• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Looking for a new to us farm truck, and first truck for our son. Local lot has a 99 Dually 128k Four speed overdrive. Its a V10 4x4 maybe a bit more than we need, but price seems fair. Any opinions on these v 10 ok?

Thanks

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have the V10 in my 2001 Excursion. They are a good running engine and I see them with 200 to 300 hundred thousand miles.

I get around 10 mpg in my Excursion.

Only two real issues with the V10 I know of. They like only Ford spark plugs. I have heard of other brand plugs go shooting out of the block. The other issue is the exhaust manifold studs will break off. I had 16 of my 20 studs break off, had a buddy fix it for me. Keep the oil changed and your good to go.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    We have the v10 in our 2004 Excursion. It has 185,000 miles on it. Engine and transmission have had zero trouble. It pulls great and drives great. Like all of them, needs ball joints around 100k and has eaten up a couple alternators probably caused by all the kid devices plugged in. Averages 11.5 mpg. Just now starting to get some rust on it. I put new plugs in at 150k. It uses about a quart of oil between changes. I think the v10 is good to go.

Sawmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    I have a 99 F350

Come on people. Stop bypassing the classifieds. Get your posts or do the sight support thing.

That is all.

-CM-

Last edited by a moderator:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the V10 in my 2001 Excursion. They are a good running engine and I see them with 200 to 300 hundred thousand miles.

I get around 10 mpg in my Excursion.

Only two real issues with the V10 I know of. They like only Ford spark plugs. I have heard of other brand plugs go shooting out of the block. The other issue is the exhaust manifold studs will break off. I had 16 of my 20 studs break off, had a buddy fix it for me. Keep the oil changed and your good to go.

Also beware the spark plugs like to break off in the head. There is a special kit available to remove them...with copious amounts of penetrating oil it work well. Doesn't matter what plugs are used they are prone to spitting them out...which requires a special threaded insert kit to repair or replace the head.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Did I miss something? Not sure what the classifieds have to do with here?

Yes, you missed something. Sawmiler basically put an ad to sell on his 99 F350 with a request to PM him for more info. I don't think that was his intention. He was probably reading the thread and just happened to be selling his truck and posted the info. But rules are rules.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Looking for a new to us farm truck, and first truck for our son. Local lot has a 99 Dually 128k Four speed overdrive. Its a V10 4x4 maybe a bit more than we need, but price seems fair. Any opinions on these v 10 ok?

Thanks

I own a 2000 F350 CC 8' bed 7.3.... I will say this, I get 15-17 on the highway while driving the speed limit. I have always enjoyed owning a dually.
    But understand that when you drive big you will pay big with maintenance and repairs. Price a set of six, ten plys before you plunk down your hard earned cash.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    For a while I was putting 25k miles a year on a 2002 F250. It’s a great truck. My only gripe is that Indiana roads pulverize front end parts.

I had to do ball joints, some end links, wheel bearings, and a steering box. I also had a phase where brake calipers always seized up because of the stupid slide pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I had an 01 f250 with a v10. It was a great truck. We blew out two spark plugs under extremely heavy load and had all of them heli-coiled when replaced. The only other issue was brake calipers locking up. The guide pins are prone to rust.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yes, you missed something. Sawmiler basically put an ad to sell on his 99 F350 with a request to PM him for more info. I don't think that was his intention. He was probably reading the thread and just happened to be selling his truck and posted the info. But rules are rules.

Ok makes sense now. Thank you

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I had an 01 f250 with a v10. It was a great truck. We blew out two spark plugs under extremely heavy load and had all of them heli-coiled when replaced. The only other issue was brake calipers locking up. The guide pins are prone to rust.

Wonder if all of them are prone to plug issue's? Our main use would be for short trips no heavy towing.

Top Bottom