwDcC-wthXc6iUeRIROTR99XdlW1BVrg0IgRybAy7F9sSdyE26gTQPhWptZvAAz2QibzbrmoWgbx-HsvswXgqUFkHlAl3oEm9JCtZDfZ68ny3TXmoeNXEbvxfUtLSSa5WhgrfcgrwxqhtGk207q9FTyIKexBStBDfOD21ttRR67tQdAvST4Z6BEaXMq8wbyZobmcQSGHxIvmF3pC_dgPKwRFKMB4F-B9-fxfXsgO6OSqx

https://www.google.com/search?q=hen...69i57j33l2.25646j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not as common now, but they can still be found. Google bait shops and the area you're going fishing in.

Here is a search for Hendricks county. If you go to the link and click on more places several more will pop up.
    data=xNrQRCiwztFD32n0uNx1rpITVGKdbKUMFIu-4vPhzqgMCwMF7VNvUSUlJxbmhuw9iYa6E_ezA6ZkL1qnZJkEFVAcE3um1iPfeFGR_oe6ualdFgJW8e4AXdZAdh5tUgvmsOk6BRQgz7pV0YE6Gu0hZZC9NKiX2eX2mcLt2eTgM8Tuca2XJIAyqD4qqByMuxhByLhslIKW2K14n_vAFrCA9bDCv0EK3M4B4W8OiOCbI4W8sPLs7fDEucK1yW5KmbCwG8fN-70ppCZkUEkTb7TJXSWkbfWG1FwphHWzu0XfLoc_VdQMqclGFihV5BkJVntojCMKOpTs9m3Lk10pNgUm4Oy6lJzbuGnzs_lqxZmNH36PJO7Mj7J3k-G9Tc18PIplEaeOAC5x_4M1Q7NNwGzIOf4IjXS06liwi6EsEev36hgOWPytVGvbqsjr49SBQbirmqUOwDcC-wthXc6iUeRIROTR99XdlW1BVrg0IgRybAy7F9sSdyE26gTQPhWptZvAAz2QibzbrmoWgbx-HsvswXgqUFkHlAl3oEm9JCtZDfZ68ny3TXmoeNXEbvxfUtLSSa5WhgrfcgrwxqhtGk207q9FTyIKexBStBDfOD21ttRR67tQdAvST4Z6BEaXMq8wbyZobmcQSGHxIvmF3pC_dgPKwRFKMB4F-B9-fxfXsgO6OSqx

https://www.google.com/search?q=hen...69i57j33l2.25646j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Tackle Service Center does not sell live bait, at least last time I was in there. Very small shop, and more for service work, though they do sell some used stuff, etc that can occasionally net a decent item.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know you are over west of Indy but incase someone else jumps in the thread I know Terre Haute Guns on the East side of Terre Haute sells minnows, gold fish, crickets, and worms. It's a lot cheaper than pet stores and gas stations too. There is a place called Buck and Dumb Bass over west of Cloverdale that I know of too but I haven't been in for awhile to know what they have.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Tackle Service Center does not sell live bait, at least last time I was in there. Very small shop, and more for service work, though they do sell some used stuff, etc that can occasionally net a decent item.

How long ago were you there? Might be new. Their website says "now selling live bait". It seems they also sell firearms online, no idea about in store.
    LIVE BAIT

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How long ago were you there? Might be new. Their website says "now selling live bait". It seems they also sell firearms online, no idea about in store.
    LIVE BAIT

Ah, ok. I never noticed live bait there, but it's been since last summer I was in there... interesting. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but just never noticed it in there. I always went in to check out what they may have for used gear that was in my interest.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    In the 70s, in the summertime, my brother and I would each take a bucket and a flashlight and we'd walk to the nearby golf course at night and we'd hunt night crawlers to sell to a local bait shop. I believe we got 2-cents a-worm, if I remember right.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like Ave's may be the best for me, never knew it was there. I didn't get to go fishing yesterday, ended up working too late. I think I will go to Ave's tomorrow to see what they have and maybe buy a fishing license. I have not had a fishing license in 30 years. Thanks again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In the 70s, in the summertime, my brother and I would each take a bucket and a flashlight and we'd walk to the nearby golf course at night and we'd hunt night crawlers to sell to a local bait shop. I believe we got 2-cents a-worm, if I remember right.

With the rain today, tonight would be a good bet for finding some nightcrawlers (as long as the temps don't drop too much). My dad used to pay me and a buddy a penny a worm. (He used to go on and on about how they were a whole nickel apiece in bait shops!) He even dug a "worm bed" out back, filled with Buss Bedding to keep them in. We'd rarely have to buy nightcrawlers. We always stocked up before our trips to Canada every year. I remember it was always a bonus if you could find two worms that were "doing it". You could catch two with one grab. :):

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have been sick as heck the last couple of weeks. Had neck surgery last week and worked like a dog this week while trying to recover. Seen tomorrow is free fishing day and thought about taking the granddaughter fishing in the afternoon. Just wondering where you can get live bait now days? I am wondering about minnows and crickets mainly. I didnt think about it until I started thinking about going shopping....then I realized we have Wal-Mart and Dicks and that's about it. I miss the days of "that place in Clermont", "Galyan's" and "Avon Bait and Tackle". I am West of Indy.....any ideas of any place close by? Thanks

Both crickets and minnows are great baits but not necessarily the best choices for beginners since they are soft and easy for fish to steal without getting hooked. IMO, bee moths stay on the hook a lot better(often you can catch multiple fish on one), are easier to handle and nearly as effective.

Top Bottom